• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Should a CEO who fired me sit in a Board subcommittee that will hear my appeal?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

JaKarachuonyo

What is the name of your state? Hi. I was fired VERY unprocedurally and unfairly. We have some history with the CEO. I appealed to the Board. The has referred the matter to a subcommittee but the CEO is a voting member of that subcommittee. I'm to appear before this subcommittee. Do you think I should raise this issue?

quincy

What is the name of your state? Hi. I was fired VERY unprocedurally and unfairly. We have some history with the CEO. I appealed to the Board. The has referred the matter to a subcommittee but the CEO is a voting member of that subcommittee. I'm to appear before this subcommittee. Do you think I should raise this issue?
What is the name of your state?

I would raise the issue, yes. The CEO should remove himself from hearing your appeal.

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
What is the name of your state?

I would raise the issue, yes. The CEO should remove himself from hearing your appeal.
Based on what we've heard, and assuming the OP is in the US, there is no legal requirement that the CEO recuse himself. Of course, there may be additional information that would change my response...

quincy

Based on what we've heard, and assuming the OP is in the US, there is no legal requirement that the CEO recuse himself. Of course, there may be additional information that would change my response...
Perhaps there is no requirement ... but I would certainly not expect to have a firing judged by the one who was responsible for the firing. It is an issue that needs to be addressed.

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
Perhaps there is no requirement ... but I would certainly not expect to have a firing judged by the one who was responsible for the firing. It is an issue that needs to be addressed.
The OP states that the CEO is a voting member of the board. Not the voting member. What if it's a 10 person board?

I don't necessarily think it's an issue that the OP will be able to address at all, except to make his concerns heard about the matter.

adjusterjack

You're very naive to think that it's going to make a difference one way or the other. The CEO runs the company. His influence will be at your appeal whether he's there or not. Unless you have a real contract, a CBA, or there is an issue of illegal discrimination, when you are fired you stay fired.

zddoodah

I was fired VERY unprocedurally and unfairly.
We have some history with the CEO.
Who are "we"?

I appealed to the Board. The has referred the matter to a subcommittee but the CEO is a voting member of that subcommittee. I'm to appear before this subcommittee. Do you think I should raise this issue?
"The board"? Are you talking about the board of directors of your former employer, which is a corporation? I'll assume you are. What is the nature of your former job that the board of directors will listen to an "appeal" from a firing made by the CEO? Why does your former employer's board of directors have subcommittees (most corporations don't)?

As for your question, you can raise any issues you like. However, unless there's more to this story, your post does not implicate any legal issue.

HRforme

I could see this happening in a non-profit, but agree with others that if the CEO wants you gone, there is going to be little you can do.

But I also who is "we"? What position are you in? and not all ""unprocedurally and unfairly" is against any laws or even policies?

HRforme

Beginning thread hijack!

Welcome, HRforme! Good to see you here!

End thread hijack
Doing good....moved back to TX and still with a small nonprofit.....that's why this sounds a bit familiar..... and might be different than the for profit or larger employers...

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">