• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Step-parent adoption

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Status
Not open for further replies.

nita06

What is the name of your state? I currently live in the state of Louisiana. This is my situation....I have been divorced for about 6 years and am recently remarried. My previous husband had a paternaty test done last year for my 10 year old daughter and was found to not be the father, but because we were married at the time she was born I understand in order to change her name he has to terminate his rights. Well he has done that and my husband would like to adopt her. My question is.....can we do this adoption on our own or would we need an attorney? Also how long would it take to have her name changed and the adoption process complete.
Is it possible for me to have my daughters name changed now and do the adoption later?

Last edited:

Neal1421

nita06 said:
What is the name of your state? I currently live in the state of Louisiana. This is my situation....I have been divorced for about 6 years and am recently remarried. My previous husband had a paternaty test done last year for my 10 year old daughter and was found to not be the father, but because we were married at the time she was born I understand in order to change her name he has to terminate his rights. Well he has done that and my husband would like to adopt her. My question is.....can we do this adoption on our own or would we need an attorney? Also how long would it take to have her name changed and the adoption process complete.
Just curious, where is her bio dad? Does he know what you are doing?

tigger22472

Since there is no issue of having to terminate rights if you know how to properly write up a motion and file it and know all the laws of LA (which can be WAY different than the other 49 states) are followed it COULD be done without an attorney, but you would want at the VERY least a consult, if not full representation by one.

nita06

bononos said:
So you were married and screwed around on your hubby so many times with so many men that you have no clue who the father is?
Actually no I did not screw around with so many men so many times. We were married after I became pregnant. And yes I have no clue who the father is.

bononos

nita06 said:
Actually no I did not screw around with so many men so many times. We were married after I became pregnant. And yes I have no clue who the father is.
Ok, I change my comment. You were SINGLE and screwed so many men so many times that you don't know who the father is OR your just lying and you do know, but you don't want to end up involving him and not be able to do the adoption.

Just Blue

bononos said:
Ok, I change my comment. You were SINGLE and screwed so many men so many times that you don't know who the father is OR your just lying and you do know, but you don't want to end up involving him and not be able to do the adoption.

Bingo!! ;)

Just Blue

bononos said:
They always flee the scene when they get busted!

Well...Thats how we know we are right!! ...;) ...If that wasn't the reason then she would have defended herself...its human nature...

nita06

baystategirl said:
Well...Thats how we know we are right!! ...;) ...If that wasn't the reason then she would have defended herself...its human nature...
Excuse me! You must have me confused with someone that gives a **** about your negative comments. Unlike some people, words don't hurt me. You have the right to think and say what you want but at the end of the day does putting other people down make you feel better? If so then what does that say about you?

Shay-Pari'e

nita06 said:
Excuse me! You must have me confused with someone that gives a **** about your negative comments. Unlike some people, words don't hurt me. You have the right to think and say what you want but at the end of the day does putting other people down make you feel better? If so then what does that say about you?
Who was putting you down? Is it not true that you messed around so much that you don't know who your childs dad is? Is the list so long you couldn't narrow it down?

What will you tell your child about his fathers?

S

shell007

nita06 said:
TRUTH HURTS!!!

nita06

Shay-Pari'e said:
Who was putting you down? Is it not true that you messed around so much that you don't know who your childs dad is? Is the list so long you couldn't narrow it down?

What will you tell your child about his fathers?
Is it really any of your business what I will tell my child? My daughter is 10 and she has known my husband since she was 3 so he is, in her eyes, her father. And no it is not true that I messed around with alot of people.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">