• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

MD To Be

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

P

palphonse

I am in a surgical residency program in Houston, Tx. My fiance' is in her last year of nursing school in Augusta, Ga. We plan to get married in October 2001 in Augusta, Ga. My question is whether I should get a prenuptial agreement prior to getting married. Is it overkill since I haven't even started my practice yet. I will open my practice in about 3 years in Houston, Tx. As far as current assests she has none and for debts, she has school loans totaling about $20,000.00. My assets include a home which I bought valued at $110,000.00 and I have med school loans totaling about $68,000.00.

LegalBeagle

palphonse said:
I am in a surgical residency program in Houston, Tx. My fiance' is in her last year of nursing school in Augusta, Ga. We plan to get married in October 2001 in Augusta, Ga. My question is whether I should get a prenuptial agreement prior to getting married. Is it overkill since I haven't even started my practice yet. I will open my practice in about 3 years in Houston, Tx. As far as current assests she has none and for debts, she has school loans totaling about $20,000.00. My assets include a home which I bought valued at $110,000.00 and I have med school loans totaling about $68,000.00.
Sounds to me like you are pretty even at the moment.. and since she has and will be a major factor in you reaching your goals, then I would say no.. others will disagree but if you truly do not want to share your future rewards then don't get married. For me, prenups are when someone already has a great deal of assets, not when they think they will have in the future.

My 2c

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">