• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

DFACS is Trying To Putting my kid up for adoption

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Status
Not open for further replies.

lisalopes2nd

What is the name of your state? Georgia

My daughter was taken away from me due to drugs and incarceration since the day she was born Aug 15th 2007. Since my release I have been going to visitation and testing negative for every drug test. My situation is that I want my daughter with my parents. I've been requesting this for the past 4 months to no avail. My parents live in Brooklyn NY. My DFACS worker claims that she sent out the ICP packet so this may go through. It's been 4 months. I know that these things take a while, but I feel as though my DFACS worker is delaying this procedure. Why? Because the foster parents have had my daughter since she was born and the want to wait until my parental rights are terminated so they can adopt her. My DFACS won't return my parents calls, no one is helping and time is running. I can not afford an attorney. What should I do? Any advice will be helpful

lisalopes2nd

The Child's Father is actually a Guardian Le (I don't know the exact name) for Cobb County. I have contacted him about this issue and he is trying to hide it. He is a well respected attorney and is in the background coaching my parents. He's not denying her at all, he just isn't stepping up to the plate. I have asked him to establish paternity(he can pay for it) and being that he doesn't want to take care of her to just give my parents guardship. His response is that it would take too long and by that time my rights will be taken away. I choose not to believe that.

The Father was my court appointed attorney and the act itself ws unethical..

lisalopes2nd

I gave him the option to step up. I told him if he did not get our kid out of foster care that I would report him to the Bar Assocation and to the Cobb County Courts. But in the mean time I need to get my daughter to my parents.

summerdawn

What is the name of your state? Georgia

My daughter was taken away from me due to drugs and incarceration since the day she was born Aug 15th 2007. Since my release I have been going to visitation and testing negative for every drug test. My situation is that I want my daughter with my parents. I've been requesting this for the past 4 months to no avail. My parents live in Brooklyn NY. My DFACS worker claims that she sent out the ICP packet so this may go through. It's been 4 months. I know that these things take a while, but I feel as though my DFACS worker is delaying this procedure. Why? Because the foster parents have had my daughter since she was born and the want to wait until my parental rights are terminated so they can adopt her. My DFACS won't return my parents calls, no one is helping and time is running. I can not afford an attorney. What should I do? Any advice will be helpful

Don't you have some sort of reunification case plan? How are you doing on it? Is there any chance that you might just get the child back yourself and that's why the worker is dragging her feet on moving the child so far away from you?

I worked with drug addicted moms who were getting their kids back for two years. (It was called being a "Mentor Mom.") It's a long road, and sometimes it seems like they will never get them back, but from what I have seen when these women followed the plan provided them IN A TIMELY MANNER they DID get their kids back. Your child is so little, I think most states have a very strict time frame for geting your kids back if they are under 2.

Last edited:

fairisfair

you need an attorney YESTERDAY. And NOT one like the last one. :rolleyes:

Go to legal aid IMMEDIATELY and insist that you get immediate help, call every attorney in your phone book and ask for someone who might represent you pro bono. GET OFF YOUR A$$ and do something.

lisalopes2nd

They do have a program, but I felt that my evaulation was unfair and that I would have not have been able to complete it. That is why I requested my parents to have custody of her. The worker is holding off because the Foster parents have vocally said they want to adopt my daughter.

I know many reading this would see this as an excuse, but three months after I was employed DFACS finally made a recommendation for an evaulation. Unfortunately due to my work schedule I couldn't do it. The program insisted that I do 9-5 Monday-Friday. I asked for them to recommend a program where I could have mixed schedule and work with my boss. NO Avail.

When you just come out of jail, no family to help, bills to pay, that program was not working for me. I had to work. And my job closed at 5pm and it pays well.

fairisfair

They do have a program, but I felt that my evaulation was unfair and that I would have not have been able to complete it. That is why I requested my parents to have custody of her. The worker is holding off because the Foster parents have vocally said they want to adopt my daughter.

I know many reading this would see this as an excuse, but three months after I was employed DFACS finally made a recommendation for an evaulation. Unfortunately due to my work schedule I couldn't do it. The program insisted that I do 9-5 Monday-Friday. I asked for them to recommend a program where I could have mixed schedule and work with my boss. NO Avail.

When you just come out of jail, no family to help, bills to pay, that program was not working for me. I had to work. And my job closed at 5pm and it pays well.
you can also escalate your complaint regarding the treatment you are receiving from DFCS

You may contact DHR Constituent Services at (404) 651-6316 or via e-mail at [email protected]

summerdawn

The county I worked with has a law that the requirements DFACS sets for you are not legally allowed to interfere with your responsibity of creating a safe and stable home for your child. I.E. They HAVE to either offer you a place to live (sober living house, etc.-that they pay for) or they must offer you services that don't coincide with your work schedule, so that you can make a living and support your child. This is because ALL plans require that you have a safe place for your child to live-if their requirements are preventing you from attaining that safe place it kind of defeats the purpose. You need to see if YOUR county has a similar law.

Aso, if you feel you are being mistreated by your worker you should call your worker's supervisor-DON'T be afraid to get on the phone and talk-just make sure you speak in a calm, cmunicative manner tather than sounding offensive. I know women who had their local office's number memorized because they called so often.

To be honest, and I know it sounds like it sucks, but you may be better off just entering a rehab or sober living and working on your requirements and THEN getting a job when you have been sober for a while. They may have to pay for it if rehab is part of your case plan. (My state does.) Rehabs also usually offer all of the corresponding things people have to do that are pretty standard to ANY case of this nature such as parenting class, counseling, etc.-with the added benefit that some rehabs will help you find a place to live when you are done. SOme even let you go to school and learn a trade after you have been sober for a while, and some even provide daycare while you do things to better yourself. You might even find an [impatient](that would be IN patient I don't know I was thinking here) program that would let your children come live with you when you have completed certain requirements. This late in the game, a lawyer would be great, if you can find one to represent you, but you need to do all you can to get your case plan done in the meantime because i'm willing to bet that your time is running out QUICKLY. While you look for a lawyer, TRY to get the stuff done that they ask of you.

The statistics are dire-where I was working, only 33% of people stuck it out and got their children back. Don't be in the other 77%.

Last edited:

lisalopes2nd

Thank you so much for the advice. I always thought it was unfair for DFACS to implement all those things on me when I was working. They never onced offered me a residental treatment service. But it's great knowing this. I know it does suck. But I so wanted my Parents to have her, because my Job is moving to New York in June. And be a felon the opportunity is wonderful and hard to get. I wanted to have my daughter with my parents and petion the court when I get there. This late in the game I really cannot see myself going to a residental treatment, breaking my lease to live in one of those homes. I wished when I was released from jail that was offered to me.

But does anyone know about what rights my parents have reguarding my daughter?? They have my okay. I have even travel and purchased furnature, painted the room, the works. They are discouraged and so am I.

Thank you so much with all of this. I apprecite it

fairisfair

Thank you so much for the advice. I always thought it was unfair for DFACS to implement all those things on me when I was working. They never onced offered me a residental treatment service. But it's great knowing this. I know it does suck. But I so wanted my Parents to have her, because my Job is moving to New York in June. And be a felon the opportunity is wonderful and hard to get. I wanted to have my daughter with my parents and petion the court when I get there. This late in the game I really cannot see myself going to a residental treatment, breaking my lease to live in one of those homes. I wished when I was released from jail that was offered to me.

But does anyone know about what rights my parents have reguarding my daughter?? They have my okay. I have even travel and purchased furnature, painted the room, the works. They are discouraged and so am I.

Thank you so much with all of this. I apprecite it
you currently do not have any rights to bestow upon your parents. The state is the guardian of your child, not you. Many states are hesitant to remove a child from their home state and in fact may have laws preventing it.

Start by calling the complaint line I gave you. If you are smart enough and have enough time to be here on the internet then you sure could be doing something about resolving this and getting your child back.

The state is NOT going to let you just take the baby and hand her over to your parents. STOP even thinking that.

and stop whining about things not being unfair. The only one being treated unfairly is your child. You put her in this position, no one else. so get over yourself and start acting in HER best interest.

lisalopes2nd

This is the response to the guy calling me a complainer. First of all I appreciate your help, but in no way will I allow you to belittle me. I came here asking for advice. And I've received it.

As far as me getting off my ass I have been doing so and making the phone calls needed. I don't need a harsh swipe on my a$$ I need support.

I've emailed and called this complaint line.

I'm asking my about my parents because in some states grandparents have rights. Most agencies would recommend that my child be placed with a family member and that isn't the case here.

My parents have traveled back and forth and no one is assisiting them. I'm am doing what I'm am able to do and beyond.

This foreum is about seeking advice, not to be humilated or belittled(no avail) by someone like you. Please get a reality check

Have a great day:D

summerdawn

you can also escalate your complaint regarding the treatment you are receiving from DFCS

You may contact DHR Constituent Services at (404) 651-6316 or via e-mail at [email protected]
Can people really fight this fair? I have always heard it is a losing battle. :\

I don't mean to sound harsh, but it seems like most parents who are involved with child services feel wronged. Wouldn't it be extremely hard to prove that this person was actually wronged rather than her just looking like every other I was treated unfairly parent who comes along after getting their kids taken? :eek:

It sounds like OP has LONG road ahead of her.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">