• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Leave the child alone? Walk to school by themselves?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Status
Not open for further replies.

rudy123

Can any one help me find the Washington State law about when it is legal to let your child walk to school on their own?
Like at what age in general is it legal to let them walk anywhere on their own.
Or Leave them alone, as walking by themselves is leaving them alone.

Thanks In advance.

rmet4nzkx

Childen have walked to school alone for years. Try kindergarten. Alone after school is usually based on maturity of child.

rudy123

Ok I will re-phrase, is there a law in Washington State that designates what age you can leave a child alone, anywhere.

I

itsacatsworld

You as a parent with all the BS going on DONT WALK THEM TO AN FRO TO THE BUS YOUR BEING A NEGLECTFUL PARENT.

rudy123

I understand that, this is in reference to what my ex is doing, opinons don't matter, I am looking for laws that deal with leaving a child alone, like letting them walk to school.

I am trying to demonstrate to the court that this is poor parenting, a law would be helpful, I searched the RCW's of Washington State and found nothing.

carofl93

Call your local sheriff's or police department. Or, try CPS. My stepdaughter is 8 and we live 2 houses away from her school. She walks to school with our neighbor, and I walk down to pick her up after school. We're in Florida and with the 2 recent murders of young girls, most parents are doing the same.

Carol

I

itsacatsworld

No whats good for the goose is good for the gander. If a judge rules in your favor I know at least 7 people in WA that have appeals based on your circumstances........ you endangered a child or close to be that kind of felony.

abstract99

There would be a law........ IF it was bad parenting. Children not only walk alone to school all the time but stand at the bus stop by them selves. Are we talking walk 4 miles to school or a half a block? I am sure that if they are walking then they live close enough for the school district to not offer busses. In that case it is not far at all. As much as it sucks you cannot follow your children around until they turn 18 in the hopes that they will not get kidnapped or something. How old is the child?

rudy123

The child is 7 a 2nd grader, the walk is 1/4 mile, I saw him yesterday late, two blocks away walking, so he had to cross a busy street without a crossing guard and was late to school

BethM

Washington State doesn't have any state laws that regulate how old a child has to be if left alone at home. They do have guidelines they use though and the state guideline is 12 years old. They don't hold fast and firm to that guideline because it depends on the maturity of the child. That is also the age that is recommended by the National Safe Kids Campaign.

A 7 year old is not mature enough to be left at home alone and is surely not mature enough to walk that far to school and to have to cross a busy street alone.

You need to call 1-866-ENDHARM and discuss the situation with them. Also the state has an agency called Childcare Resources that helps single mothers find before and after school care for their children. Your son's mother might be willing to look into getting help with the child before and after school to keep him from having to be alone in dangerous situation. Their number is 1-800-446-1114.

I have a friend who is an attorney in Washington State. He recently won custody for a client of his based on an issue just like this. It was a 9 year old child who was being left home alone in the mornings and afternoons with no supervision. I can't imagine leaving my 7 year old alone of sending him off to walk to school alone like this child does.

abstract99

There is no law specific to that. I would mention it in court, it might help, it might not. If you have a lot of other stuff it might help by just being able to compile a large list of negatives. If that is all you have though it might not be that much. Chances are good that dad might have a "valid" excuse for the tardiness but he still should have walked him himself of he was late. On the other hand, did you jusy happen to be driving down the street at that time or were you specifically out looking for this one thing?

rudy123

I am the dad, I was on my way to pick up my 5 and 4 year old when I saw him. I have to drive right by the school to go to their apartment.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">