• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Is this MV passenger detention correct?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

davew128

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? California

The other night my girlfriend was a passenger in her friend's vehicle which was stopped for a moving violation near our home. I'm told it was a missing license plate light and blowing a stop sign. The friend had a valid license and was driving, my GF has a suspended license and was not driving (and could not because the truck was a manual transmission which she couldn't drive if she tried).

Apparently, unbenownst to me, her friend is on summary probation for a prior DUI. Long story short, SHE was detained and cuffed in the cruiser for an extended period of time, before they were both released and her friend cited for the violations.

My question is, under what circumstances can a passenger in a vehicle be detained like that and be searched if there's nothing in the vehicle that causes an arrest on anything else? Something isn't adding up to me.

Ladyback1

The other night my girlfriend was a passenger in her friend's vehicle which was stopped for a moving violation near our home. I'm told it was a missing license plate light and blowing a stop sign. The friend had a valid license and was driving, my GF has a suspended license and was not driving (and could not because the truck was a manual transmission which she couldn't drive if she tried).

Apparently, unbenownst to me, her friend is on summary probation for a prior DUI. Long story short, SHE was detained and cuffed in the cruiser for an extended period of time, before they were both released and her friend cited for the violations.

My question is, under what circumstances can a passenger in a vehicle be detained like that and be searched if there's nothing in the vehicle that causes an arrest on anything else? Something isn't adding up to me.
hmmmm....seems you have all the answers usually, so, even if I had advice or information, I would be disinclined to provide it to you! :)

sandyclaus

Apparently, unbeknownst to you, your GF must have done or said something stupid which ended up getting her detailed and searched. Otherwise, the police wouldn't have had a reason or cause to detain and search her.

If something's not adding up, it's because your GF isn't telling you the whole story. I suggest that you ask HER what really happened.

davew128

Apparently, unbeknownst to you, your GF must have done or said something stupid which ended up getting her detailed and searched. Otherwise, the police wouldn't have had a reason or cause to detain and search her.
Well she doesn't do and say things like most of us do. Being bi-polar has that effect. No doubt she probably DID say something incredibly stupid, but asking her would never provide that answer because from her state of mind, she did nothing wrong and the police were "mean and bad".

my_wan

In general a passenger in a vehicle that is stopped is by definition detained. You can read about case law here:

http://www.policeone.com/legal/articles/1282465-Is-a-passenger-seized-during-a-traffic-stop-The-Supreme-Court-answers/

Even though the passenger is detained answers to questions are for the most part voluntary.

sandyclaus

Well she doesn't do and say things like most of us do. Being bi-polar has that effect. No doubt she probably DID say something incredibly stupid, but asking her would never provide that answer because from her state of mind, she did nothing wrong and the police were "mean and bad".
Well, then. It seems you answered your own question here.

Whatever she said or did, you're never going to hear the truth about it because she doesn't want or is unable to accept responsibility for her actions. Yes, being bi-polar probably has a lot to do with that, but if she was properly medicated, then she might not have put/found herself in that unenviable position.

Ultimately, they released her and didn't arrest and book her. At least that's a good thing that came out of it.

my_wan

Well, then. It seems you answered your own question here.

Whatever she said or did, you're never going to hear the truth about it because she doesn't want or is unable to accept responsibility for her actions. Yes, being bi-polar probably has a lot to do with that, but if she was properly medicated, then she might not have put/found herself in that unenviable position.

Ultimately, they released her and didn't arrest and book her. At least that's a good thing that came out of it.
What exactly are you justifying here? I'm not even sure what question you think davew128 answered for themselves.

As a matter of fairly standard police tactics, they use the legally justified claim that a passenger is detained to impose whatever search they choose on them. Then worry about justification after the fact. So what you seem to be doing here is engaging in that after the fact justification. As if only law enforcement is entitled to the presumption of innocents. In fact you went so far as to FACTUALLY state the passengers unwillingness accept responsibility for her actions. Something you have no basis for, unless your psychic.

I suppose road side body cavity searches of women are justified, or repeated x-rays, forced watched defecation, and probes at the hospital is justified because the cop felt someone pulled over for running a stop sign was clinching their butt constituted probable cause. The absurdity is palpable.

CdwJava

What does "an extended period of time" mean? Some people think that's 5 minutes, others might think 2 hours ... in this case, what does she THINK it was? (And I have found that many passengers/drivers/suspects/etc. greatly overestimate the time they were detained, but this is not always the case.)

There can be a lot of details missing that might explain what happened and why. It might be the circumstances of the stop, it might be statements, gestures, or the demeanor of the parties in the vehicle, or it could be something else ... or, nothing at all to justify the detention.

The courts have granted a lot of leeway for officers to detain even passengers for safety reasons. In general, the most minimally intrusive means possible is acceptable. But, as with most things, there are exceptions to that. WHY they chose to detain your GF in handcuffs in the patrol car is a question that all we can do is wildly speculate from the "she's not telling you the whole story and was acting like a twit," to, "The cops were jack-booted thugs with no respect for the Constitution." The details make all the difference in the world.

On the face of it, there is no general bar to the detention of a passenger for the duration of the traffic stop. In fact, one CA Supreme Court case went so far as to state that it ALWAYS reasonable to order passengers out of a car for an officer's safety at the scene of a stop (Lomax (2010) 49 Cal.4th 530, 564). The case law is somewhat divided on whether one can detain a passenger in handcuffs and in the back of a patrol car in a manner equivalent to a custodial arrest. As such, this determination would have to be based upon a totality of the circumstances and would be based in large part on the perception of the officers and their articulated reasoning for such measures. But, the courts grant law enforcement a lot of leeway in this area.

Ultimately if she wants to make an issue out of it she should start with a complaint to the law enforcement agency. If she feels REALLY strongly, she can consult some attorneys, though without any tangible damages, any lawsuit might be prohibitively expensive.

CdwJava

As a matter of fairly standard police tactics, they use the legally justified claim that a passenger is detained to impose whatever search they choose on them. Then worry about justification after the fact.
I musta been absent that day in the academy ... and all the days since.

This is simply not true. While it IS true that we can generally detain a passenger for safety reasons, a search of the passenger and the passenger's belongings will require probable cause beyond the facts of the detention.

my_wan

I musta been absent that day in the academy ... and all the days since.

This is simply not true. While it IS true that we can generally detain a passenger for safety reasons, a search of the passenger and the passenger's belongings will require probable cause beyond the facts of the detention.
I understand what is taught and why. There is a world of difference between the academy and the streets, as you should well know. I also understand that when put into practice what is taught in the "academy" merely forms the narrative of what needs to be justified after the fact. Hence objecting on the basis of what's taught in "the academy" has a facetious character.

I know the difference between the law, the tactics, and how those tactics are often pushed to the bleeding edge and beyond for whatever reason. This applies to more than just passengers, who are legally detained. Does NY stop and frisk practices really speak well of law enforcement? That doesn't just include those officers on the street. Even in a basic citizen contact just watch how fast the intensity and show of authority goes ballistic when someone says "No thanks". Including accusations that "No thanks" in itself constitutes reasonable suspicion while any clarification of whether a detention is in effect is avoided. Meanwhile intimidating request aka orders are given as if a detention is in effect, such that the claim it was a request can be chosen and maintained after the fact, in case that best fit the narrative later on.

The whole objective is to be able to justify a claim of consent until consent is no longer needed. The regularity with which the choice of when non-consent actually occurred after the fact leads to lots of mistakes when the demonstrable facts don't support the after the fact narrative. More often than not there is no consequences because most people are willing to just pay whatever to go home and get on with their life. Even when they fight back, there's rarely any evidence of their innocents, which shifts the burden of proof to the defendant on the word of the officer.

CdwJava

I understand what is taught and why. There is a world of difference between the academy and the streets, as you should well know.
But, the LAW doesn't change. As one who has been on both sides of the equation (yes, I was once a boot out of the academy, and have served as a field training officer and a trainer at the academy) I can tell you that the law is the same all around. It doesn't change when you get out of the academy.

I know the difference between the law, the tactics, and how those tactics are often pushed to the bleeding edge and beyond for whatever reason.
Bully for you. Then you also know that they are more often than not, NOT stretched to the limit.

How came you by this alleged "knowledge?" Reading stories on the internet? Blogs? Newsmedia? Objective scholarly research? How?

One can always find examples of actions taken to the extreme - including examples of actions NOT taken out of concern that the action MIGHT be improper, unlawful, or outside of procedure.

This applies to more than just passengers, who are legally detained. Does NY stop and frisk practices really speak well of law enforcement?
I don't know enough about the practice in NYC to speak on it. It's not a topic that comes up too often here.

Even in a basic citizen contact just watch how fast the intensity and show of authority goes ballistic when someone says "No thanks". Including accusations that "No thanks" in itself constitutes reasonable suspicion while any clarification of whether a detention is in effect is avoided.
I assume that you are referring to a detained person's "no thanks" when asked by an officer for consent to a search. Well, if an officer believes that a refusal to consent equals probable cause, then that officer forgot the basic academy and is a dunderhead in need of re-training big time. I've seen many denials of consent and no incidents of an officer going "ballistic" as a result. Maybe we're a little more level-headed out here on the west coast than where you're from. Dunno.

Meanwhile intimidating request aka orders are given as if a detention is in effect, such that the claim it was a request can be chosen and maintained after the fact, in case that best fit the narrative later on.
Maybe it's the late hour, but I am at a loss to figure out what you were trying to say with this.

The whole objective is to be able to justify a claim of consent until consent is no longer needed.
You either have consent or you don't. If the officer searches anyway and LIES about having consent, then it's not a lawful search whether he finds something or not.

my_wan

But, the LAW doesn't change.
The issue is not with the letter of the law, it's in the intimidation tactics.

Bully for you. Then you also know that they are more often than not, NOT stretched to the limit.
True, and even in the worst jurisdiction I have met a fair number of good officers. It's also really easy to trigger bad responses with some fairly innocent replies. Your own home town appears to be pretty good, but the court system is still an issue.

How came you by this alleged "knowledge?" Reading stories on the internet? Blogs? Newsmedia? Objective scholarly research? How?
First hand experience. Depending on how I dress I have gotten cops to confide in me with things that if would ruin them if made public. I've been the guy in a suit and tie, the guy at the boat house holding the cabin cruiser, and the bum under the bridge. I have been ordered to "Go home", told I would be arrested for merely being seen in the county, and been threatened with obstruction for helping the wrong people or making a factual statement. It's funny when the bum me is recognized wearing a suit and tie and the questions that gets. The BS is not isolated and is increasingly becoming more problematic in more and more jurisdictions. I might even be the next person that's not cooperating with your citizens contact. I doubt it though, your cozy little town looks pretty decent. The same can't be said for the courts there.

One can always find examples of actions taken to the extreme - including examples of actions NOT taken out of concern that the action MIGHT be improper, unlawful, or outside of procedure.
This used to be a valid claim in most places, statistically speaking. In more and more jurisdictions today it's nothing more than a joke, and it's getting worse. Much worse.

I assume that you are referring to a detained person's "no thanks" when asked by an officer for consent to a search. Well, if an officer believes that a refusal to consent equals probable cause, then that officer forgot the basic academy and is a dunderhead in need of re-training big time. I've seen many denials of consent and no incidents of an officer going "ballistic" as a result. Maybe we're a little more level-headed out here on the west coast than where you're from. Dunno.
Here's the crux of the matter. Actually I was thinking more about even talking to an officer at all, when a citizens contact is attempted. But a search refusal works as well. The most probable response to "no thanks" is not to immediately detain, but to imply through intimidation that it's going to be the worst mistake ever made not to comply. If the subject is intimidated enough not to just leave, or try to argue, then the odds are something will get turned into reasonable suspicion. Even cops who attempt to keep their narrative clean will often resort to confiscating evidence, and losing it, witness intimidation, and other clearly illegal acts to cover up mistakes that weren't that bad to begin with. I've lost some of my own equipment, never to be seen again.

Maybe it's the late hour, but I am at a loss to figure out what you were trying to say with this.
This was referring to a certain type of tactic that starts out as a citizen contact that doesn't want to cooperate. Only the average person cannot merely assume they are free to go because the officer might have some reasonable suspicion unknown to you based on a call or some other events you know nothing about. If you try to leave under such circumstances you risk a charge for resisting arrest, obstructing, failure to comply with lawful orders, which you thought were request, etc. So this tactic involves avoiding any clarification of whether a detention is actually in effect, and only making it appear like it might be. Thus drawing out an argument from which reasonable suspicion is likely to result. In fact explicitly claiming such a refusal is reasonable suspicion, without ever actually making detention official. Cops are officially allowed to lie to accomplish this. The strength of the tactic is that the legal grounds for reasonable suspicion can be chosen after the fact, if explicit characterization can be avoided at the time. Occasionally cops get emotional and mess up and detain and arrest people before they get reasonable suspicion. This often triggers all kinds of nefarious acts to make the issue go away.

You either have consent or you don't. If the officer searches anyway and LIES about having consent, then it's not a lawful search whether he finds something or not.
True, but in practice this is precisely how the burden of proof gets shifted. It completely turns the tables on the burden of proof once in court. As if being forced into court, even when found factually innocent, is not punishment enough for most people. Even worse is how badly being found not guilty can still ruin careers, as if the odds of an innocent persons odds of not being convicted is anything but miniscule when cops testify against them.

That the letter of the law is fair on the surface does not imply the results are the same.

davew128

What does "an extended period of time" mean? Some people think that's 5 minutes, others might think 2 hours ... in this case, what does she THINK it was? (And I have found that many passengers/drivers/suspects/etc. greatly overestimate the time they were detained, but this is not always the case.)
She said 2 hours. Was it? Only the police and she know. In any event it seems odd to me that for a minor traffic violation that both people are detained like that and they and the vehicle are searched and nothing comes of it in a criminal manner.

tranquility

She said 2 hours. Was it? Only the police and she know. In any event it seems odd to me that for a minor traffic violation that both people are detained like that and they and the vehicle are searched and nothing comes of it in a criminal manner.
A person who was put in handcuffs in the back of a police car for 2 hours was arrested. While the case law, as Carl says, is a little varied, it is not THAT varied. Some sort of error detector light should be flashing. Either against the police or against your girlfriend.

Handcuffs alone can be an arrest absent good reason. In a locked police car for any length of time can be an arrest absent very good reason. Both? Goodness. Was there any other show of force? Guns drawn? Bunch of cops? Lots of commands? The key in all 4th amendment is reasonableness as based on the totality of the circumstances. Nothing in the facts you have said indicate the reasonableness of handcuffs in the back of a vehicle for an arrest on a suspended license. There had to be more.

Last edited:

sandyclaus

A person who was put in handcuffs in the back of a police car for 2 hours was arrested. While the case law, as Carl says, is a little varied, it is not THAT varied. Some sort of error detector light should be flashing. Either against the police or against your girlfriend.

Handcuffs alone can be an arrest absent good reason. In a locked police car for any length of time can be an arrest absent very good reason. Both? Goodness. Was there any other show of force? Guns drawn? Bunch of cops? Lots of commands? The key in all 4th amendment is reasonableness as based on the totality of the circumstances. Nothing in the facts you have said indicate the reasonableness of handcuffs in the back of a vehicle for an arrest on a suspended license. There had to be more.
... Which is pretty much what I said:

If something's not adding up, it's because your GF isn't telling you the whole story. I suggest that you ask HER what really happened.
There's so many missing variables here to which we may never have the answer, simply because the girlfriend is being significantly less than forthcoming. No one but she and the officer know the detains and circumstances under which she was detained. Anything we say would only be speculation based on the unknown.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">