• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Reduce Child Support

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Taxing Matters

Overtaxed Member
What is the name of your state? El Paso

Hallo. So my fiancé is the most marvelous guy ever. He's got a darling 9 year old kiddo with an absolute horror of a human being for a mother.
Not an uncommon feeling of a girlfriend to a divorced/separated dad (or boyfriend to a divorced/separated mom). Dad paints his ex as the most horrible person ever to win the sympathy of the girlfriend to his situation, and she buys into it hook, line, and sinker because she's in love with the boyfriend and is willing to accept what he says at face value. But in my experience dealing with divorced/separated couples it is rare that it is truly that one sided — one of them a true saint, the other the devil incarnate. Usually there is some blame to go around to both of them for what caused their relationship to fail and usually both have had issues post-break up dealing with the other. So I suggest you not take everything he tells you as gospel and I suggest you also think about this: if he is so willing to trash his ex to you, then should you and he break up later, what sorts of stories will he then start telling about you?

Thanks to all her shenanigans, my HH now has a restraining order against him which keeps him from seeing darling daughter at all. We're pretty devastated and have no hope that this will ever be resolved in our favor.
While it is not all that difficult in many states to get a temporary restraining order, getting a permanent restraining order is another matter. She had to have evidence sufficient to convince the judge the permanent restraining order was justified. Assuming your fiancé contested the permanent restraining order, this would suggest that your fiancé did indeed present some behavior that warranted it. That too should be something that gets your attention, as he could well repeat that same kind of thing with you later on. The phrase "where there is smoke, there's fire" comes to mind.

He pays about absolute FORTUNTE in child support every week. He pays $175 a week to that awful wretch when he can't see his own child. It's not fair.
Understand that the money he pays is to support his child. He had a kid with her and he has the legal and moral obligation to support that child. And surprise, raising a kid is not cheap. Child support is based on the incomes of the two parents and takes into account the time the child spends with each parent since when a parent has the child he or she has expenses to pay for that child. Most states use formulas to determine support as at least a starting point, and presumably your fiancé was ordered to pay $175/week because that is what the state's formula said was justified. So if he participated in the child support hearings the amount of child support is probably fair, at least as far as the state is concerned. your feelings about it notwithstanding.

If he can't even see his own daughter, is there a way to get his child support reduced?
If sufficient time has passed since the child support order was made final and if the financial situation of either your fiancé (for the worse) or the mother (for the better) have changed then he may succeed in getting support reduced. Otherwise, it's unlikely to happen.

Why should he pay when he gets no benefits from having a child?
Because he fathered that child and has an obligation to support that child regardless of whether he sees the child or not. Child support is not a price you pay to get visitation with the kid. They are two separate issues. He has a right to visitation/joint custody if he wants it and assuming that he does not pose such a significant threat to the child that he'd be barred from all visitation. If he really wanted visitation, if he was truly really committed to the child, he could have it. It might have to be supervised visitation to start with, but he could get the visitation. The restraining order would not prevent that. So why doesn't he have visitation? Whatever he's telling you, it's not a situation where he'd do anything to see his kid and the ex is preventing him from getting a visitation order. Thus, I suspect he's not as interested in visitation with his kid as he may seem to you.

Should he see a lawyer about this?
He'd see a family law attorney about getting visitation and about whether he might succeed in lowering support.

If we could have that money back,we could have our own darling baby.
Word of warning to you: if he's that eager to avoid paying child support for this kid, imagine what he'll be like when it comes to paying you child support should you have a child together and then break up. And don't be deluded into thinking that he's so wonderful that a break up is impossible. Most people think they'll be together forever when they marry, but we all know that for many of them, the relationship doesn't last forever.

Just Blue

Well now that's not fair. Of course I'm worried about us not seeing darling daughter. Cruella DeVille has done everything in the world to keep her from us, though, and now she's on restraining order number 2 since December. Poor HH sees the righting on the wall and figures that it's inevitable. He's been fighting for custody for darling dumpling for almost 4 years. Anytime he gets any time, Monster Mom rushes back to court with claims that darling is suffering and stressed and pulling her hair out and having insomnia and panic attacks. It's all hooey. Their final trial is set for June. If he's got a restraining order now,we can see where this is going to go. He'll either never see dumpling or he'll have to jump through Malificent's hoops of therapy and drug tests and evaluations and such only to see darling dumpling in a supervised capacity. So we're grieving the loss of this darling child's influence in our lives. And figure the extra money would make things easier. Really, why should we pay if we can't enjoy her and contribute to her upbringing? How is that legal?
Stop with the insulting language toward the childs mother and the child. The child is not a "dumpling". That is not a cute pet name it's obnoxious. So stop. Write like a grown up and not a petty, small child.

Um, I didn't know there was more than one court. The restraining order is until we have this hearing. And the restraining order is only for darling daughter. who else would it be fore? certainly we don't want to hang out with lady Tremaine! lolololololol

Just Blue

I'm so sorry you feel that way. Unfortunately this is all too real. We actually have a hearing next week on the latest restraining order. So we can ask about the child support then, I guess. Or does that need to be it's own separate thing? I get that you don't like the idea, but you've never said whether or not legally we can reduce our payments if we don't have any access to darling daughter.
You do not have a child support payment for this child. The court order is for your boyfriend. Please read the sticky I provided the link for in my first post on this thread. Thank You.

Oh. Well, I've been paying it for HH since he doesn't have the money. If I don't pay the money for darling daughter, I'm sure the Evil Queen will be furious. What will happen to HH if I just quit paying?

I think everyone is confused. Malificent doesn't have a restraining order for herself to keep HH away from her. She has a restraining order that specifically keeps HH away from darling daughter. This is the second one she's gotten since the end of November. We know she won't stop until she has a permanent one.

Just Blue

Um, I didn't know there was more than one court. The restraining order is until we have this hearing. And the restraining order is only for darling daughter. who else would it be fore? certainly we don't want to hang out with lady Tremaine! lolololololol
So, your boyfriend was issued a TRO? On the TRO there is a complaint...what does the complaint state? ?What reason is listed for the RO?

Again...stop with the silly insults. You are not making the mother of your boyfriend child look bad, but you are portraying yourself as a petty immature child.

zddoodah

What is the name of your state? El Paso
Wow...when did that happen? It's worth pointing out that there are at least five states in the U.S. with cities called El Paso.

So my fiancé is the most marvelous guy ever. He's got a darling 9 year old kiddo with an absolute horror of a human being for a mother. This woman has done everything under the son to keep my Handsome Hubby (HH) from seeing his darling child.
So...you have both a fiancé and a husband? Do they know about each other?

He pays about absolute FORTUNTE in child support every week. He pays $175 a week
You think $175 per week is an absolute fortune"? LOL

If he can't even see his own daughter, is there a way to get his child support reduced?
Child support is not an admission ticket to visitation. Child support is money paid by the non-custodial parent to the custodial parent to defray the cost of caring for the child. You can say all the nasty things you want about this guy's child's mother, but the fact is that a court determined, based on evidence, that your fiancé or husband should be prohibited from seeing his child. That doesn't happen by accident, and regardless of that order, he's still legally obligated to support his child.

Why should he pay when he gets no benefits from having a child?
Because he chose to bring a child into this world, and caring for that child until she becomes an adult is an obligation he undertook when he made that choice.

Should he see a lawyer about this? Or maybe an accountant? Or could he just like tell the judge himself?
Lawyer? Yes. Accountant? I can't imagine why. As for the last question, I'm not sure what he wants to tell the judge.

Your post is, quite frankly, disgusting.
Concur. I also think you ought to think long and hard about marrying into this situation because you can look forward to this nonsense for at least the next nine years.

Just Blue

Oh. Well, I've been paying it for HH since he doesn't have the money. If I don't pay the money for darling daughter, I'm sure the Evil Queen will be furious. What will happen to HH if I just quit paying?

I think everyone is confused. Malificent doesn't have a restraining order for herself to keep HH away from her. She has a restraining order that specifically keeps HH away from darling daughter. This is the second one she's gotten since the end of November. We know she won't stop until she has a permanent one.
You know what? Hire an attorney to answer your questions. You seem incapable of writing like an adult and you don't know whats going on.

Oiy. That kinda hurt my feelings. But really you guys have been swell and given me some great stuff to work with. Appreciate you all. XOXOXO

No, I think she liked it, cause she's round like a little dumpling. HH calls her fatty, which is a lot meaner. Dumpling is cute and sweet and also reminds her to think about what she eats so she doesn't stuff herself full of junky crap.. Besides there was that totes adorbs movie dumplin' with Jennifer aniston. It's cute.

Just Blue

No, I think she liked it, cause she's round like a little dumpling. HH calls her fatty, which is a lot meaner. Dumpling is cute and sweet and also reminds her to think about what she eats so she doesn't stuff herself full of junky crap.. Besides there was that totes adorbs movie dumplin' with Jennifer aniston. It's cute.
Please don't breed.

At least I have a good idea why Mom is trying for a RO for her child. Emotional Abuse.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">