• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

That's gotta be tough to swallow

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Ohiogal

Queen Bee
Well see, she walked away from a spouse who deserves support because she kicked him to the curb. :rolleyes: And yes those words have been used on this forum but not by me. This happens quite a bit. But the ex deserves to be supported because he needs to maintain his living situation at the time of marriage. :rolleyes:

Ohiogal

Queen Bee
http://abcnews.go.com/US/sexual-assault-victim-ordered-pay-alimony-attacker-fights/story?id=16075409
This prompted a change in the law so that that won't happen but that is where the loophole came from.

Ohiogal

Queen Bee
She must have had the world's most incompetent lawyer.
She divorced him BEFORE he was convicted of the rape. So how was she to prove that he raped her daughter for that length of time? Put her daughter on the stand is the obvious choice BUT the law does not provide for not paying spousal support for abuse against a child. And he did not abuse her.

Proserpina

She divorced him BEFORE he was convicted of the rape. So how was she to prove that he raped her daughter for that length of time? Put her daughter on the stand is the obvious choice BUT the law does not provide for not paying spousal support for abuse against a child. And he did not abuse her.

That is my understanding, yes.

I think it's also fairly likely that we don't have all of the details, either.

Bali Hai

And we also had the mother who beat her son to death, went to prison and the father was ordered to pay her alimony.

So, are we saying that men should pay alimony and women should not? I think that is more palatable to some and exactly what the hypocrites are saying.

I'm hearing that the law is gender neutral except or unless.....

Bali Hai

Well see, she walked away from a spouse who deserves support because she kicked him to the curb. :rolleyes: And yes those words have been used on this forum but not by me. This happens quite a bit. But the ex deserves to be supported because he needs to maintain his living situation at the time of marriage. :rolleyes:
Yeap, just like an ex-wife would. That's the law!

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">