• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

stepparent adoption, cross state lines

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Status
Not open for further replies.
L

Lovely

(Wisconsin)

Hello, newbie here. My children, their father and I reside in Wisconsin. We were never married and we share joint custody (I have primary placement). I am engaged to be married in October. The children's father has agreed to allow my fiance to adopt the children. My question is this: We would like to relocate to Texas as soon as possible. My fiance lives there. We are willing to legally marry before the actual ceremony to allow the adoption to take place. Now, how does an inter-state step parent adoption work? Will the children's father appear in court in WI and the adoption in TX? Or will both hearings take place in WI? Do we relocate and wait until we're married (october) and then come BACK to WI for the process?Has anyone had a similar situation? TIA.

Ohiogal

Queen Bee
Lovely said:
(Wisconsin)

Hello, newbie here. My children, their father and I reside in Wisconsin. We were never married and we share joint custody (I have primary placement). I am engaged to be married in October. The children's father has agreed to allow my fiance to adopt the children. My question is this: We would like to relocate to Texas as soon as possible. My fiance lives there. We are willing to legally marry before the actual ceremony to allow the adoption to take place. Now, how does an inter-state step parent adoption work? Will the children's father appear in court in WI and the adoption in TX? Or will both hearings take place in WI? Do we relocate and wait until we're married (october) and then come BACK to WI for the process?Has anyone had a similar situation? TIA.
YOu are kidding right? you are going to have to wait. 30 seconds married does not the courts make happy. Try waiting more than a year and go from there.
Why the heck are you wanting your fiance to adopt the children? Try reading other cases on here where the moms have played musical daddies and then wanted to return to the original daddy because they are divorcing daddy #2.
And before you gripe -- you got your legal answer.

He cannot adopt in 2006,
he cannot adopt, that's too quick.
he cannot adopt in Texas,
He cannot adopt midwestern.
He cannot adopt this morn
He cannot adopt your children born.
He cannot adopt right here right now,
He cannot adopt right after the vows.
You have to wait you cannot rush.
The courts you see they need to trust
that mommy and her hubby be
happily wed at least a year you see.

Apologies to Dr. Suess.

Silverplum

Loud applause for your poem! :)

Ohiogal said:
YOu are kidding right? you are going to have to wait. 30 seconds married does not the courts make happy. Try waiting more than a year and go from there.
Why the heck are you wanting your fiance to adopt the children? Try reading other cases on here where the moms have played musical daddies and then wanted to return to the original daddy because they are divorcing daddy #2.
And before you gripe -- you got your legal answer.

He cannot adopt in 2006,
he cannot adopt, that's too quick.
he cannot adopt in Texas,
He cannot adopt midwestern.
He cannot adopt this morn
He cannot adopt your children born.
He cannot adopt right here right now,
He cannot adopt right after the vows.
You have to wait you cannot rush.
The courts you see they need to trust
that mommy and her hubby be
happily wed at least a year you see.

Apologies to Dr. Suess.

L

Lovely

I do not like green eggs and ham.

Oh, wow. Tainted with bitterness. I wonder how much background the users need here in order to suppress their outwardly pompous retorts. My fiance has been nurturing and loving my children with all his heart for the last 8 months. Divorce is such an easy thing to throw around, apparently. Or that seems to be the trend here. I've never been married and only plan on doing it once. I will be buried next to my husband; my soul mate and partner for life. Isn't that why we marry in the first place? Sigh. I suppose I'm an idealist. So, with that, I say "thanks, but no thanks". I will stick with the professionals. The idea of this site is commendable, but the reality is predictible. Cheers.:cool:

Silverplum

Lovely said:
Oh, wow. Tainted with bitterness. I wonder how much background the users need here in order to suppress their outwardly pompous retorts. My fiance has been nurturing and loving my children with all his heart for the last 8 months. Divorce is such an easy thing to throw around, apparently. Or that seems to be the trend here. I've never been married and only plan on doing it once. I will be buried next to my husband; my soul mate and partner for life. Isn't that why we marry in the first place? Sigh. I suppose I'm an idealist. So, with that, I say "thanks, but no thanks". I will stick with the professionals. The idea of this site is commendable, but the reality is predictible. Cheers.:cool:
What's really sad is that you got correct, free advice from a family-law attorney, and you are too stupid to see it. :rolleyes:

Go hire a lawyer and don't fall off the chair when the lawyer tells you the exact same thing (minus fun poem), and charges you major $$$ for it.

Ohiogal

Queen Bee
Lovely said:
naw... no bitterness at all -- truthfully. It is fact. You don't like the answer because it doesn't fit into your fantasy. Try being MARRIED for at least a year before you contemplate this. 8 months unmarried doesn't MATTER to the COURTS! I wish you luck on the plan of everlasting love and enjoyment. May it work out for you.
And Silverplum is right -- an attorney you pay will tell you the same thing I did. Free poem thrown in for fun. But it is factual. It is based on law. Unlike your fantasy life of what will happen. Courts do not make these decisions based on what can happen in a dream world -- an idealistic world. They make them based on the law applied to what has happened.

Ohiogal

Queen Bee
Silverplum said:
Loud applause for your poem! :)
I'm glad you like that. I think I am going to start recycling these little ditties (this and the sex ed lesson on a much older thread) as well as any others I write when I get bored.

Silverplum

Ohiogal said:
I'm glad you like that. I think I am going to start recycling these little ditties (this and the sex ed lesson on a much older thread) as well as any others I write when I get bored.
You should! :)

L

Lovely

Two Wisconsin attorneys and one TX attorney both contradict what I've been told here.

Let me guess. You are men and you are Republican. Geniuses.

I'm going with real attorneys. (Hey, I'm a rocket scientist, did I mention that?) La la la. I love these things; a psychoanalyst's dream.

Bye bye! I'll save a seat for you by the fire. :D (p.s. no hard feelings. I know you mean well, despite yourselves)

Silverplum

Lovely said:
Two Wisconsin attorneys and one TX attorney both contradict what I've been told here.
Uhhhhh, if you have talked with no less than three attorneys in two states, why on earth would you want to come to FA? (Me smellz a liar-liar!)

And while I'm at it, you're still logged in. Guess you aren't done with FA yet, are ya? :p

Lovely said:
LOL you're hilarious. Thanks for the comic interlude.

Marriage is for life, but lets make babies with anyone swinging a p enis within 300 yards. Nice ideals. :D

Silverplum said:
Uhhhhh, if you have talked with no less than three attorneys in two states, why on earth would you want to come to FA? (Me smellz a liar-liar!)

And while I'm at it, you're still logged in. Guess you aren't done with FA yet, are ya? :p
Where the heck is IAAL? There HAS to be a trailer somewhere in this story... :p

Ohiogal

Queen Bee
Lovely said:

Let me guess. You are men and you are Republican. Geniuses.

I'm going with real attorneys. (Hey, I'm a rocket scientist, did I mention that?) La la la. I love these things; a psychoanalyst's dream.

Bye bye! I'll save a seat for you by the fire. :D (p.s. no hard feelings. I know you mean well, despite yourselves)
Wrong on most counts. I most certainly am not a man and I am a registered Democrat. My IQ however does qualify me as a genius. Glad you found someone to tell you what you wanted to hear.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">