• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

they doubled the assessment on my house so they could double the taxes. my house isn't worth that much! its so transparent

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

nashua, nh
i live in a little shitty trailer, i dont even own my land. there trying to tell me its worth $107,900! what should i do?

Just Blue

nashua, nh
i live in a little shitty trailer, i dont even own my land. there trying to tell me its worth $107,900! what should i do?
Do as Jack suggested.

Please, when you post here, refrain from vulgar language as it violates the terms of this site.

Taxing Matters

Overtaxed Member
nashua, nh
i live in a little [poor condition] trailer, i dont even own my land. there trying to tell me its worth $107,900! what should i do?
The first step here is filing an appeal of the assessment. You'll find information about that on the city's web site here: https://www.nashuanh.gov/167/Assessment-Appeal

You'll need to do more than just say that it isn't accurate to have a good shot at succeeding. You'll want some evidence, like comparable sales data, appraisal from a knowledgeable dealer in the trailer, or other independent sources of value for your trailer. You may also want to submit information about the current state of your trailer, like photos showing the home and highlighting any problems with it that would reduce its value. It's possible to win on these appeals, but you need to present a clear, organized case for what the value really is. So be prepared to spend some time putting it together. Also realize that even if you win, the result might still be an increase in assessment over what you had, especially if the last assessment was done a number of years ago. But even if you can chop down the increase it can be well worth the appeal.

commentator

If you happen to live in an area where home and property values have recently skyrocketed, you may also need to check to see if you qualify for any kind of income based tax relief. As the rich outsiders keep coming in and building mega mansions, all the "locals" in my area seem to be qualifying for it, even those I know have fairly substantial incomes, so it appears that your income doesn't have to be terribly low for you to qualify. But when you go in, and do try to deal with the assessors, as has been suggested, some sort of value proofs and documentations are going to work much better than "I know what you people are up to!" These people are quite used to being yelled at and threatened and they will be much more inclined to try to help you if you present them with a situation and go for the sympathy vote.

Last edited:

aldaron

Doesn't own the land and it's a used trailer/mobile home valued at $107k. MH's in a state like Texas where the land is not owned are taxed by the DMV. $107k sounds way to high. Price 3 comparable MH's and take it to the appeals dept. of agency with jurisdiction.

FarmerJ

If your in a mobile home park / manufactured home community you could start by asking neighbors if their property taxes/ assessments on their houses went up. If your not in a park but just on someone else land then maybe go to the nearest MH community and go ask some of the residents if their assessed values went up ( when you tell them how much yours went up ( this way you can begin to gather numbers )

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">