• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Ex-husband seeking full custody

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

bpmuffin

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? TN

My ex-husband has just filed contempt of court charges against me and is trying to to get full custody.

We have a 14-year old boy, 15-year-old girl, and 17-year-old boy. They do not want to spend time with him, because of all that he has done to hurt us. They have been refusing visitation for almost a year.

I recently married a great man, but who has made mistakes in the past. He is currently in prison serving two years for sexual battery against a girl on his soccer team, but his crime was 5 years ago, and I think she was just as much to blame as he was. My ex-husband did everything he could to get him prosecuted for this, and now my ex is trying to use it against me to get full custody.

My question is, how much is my husbands past going to be a factor with the courts? The girl was 16-years-old (even though the court wrongly said she was 15-years-old), and like I said it was 5 years ago. He also has another conviction last year for theft of trade secrets, and he is on probation for that, but he didn't really steal anything. It was just a larger company trying to attack his smaller company. I'm sure my ex-husband will try to use that against me as well.

TheGeekess

Keeper of the Kraken

My ex-husband has just filed contempt of court charges against me and is trying to to get full custody.

We have a 14-year old boy, 15-year-old girl, and 17-year-old boy. They do not want to spend time with him, because of all that he has done to hurt us. They have been refusing visitation for almost a year.

I recently married a great man, but who has made mistakes in the past. He is currently in prison serving two years for sexual battery against a girl on his soccer team, but his crime was 5 years ago, and I think she was just as much to blame as he was. My ex-husband did everything he could to get him prosecuted for this, and now my ex is trying to use it against me to get full custody.

My question is, how much is my husbands past going to be a factor with the courts? The girl was 16-years-old (even though the court wrongly said she was 15-years-old), and like I said it was 5 years ago. He also has another conviction last year for theft of trade secrets, and he is on probation for that, but he didn't really steal anything. It was just a larger company trying to attack his smaller company. I'm sure my ex-husband will try to use that against me as well.
From where I sit, Dad has a slam-dunk. :cool:

I'mTheFather

Sexual battery against a 15/16 year old girl? You have a 15 year old girl? Denying visitation for a year?

Nope, doesn't look good for you.

LdiJ

I think that you have really messed yourself up...however, if your husband is prison for the next 2 years then there is no current danger to your children.
However, why you would marry someone who has been convicted of sexual battery against a teenage girl, when you have a teenage daughter, is beyond me. You should have realized that it would be a significant problem. All of your children will be legal adults in less than 4 years.

Ohiogal

Queen Bee

They don't choose. If you were a parent, you would have made them go.
The girl was 16 and you think SHE was to blame? Your husband is not a great man. He is a CHILD RAPIST.

You are full of excuses. I can only hope this is the ex pretending to be mom because if you are really mom, you are delusional, in denial, and should not be in charge of caring for a goldfish.

I'mTheFather

And that's just disgusting.

Good for him. I wish him luck.

Last edited:

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney

I don't know about anyone else, but I'm still waiting for you to tell us about your husband, the great man. Because the man you described is anything but.

For the safety and well-being of the kids, I hope the ex gets custody.

TheGeekess

Keeper of the Kraken

I think that you have really messed yourself up...however, if your husband is prison for the next 2 years then there is no current danger to your children.
However, why you would marry someone who has been convicted of sexual battery against a teenage girl, when you have a teenage daughter, is beyond me. You should have realized that it would be a significant problem. All of your children will be legal adults in less than 4 years.
Because she heaps blame upon the young girl her husband sexually abused. If it was OP's daughter, I'm sure Daughter'd be to blame also. :cool:

Silverplum

*spit*

You don't deserve our help.

Proserpina

So tell me.

Are you Dad testing the waters? Dad's latest, perhaps? I don't believe for one nanosecond that you're actually Mom.

If, by some miracle, you are actually the mother, my advice is this:

Hand over those children to their father. You should have custody of nothing more complex than a lettuce leaf.

(And even then, I'd make sure you never actually touched the lettuce leaf)

Proserpina

(C'mon folks - we have sexually dangerous current husband, The Blaming Of The Teen, the company all out to get him factor, the kids don't want to see Dad factor.... this is classic Family Forum Fun department)

Why in the H would you want to have your children around someone convicted of that! Use your brain woman! Dump is butt or you will be luckey to end up with supervised visits. And stop thinking about your self and put your kids first should make you sick what he did and your excuses for his bad behavior is just as bad as what he did and also you even having him around your child being convicted child sex offender is deplorable! :eek:

Ladyback1

As any self-respecting and caring father would!

Was your current husband an adult when he molested a 15/16 y/o girl on his soccer team? If so, then he shoulders all the blame. The girl was a CHILD (no matter how grown-up she looked or acted). The adult in the situation (your husband) should have never had any sort of sexual encounter with a CHILD.

And yep, I see the judge giving your Ex full custody (and you paying child support!)

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">