• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Spouse Payments frm Retired Military Pay

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

I divorced legally in CA in 1993. I had a lawyer at the time my judgement was signed. My question is this:

In my signed judgement, there is a clause that states "It is further ordered that the community interest in Respondent's United States Navy retirement, (respondents name here, ss#, current address at the time,) is reserved under the provisions of In RE The Marriage of Brown.

Upon filing the paperwork, with the Navy. I was informed that my judgement was not valid. I was married for 5 yrs. I understand, that due to the spouse protection act that I am SUPPOSED to NOT receive part of his military retirement pay. When I discussed this in detail with my lawyer at the time, he quoted the RE: Marriage of Brown, and explained that I could get a very small amount of the retirement, which he estimated at around $100 per month.

The Navy Dispersement Office, was very clear that I was entitled to NOTHING with this judgement wording. They said I dont qualify under the spouse protection act. Also, they said I might be entitled to some type of "spousal support" dispersed from the retirement funds, but that my lawyer needed to write a formula or amount in the judgement.

I feel the I was taken advantage of by my attorney and misrepresented. With my calculations, if this judgement is incorrect this error is worth $45,000.00++ in dispersements that I will NOT receive, also my legal fees and retainer fee that I paid already paid out $5000.00+.

1. What am I entitled to by law?

2. Is my judgement valid?

3. Did my lawyer make an mistake and lie to me about what I was entitled to?

4. What process should I take now?

5. What does reserved under the provisions of In RE The Marriage of Brown mean?

[Edited by [email protected] on 11-25-2000 at 08:48 AM]

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">