• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

How do I go about getting son's father to turn over his parental rights to my husband

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

lindarobb

What is the name of your state?I live in Maryland and I need to know what papers to file or how to start proceedings for my sons father to turn over his parental rights to my husband. He has only taken him 2 times in 10 years. He never see's him but does pay child support.We had a paternity test done but no one really has custody of my son. He has always just been with me. I dont want his money I would rather my son have a father. Can someone please help me? Thanks

Last edited:

BelizeBreeze

lindarobb said:
What is the name of your state?I live in Maryland and I need to know what papers to file or how to start proceedings for my sons father to turn over his parental rights to my husband.
There are no papers to make him as you have been told.
lindarobb said:
He has only taken him 2 times in 10 years.
Legally irrelevant
lindarobb said:
He never see's him but does pay child support.
all that is required.
lindarobb said:
We had a paternity test done but no one really has custody of my son.
But he does have a father. This is NOT a question of custody but of parental rights.
lindarobb said:
He has always just been with me.
So, you think because you popped him from between your legs he's yours alone? think again woman.
lindarobb said:
I dont want his money I would rather my son have a father.
Then go to court and ask to have child support stopped. By the way, the child DOES have a father. And it's not your husband.
lindarobb said:
Can someone please help me? Thanks
why would anyone want to help you?

O.K. here's what you do. YOu contact your ex and tell him to come get the kid because you are giving HIM custody, that you will Pay HIM child support and that you will sever all parental rights to the child.

vlada

I guess BB knows it all.

I was in similar situation and filed a petition to terminate my ex's parental rights. The court looked for child's best interest and decided that my ex wasn't interested to be a farther since he's made a very little attempt (if any) to perform his parental duties.
Child support is NOT the main issue here. The only fact that legal system requires him to pay doesn't mean that he is a good parent.
They asked my son (he was also 10 back then) if he has any contact with the farther, and if he wants to be dopted by my husband.
I wouldn't say that it was a short and easy process. My ex appealed twice, but his parental rights were terminated.
Go, talk to an attorney, see what he says. The first consultation is free, you have nothing to lose.

Silverplum

vlada said:
I guess BB knows it all.

I was in similar situation and filed a petition to terminate my ex's parental rights. The court looked for child's best interest and decided that my ex wasn't interested to be a farther since he's made a very little attempt (if any) to perform his parental duties.
Child support is NOT the main issue here. The only fact that legal system requires him to pay doesn't mean that he is a good parent.
They asked my son (he was also 10 back then) if he has any contact with the farther, and if he wants to be dopted by my husband.
I wouldn't say that it was a short and easy process. My ex appealed twice, but his parental rights were terminated.
Go, talk to an attorney, see what he says. The first consultation is free, you have nothing to lose.
I presume you have legal references from Maryland to prove your points? And that all first consultations with MD attorneys are free?

tigger22472

vlada said:
I guess BB knows it all.

Can you say that there were no other issues involved in your case with your ex that the judge terminated his rights after his appeals? Can you say that your case is like the OP's? Getting a TPR against the bio's protests are EXTREMELY hard to do unless there is major evidence.

vlada

Silverplum said:
I presume you have legal references from Maryland to prove your points? And that all first consultations with MD attorneys are free?
No, I don't have legal references from MD.
I didn't make my points, it was made by the court system.
I told you my story, and it wasn't in MD. Is MD some weird state?
As to attorneys, I know here if he wants to make money and have a favorable case, yes, they'll listen and consult first time free.

I also believe that she has a case.

vlada

tigger22472 said:
Can you say that there were no other issues involved in your case with your ex that the judge terminated his rights after his appeals? Can you say that your case is like the OP's? Getting a TPR against the bio's protests are EXTREMELY hard to do unless there is major evidence.
No, there was no other issues, there was no TPRs or any orders at all.
My ex did not care for his son for at least three years. I mean nothing!
No contact at all. My husband was a farther to my son.
Ex appealed just because... But it wasn't good enough.

confusedagain12

BB you truly must have no life

For anyone to be as bitter, rude, and bullying as you, there's got to be something in your life that really is making you miserable. I hope you find some happiest someday so you can stop trying to overcome your lack of self esteem by putting people down on this forum.

You do add some drama to it all though.

And no I don't have any advice for this OP, I am not a lawyer. I just happen to think that your last comments were totally inappropriate and wanted to say so, since it seems that opinion is more important than advice as far as you are concerned.

Go have a drink or something.

Silverplum

vlada said:
No, I don't have legal references from MD.
I didn't make my points, it was made by the court system.
I told you my story, and it wasn't in MD. Is MD some weird state?
As to attorneys, I know here if he wants to make money and have a favorable case, yes, they'll listen and consult first time free.

I also believe that she has a case.
Well, you are on a legal site, and here the discussion is primarily of legal matters. Your personal story in a different state matters not at all. Family law is extremely state-specific. So yes, MD is a "weird state." They all are.

And no, not all family attorneys give free consults. Some do. Some do not. A fine thing if a poster takes your *advice* and thinks s/he can saunter into a top attorney's office and blab for an hour...and find they owe the attorney $400.

Your points, such as they are, should contain at least a modicum of accurate legal information.

In short, don't mislead posters.

vlada

Silverplum said:
Well, you are on a legal site, and here the discussion is primarily of legal matters. Your personal story in a different state matters not at all. Family law is extremely state-specific. So yes, MD is a "weird state." They all are.

And no, not all family attorneys give free consults. Some do. Some do not. A fine thing if a poster takes your *advice* and thinks s/he can saunter into a top attorney's office and blab for an hour...and find they owe the attorney $400.

Your points, such as they are, should contain at least a modicum of accurate legal information.

In short, don't mislead posters.
Yes, legal site, but posters do not have legal decree and nobody takes this forum as a legal advise.
Yes, my personal story matters, and many family provisions are similar in different states.
No, top attorney will not blab for no pay, but many regular ones will.
I do not mislead anyone, I do not insist that it will work in the presented case in MD, but I tell you that I won the case in similar situation.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">