• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Leave the child alone? Walk to school by themselves?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Status
Not open for further replies.

LdiJ

rudy123 said:
I am the dad, I was on my way to pick up my 5 and 4 year old when I saw him. I have to drive right by the school to go to their apartment.
Since you saw your child did you stop and pick him up? Did you ask him what was going on?...or did you just leave him to finish the walk by himself? If you did....then you are just as guilty as mom and it would be wiser not to bring it up in court.

rmet4nzkx

What I said was based upon OP original facts which were few. Washington doesn't have a law on having to accopamy a child to school that is why you can't find one, 1/4 mile is not too far to walk my children walked farther than that in kindegarten and further than that to childcare after school. There is no law per se about leaving a child alone, it is based upon the maturity of the child.

You are not giving us the facts hoping to get an emptional response, not one based on the law. You are going to have a better case than this. If mom is getting the children up and ready for school and has to leave to go to work in order to keep employed and your son isn't ready, or is a slow walker, then he will have to learn to be more responsible too. If you are going to pick your other children up, why not get there earlier and drive him if you are so concerned?

casa

To my surprise, while filling out registration for 6th grade, I found out that the school allows kindergarten students to ride the bus.

When I drove my child to school, I saw children of all ages walking- either alone or with a friend. Some of them looked really young to me.

I personally would not let a 7 yr old walk to school alone, in this day & age- but that's my personal opinion & not necessarily the law.

Shoot my kids asked me when they could start walking to school and I told them when they were ohhh 13 lol. I couldn't imagine letting my 7 year old walk to school alone she would stop and chit chat with everyone along the way.

stealth2

Under the Radar Member
casa said:
To my surprise, while filling out registration for 6th grade, I found out that the school allows kindergarten students to ride the bus.
This really isn't that unusual.

As for whether 7 is too young to walk a 1/4 mile to school - all depends on the kid, the area, etc. When I was a kid, we all walked to school - and it was more than 1/4 mile. Now? Lots of kids walk on their own that far to the bus-stop - from K on up.

casa

stealth2 said:
This really isn't that unusual.

As for whether 7 is too young to walk a 1/4 mile to school - all depends on the kid, the area, etc. When I was a kid, we all walked to school - and it was more than 1/4 mile. Now? Lots of kids walk on their own that far to the bus-stop - from K on up.
I'm not making any references to age (yours or mine :cool: ) but what we did when we were kids & what is safe & smart now, are 2 different things. <IMO> :eek: I simply wouldn't take that chance- living in such a populated state as I do.

stealth2

Under the Radar Member
casa said:
I'm not making any references to age (yours or mine :cool: ) but what we did when we were kids & what is safe & smart now, are 2 different things. <IMO> :eek: I simply wouldn't take that chance- living in such a populated state as I do.
Yeah, but we don't know how populated the area the child lives in is. Nor do we know what the norm for that area is. In the town where I grew up (30 minutes from NYC), the kids STILL walk to school. How do I know? We lived there for a few years, a few years back. Here (1 1/2 hours from NYC), all the kids are bussed - but a lot of kids that age do walk to the stop on their own. So it really isn't that unusual.

LdiJ

stealth2 said:
Yeah, but we don't know how populated the area the child lives in is. Nor do we know what the norm for that area is. In the town where I grew up (30 minutes from NYC), the kids STILL walk to school. How do I know? We lived there for a few years, a few years back. Here (1 1/2 hours from NYC), all the kids are bussed - but a lot of kids that age do walk to the stop on their own. So it really isn't that unusual.
I live in the same neighborhood I grew up in. When I was a child you were not permitted to ride the bus unless you lived more than 1/2 mile from the school. When my daughter attended elementary school NO CHILD was permitted to walk, AT ALL, unless the parent called the school in advance and explained that the child missed the bus and the parent had no transportation. The rule was so rigid than even the kids who lived directly across the street from the school had to get on the bus and drive across the street. :eek: The bus literally stopped in front of the kids houses...they got on, and then the bus pulled into the school.

However...in this SAME school district...kids in apartment complexes have to walk to the front of the complex, no matter if its a mile or more...in order to be picked up by the bus...go figure???

In any case...I think the school district has a lot of control over the "rules".

casa

stealth2 said:
True, We've recently moved to a less populated area...so that could be it. I don't know though, being a Parent means making the best choices for our children- and, apparently, that doesn't always coincide with the law.

rmet4nzkx

Op's questions were specific to Washington state law re children walking to school alone and what age can a child legally stay alone at home. Not what peoples personal feelings were or if it was safe.
OP's intent although it was not expressed in their original question was to use these laws if they existed to win custody away from mom. OP couldn't find specific laws re these issues because they don't exist, if there are issues, they will have to be argued on a case by case basis. OP watched as his son walked to school and was late.

These questions were asked and answered. Children who dwaddle on their way to school is not a new problem and not one that is likely to change the custody status without additional facts which were not provided. I'm not saying that safety issues don't exist, but there are reasons why there are no laws stating that a child can't walk to school alone. Many school districts eliminate bus service or charge for it when it used to be free. The other side of this issue is that there is an epidemic of overweight children, why? Because they don't get enough exercise, they don't play and they don't walk anywhere yet they often shoes costing close to a hundred dollars. :confused:

nextwife

My goodness.

Yup, I walked or rode my bike to and from school from K or 1st grade on. My kid goes to the same school I did, we live in the same neighborhood I grew up in, and many kids do walk. Mine could, we are close enough, but, because I judge that she is NOT mature, or savvy, enough, I have her ride the bus. I don't "walk her to the stop", but then, the bus picks up at the end of our driveway,and I watch her from the door until she's on the bus. When she was 4 and 5, I DID wait with her. The drivers are not allowed to let them off the bus at the end of the day unless the parent is at the stop or waves to them from inside.

This year she ASKED me to PLEASE, Mommy, don't let the other kids see me waiting with her, could I stay inside?

dallas702

Where I live they don't bus kids that live closer than 2 MILES! Obviously, no 5-6-7-8 year old can do that distance safely....so the mongo SUVs and minivans are lined up twice daily all around the schools.

Perhaps the NC dad in this case is missing an opportunity to see his son every morning. If the timing is right, pick up the boy and take him to school. Make it work for all of you.

stealth2

Under the Radar Member
rmet4nzkx said:
Op's questions were specific to Washington state law re children walking to school alone and what age can a child legally stay alone at home. Not what peoples personal feelings were or if it was safe.
OP's intent although it was not expressed in their original question was to use these laws if they existed to win custody away from mom. OP couldn't find specific laws re these issues because they don't exist, if there are issues, they will have to be argued on a case by case basis. OP watched as his son walked to school and was late.

These questions were asked and answered. Children who dwaddle on their way to school is not a new problem and not one that is likely to change the custody status without additional facts which were not provided. I'm not saying that safety issues don't exist, but there are reasons why there are no laws stating that a child can't walk to school alone. Many school districts eliminate bus service or charge for it when it used to be free. The other side of this issue is that there is an epidemic of overweight children, why? Because they don't get enough exercise, they don't play and they don't walk anywhere yet they often shoes costing close to a hundred dollars. :confused:
Yep. And then it morphed into why this may not be poor parenting, neglect or whatever. Mostly to give OP additional perspective.

casa

rmet4nzkx said:
The other side of this issue is that there is an epidemic of overweight children, why? Because they don't get enough exercise, they don't play and they don't walk anywhere yet they often shoes costing close to a hundred dollars. :confused:
LOL My kids don't hold still long enough to become overweight :eek: And shopping at Payless from an early age, has gotten them into the habit of not even ASKING for $100 shoes. If my child gets $100 shoes- they better be working a part time job or received them from someone else as a gift. :cool:

nextwife

LOL! Even my wedding shoes weren't $100! My kid gets quality shoes on closeout at places like Marshalls or the Lands End outlet stores. She better NOT ask me to spend any $100 on shoes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by casa

Why is a Kindergartner riding the school bus surprising? Our K4 and K5s all ride the bus, unless their parents happen to drive them. My child took Early Intervention classes at 3, and she rode the "little" bus. THe teachers meet the bus and walk the kids to class. I mean, it's not like they could somehow detour AFTER getting on the bus and somehow NOT get to school!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">