• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Is it Worth the Trouble?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

P

PJSinWI

I live in Wisconsin and was recently on the receiving end of a rear-end auto accident. There was susbstantial damage to my car. The other party admitted it was his fault. I am sore and stiff but nothing seems seriously wrong, though I haven't seen a doctor yet. I was in another rear-end accident about 15 years ago and know from experience that neck and back pain can last for quite a few years. I did not pursue legal action in that accident. I am seriously considering hiring a lawyer for this accident. I am just curious as to how this is going to all play out. My questions are:

1. Would it be better to see a doctor that my lawyer suggests or someone from the clinic that I get my health care from? (My family doctor is on medical leave so I would need to see someone new.)

2. If nothing is physically serious with me, does it pay to pursue it? Are allowances made for "future" pain and discomfort?

3. I almost feel guilty for pursuing legal action, but I am "pissed" that this has inconvenieced me and that I am sure I am going to have problems with discomfort in my neck as this accident was more severe than the one 15 years ago.

4. What's the general thinking of lawyers among cases like this (not terribly serious)?

I appreciate your time and expertise.

Thank you.

Peter

I AM ALWAYS LIABLE

PJSinWI said:
I live in Wisconsin and was recently on the receiving end of a rear-end auto accident. There was susbstantial damage to my car. The other party admitted it was his fault. I am sore and stiff but nothing seems seriously wrong, though I haven't seen a doctor yet. I was in another rear-end accident about 15 years ago and know from experience that neck and back pain can last for quite a few years. I did not pursue legal action in that accident. I am seriously considering hiring a lawyer for this accident. I am just curious as to how this is going to all play out. My questions are:

1. Would it be better to see a doctor that my lawyer suggests or someone from the clinic that I get my health care from? (My family doctor is on medical leave so I would need to see someone new.)

MY ANSWER : It's okay to go to a medical provider that your lawyer suggests. It's usually better to do so, because that doctor will know how to write a report that meets the needs of the lawyer and is "courtroom ready" (just in case).

2. If nothing is physically serious with me, does it pay to pursue it? Are allowances made for "future" pain and discomfort?

MY ANSWER : There may be nothing seriously wrong right now; however, that pain is going to come, and when it does, POW ! ! So, pursue the matter. Future meds may be needed, depending on what your doctor diagnoses.

3. I almost feel guilty for pursuing legal action, but I am "pissed" that this has inconvenieced me and that I am sure I am going to have problems with discomfort in my neck as this accident was more severe than the one 15 years ago.

MY RESPONSE: This is not a question.

4. What's the general thinking of lawyers among cases like this (not terribly serious)?

MY RESPONSE: Nine-Eight percent of auto accident case are not "serious" - - but, how do you think we keep the lights burning, and the telephone bill paid ? With cases like yours, that's how.

I appreciate your time and expertise.

Thank you.

Peter

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">