• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Should I hire an attorney to apply for citizenship if I had a PFA against me in the past?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Eclipse

PA. When I was going through a turbulent divorce in 2019 I had a PFA taken against me. Unfortunately, I was also brought up to the court for violating it by initiating contact. I settled and the charges were never entered, the other party agreed to drop them in exchange for extending the PFA. The PFA expired in 2021. I have never had any other issues with the law, ever. I want to apply for citizenship and I am wondering if I should hire an attorney or do it on my own. Would that PFA be grounds for refusal?

quincy

PA. When I was going through a turbulent divorce in 2019 I had a PFA taken against me. Unfortunately, I was also brought up to the court for violating it by initiating contact. I settled and the charges were never entered, the other party agreed to drop them in exchange for extending the PFA. The PFA expired in 2021. I have never had any other issues with the law, ever. I want to apply for citizenship and I am wondering if I should hire an attorney or do it on my own. Would that PFA be grounds for refusal?
It would be smart for you to speak with an immigration lawyer. Whether the PFA and circumstances that led to its issuance would lead to a denial of your application requires a personal review, which we can’t do on this forum.

Here is a link with information from the US Citizenship and Immigration Services on conditional bars to citizenship based on good moral character:
https://www.uscis.gov/policy-manual/volume-12-part-f-chapter-5

And here is a link to current General Requirements for Naturalization (see 316.10 for Good Moral Character factors considered):
https://www.ecfr.gov/current/title-8/chapter-I/subchapter-C/part-316

Last edited:

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">