• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Walls damaged due to flooding in apartment landlord wants to charge me

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

djr48312

You lived there - of course they can charge you rent.
As for the walls, you have a good case.
Hi, I was out of the apartment one day after the lease end. So that lease ended 10/20, i had all my stuff out 10/21. I didn't ask for a "month-to-month", I also did not choose to extend the lease. The "month-to-month" i was billed for charges for November and December.

On the $350 for the wall. The lawyer is $200/hr and they will only advise. It's not worth it. I will like i said call again and let them explain to me how the walls are my responsibility.

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
Hi, I was out of the apartment one day after the lease end. So that lease ended 10/20, i had all my stuff out 10/21. I didn't ask for a "month-to-month", I also did not choose to extend the lease. The "month-to-month" i was billed for charges for November and December.
What you're saying doesn't make sense. If your lease ended on 10/20, then it makes sense that you are being charged an extra month because you didn't vacate by 10/20. What doesn't make sense is December. What is their justification for charging you rent for December?

djr48312

What you're saying doesn't make sense. If your lease ended on 10/20, then it makes sense that you are being charged an extra month because you didn't vacate by 10/20. What doesn't make sense is December. What is their justification for charging you rent for December?
Thanks for taking the time to review. I know if i broke the lease in the middle, i would be charged 2 months of rent. What's not clear is how they charged me two months of "month-to-month" when i was out. From their end, what was last explained was when i didn't sign the lease they put me on a "month-to-month". It's not clear how i am being charged for two months instead of one. I will ask them about this, and ask them to explain how the walls are my responsibility.

not2cleverRed

Obvious Observer
They are billing me on the move out. The security deposit has been absorbed by the two months of rent they are billing me due to not alerting them that i would be moving out. I was not 100% aware i had to let them know. I figured if i didn't sign a new lease it would end. On their end, they ended the original lease but moved me to a "month by month" for after the lease period. They charged me two months in that final billing as well as the $350 for the drywall repairs.

On my end, i'm going to let it go to collections and I will let it sit for almost a year and i will pay a little less than 50% to take care of it i a settlement. I still want the $350 off of the bill.
Well, it wouldn't have killed you to say, "I'm planning on moving out at the end of my lease and not renewing How much notice do I need to give you?"

Mind you, that information is also in your lease agreement. Usually it states something like "not less than x number of days notice is needed if tenant will not be renewing the lease...."

Do you like wasting money that much?

Thanks for taking the time to review. I know if i broke the lease in the middle, i would be charged 2 months of rent. What's not clear is how they charged me two months of "month-to-month" when i was out. From their end, what was last explained was when i didn't sign the lease they put me on a "month-to-month". It's not clear how i am being charged for two months instead of one. I will ask them about this, and ask them to explain how the walls are my responsibility.
If your furniture and boxes prevented them from taking care of the problem, then yeah, you're kind of at fault.

djr48312

Well, it wouldn't have killed you to say, "I'm planning on moving out at the end of my lease and not renewing How much notice do I need to give you?"

Mind you, that information is also in your lease agreement. Usually it states something like "not less than x number of days notice is needed if tenant will not be renewing the lease...."

Do you like wasting money that much?

If your furniture and boxes prevented them from taking care of the problem, then yeah, you're kind of at fault.
Hi. When they dryed the area they moved those items and used air blowers in the apartment for 1-3 days. After they felt it was sufficiently dry, the removed their equipment and moved my furniture and boxes back to where they were.

adjusterjack

What did your lease say about giving two month's notice that you weren't going to renew? You alluded to that earlier. Now quote it word for word.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">