• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

nope not done yet

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Rwedunyet

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? NC

A few months ago, my 17 year old son told me that he had gotten his girlfriend pregnant. About the time I had caught my breath from the news, the girlfriend got sick, was hospitalized and the baby was delivered by emergency C-section. My grand daughter weighed 3 pounds when she was born. She is a month old and is doing well now, home from the NICU.

Girlfriend had told my son that she was unable to conceive due to a lack of fallopian tubes, he believed her and did not use protection. NOT his smartest moment.

During the hospital stay, girlfriend was adamant that my son be there. He stayed the whole time, leaving only for work and school.

He signed the affidavit of paternity.

Girlfriend is doing a good job with the baby. Baby is well cared for, to the point of being spoiled rotten (but with a preemie, it's hard not to spoil them).

However, there are problems. Girlfriend is being VERY controlling and possessive over the baby. I can understand it to a point, for a while, we were all very afraid that the baby would not live. She allows my son to come "visit" his daughter at her house pretty much any time he wants. However, she is constantly criticizing him, and will not let him do much for their child. She doesnt like the way he holds her, or fusses because on the rare occasion that she lets him change a diaper, the tabs on the diaper are not centered the way she likes for them to be. (I've seen him change a diaper, he does fine). If my son misses a day of coming to her house, she complains. She complains about how tired she is, but refuses to let him help.

He asked her about starting some visitation where he could have time alone with his daughter, but mom is saying that it will be a very long time before he can "visit" her without mom being there. She will not even let him handle things while she is in the shower**************.she puts her mother "in charge".

My son is not being informed of Dr's visits, so he has not been able to go to any of them. He has attempted to call the Pediatrician's office to when the next appointment was, but because he is not "on the list", they can not give him any information. Mom says that he shouldn't have to worry about it, she will let him know if there is a problem, and that if this is going to work, he is going to have to just trust her.

My son has (with our help) been making every attempt to provide for his child. He has a crib, clothing, diapers, wipes, swings**************.everything a baby needs at our house, although the mother will not allow him to bring the baby here. Mom did bring the baby last week, but refused to let her use any of dad's "stuff", because she hadnt had time to do a "safety inspection" on it. He (with our help) has also been attempting to send diapers, clothing, wipes, a baby swing, etc to the mother's house so that the baby has everything she needs there as well. However, the mother refuses everything saying that she doesnt need it and can handle it herself.

This includes money! Son has, on multiple occasions, taken cash in hand to her, only to have her refuse to take it. Yet, she has a "gofundme" page that seeks donations from friends, and on that page she states "it's just so hard to raise a child by yourself". She also makes statements on Facebook, for example she stated that she wanted a particular item for the baby, but it was only available at a Baby R Us that was about an hour from her, and she didnt have gas money for it so she guessed her child would have to do without it. All she had to do was let my son know that she wanted this item and he would have gotten it for her, or taken her to go get it. She now has three of this item, because her friends went and got it.

Recently, my son asked her to let him take the baby to visit her great grand parents. She said no because the baby is too young to be away from her mother, that it would be damaging to the "mother-child bond". He offered to let the mother come as well, but she still said no, because it would expose the baby to too many germs. However, mom has been taking baby to visit HER relatives, and her home is constantly full of friends and family.

I have asked my son what he wants to do. He told me that he wanted to be able to do more than visit his child, he wanted to be a father to her. The girlfriend is telling him that she wants the two of them to get married when he graduates and my son agrees. He does want to finish school first and start college, so that he can provide better for his family. He does, however, feel that marriage is the last thing he needs to worry about because if he and mom can't get along now, he feels it will be worse when they are married.

He thinks that his best choice right now would be to get established legal joint custody, and visitation. I agree with him. But, he cannot afford a lawyer, and right now, I cant afford to get him one (the fees for my nephew now son pretty much took all our savings).

Another concern is that my son is only 17**************...can he ask for visitation and custody on his own? He turns 18 in four weeks, should he wait until he is 18? Is there legal aid available for teen fathers? Is there a way to do this without a lawyer?

He is not wanting to take the baby out of the mother's home, he just wants joint custody and hopes to gain a visitation agreement.

He has asked me my opinion on the visitation agreement, but I just dont know what to tell him. We both understand that we have a preemie, and that visitation MUST be done in a way that is safe for the baby, but eventually he will need to have overnights. I'd appreciate any insight that anyone would have on visitation.

I do understand that this is about their child, and I do not intend to make decisions for them. But, they are both very young,and the mother is desperately trying to prove her independence, I want her to be able to gain this independence and confidence. All things aside, she is a good mother. My son, is desperately trying to figure out what he is supposed to do and what his legal rights are and what his legal rights should be. He is simply looking for guidance. That's all I want to do here, is give solid guidance and advice.

I'mTheFather

I'm a little surprised you have to ask, and no disrespect intended. Maybe it's just unnerving when it's so close to home. At any rate, here's a place to start:

http://ww2.legalaidnc.org/assist/custody/

single317dad

In most cases, in most states, minors are subject to the same rights and responsibilities as to child custody and support that adults are. Chances are nothing will be decided in four weeks anyway.

A court order would be an excellent tool to protect your son's interests and his relationship with the child. As always, he should make sure it's as detailed as necessary and leaves as few arguable points as possible.

He should use this small window of opportunity while the child is very young and spends most of her time in mother's care to further his education or advance his trade skills. Teenagers are insanely expensive.

Just Blue

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? NC

A few months ago, my 17 year old son told me that he had gotten his girlfriend pregnant. About the time I had caught my breath from the news, the girlfriend got sick, was hospitalized and the baby was delivered by emergency C-section. My grand daughter weighed 3 pounds when she was born. She is a month old and is doing well now, home from the NICU.

Girlfriend had told my son that she was unable to conceive due to a lack of fallopian tubes, he believed her and did not use protection. NOT his smartest moment.

During the hospital stay, girlfriend was adamant that my son be there. He stayed the whole time, leaving only for work and school.

He signed the affidavit of paternity.

Girlfriend is doing a good job with the baby. Baby is well cared for, to the point of being spoiled rotten (but with a preemie, it's hard not to spoil them).

However, there are problems. Girlfriend is being VERY controlling and possessive over the baby. I can understand it to a point, for a while, we were all very afraid that the baby would not live. She allows my son to come "visit" his daughter at her house pretty much any time he wants. However, she is constantly criticizing him, and will not let him do much for their child. She doesnt like the way he holds her, or fusses because on the rare occasion that she lets him change a diaper, the tabs on the diaper are not centered the way she likes for them to be. (I've seen him change a diaper, he does fine). If my son misses a day of coming to her house, she complains. She complains about how tired she is, but refuses to let him help.

He asked her about starting some visitation where he could have time alone with his daughter, but mom is saying that it will be a very long time before he can "visit" her without mom being there. She will not even let him handle things while she is in the shower**************.she puts her mother "in charge".

My son is not being informed of Dr's visits, so he has not been able to go to any of them. He has attempted to call the Pediatrician's office to when the next appointment was, but because he is not "on the list", they can not give him any information. Mom says that he shouldn't have to worry about it, she will let him know if there is a problem, and that if this is going to work, he is going to have to just trust her.

My son has (with our help) been making every attempt to provide for his child. He has a crib, clothing, diapers, wipes, swings**************.everything a baby needs at our house, although the mother will not allow him to bring the baby here. Mom did bring the baby last week, but refused to let her use any of dad's "stuff", because she hadnt had time to do a "safety inspection" on it. He (with our help) has also been attempting to send diapers, clothing, wipes, a baby swing, etc to the mother's house so that the baby has everything she needs there as well. However, the mother refuses everything saying that she doesnt need it and can handle it herself.

This includes money! Son has, on multiple occasions, taken cash in hand to her, only to have her refuse to take it. Yet, she has a "gofundme" page that seeks donations from friends, and on that page she states "it's just so hard to raise a child by yourself". She also makes statements on Facebook, for example she stated that she wanted a particular item for the baby, but it was only available at a Baby R Us that was about an hour from her, and she didnt have gas money for it so she guessed her child would have to do without it. All she had to do was let my son know that she wanted this item and he would have gotten it for her, or taken her to go get it. She now has three of this item, because her friends went and got it.

Recently, my son asked her to let him take the baby to visit her great grand parents. She said no because the baby is too young to be away from her mother, that it would be damaging to the "mother-child bond". He offered to let the mother come as well, but she still said no, because it would expose the baby to too many germs. However, mom has been taking baby to visit HER relatives, and her home is constantly full of friends and family.

I have asked my son what he wants to do. He told me that he wanted to be able to do more than visit his child, he wanted to be a father to her. The girlfriend is telling him that she wants the two of them to get married when he graduates and my son agrees. He does want to finish school first and start college, so that he can provide better for his family. He does, however, feel that marriage is the last thing he needs to worry about because if he and mom can't get along now, he feels it will be worse when they are married.

He thinks that his best choice right now would be to get established legal joint custody, and visitation. I agree with him. But, he cannot afford a lawyer, and right now, I cant afford to get him one (the fees for my nephew now son pretty much took all our savings).

Another concern is that my son is only 17**************...can he ask for visitation and custody on his own? He turns 18 in four weeks, should he wait until he is 18? Is there legal aid available for teen fathers? Is there a way to do this without a lawyer?

He is not wanting to take the baby out of the mother's home, he just wants joint custody and hopes to gain a visitation agreement.

He has asked me my opinion on the visitation agreement, but I just dont know what to tell him. We both understand that we have a preemie, and that visitation MUST be done in a way that is safe for the baby, but eventually he will need to have overnights. I'd appreciate any insight that anyone would have on visitation.

I do understand that this is about their child, and I do not intend to make decisions for them. But, they are both very young,and the mother is desperately trying to prove her independence, I want her to be able to gain this independence and confidence. All things aside, she is a good mother. My son, is desperately trying to figure out what he is supposed to do and what his legal rights are and what his legal rights should be. He is simply looking for guidance. That's all I want to do here, is give solid guidance and advice.
Your son is old enough to make the baby...He should be old enough to post for himself.

With all do respect to you...This is HIS LEGAL issue.

:)

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
Aw, c'mon. We can make an exception or two for a regular poster, can't we?

Just Blue

Aw, c'mon. We can make an exception or two for a regular poster, can't we?
I thought I stated it nice. :)

And yes we can...But is that in the BEST interest of the FATHER? It's his child...Should he not deal with this himself?? :confused:

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
When it comes to actually dealing with it, of course.

When it comes to collecting information, I've never understood the vehemence with which family members are told off. Surely a close family member can ask questions and, if more details are needed, ask and provide them? I can understand when it's "someone I know" or another member of a triangle, but I don't see the sense in sending off the parent of a teenaged kid.

single317dad

When it comes to actually dealing with it, of course.

When it comes to collecting information, I've never understood the vehemence with which family members are told off. Surely a close family member can ask questions and, if more details are needed, ask and provide them? I can understand when it's "someone I know" or another member of a triangle, but I don't see the sense in sending off the parent of a teenaged kid.
There has to be a line somewhere. I don't always agree with where the line is drawn, but I do agree that a line must be drawn.

My personal line is usually crossed when some unrelated party shares info they shouldn't be posting online, or is just snooping into others' personal affairs. Steps who think they can represent their new spouse in their custody case are also a pet peeve.

But I have no problem helping someone who simply asks for it. Sometimes, "time to put on the big boy pants" goes without saying. Other times, it has to be said.

mommyanme

Being in North Carolina, you know Dad's chances of gaining joint legal are good, it's just the way most courts here seem to do it now. But, first I would have him go to child support enforcement and have him sign himself us for child support asap, this way he can not be accused of a lack of financially supporting their child mutually. In most counties here, mediation is free and the forms are at most court houses. Try that route first and if Mom absolutely refuses, well then, you know what comes next.

Last edited by a moderator:

Just Blue

There has to be a line somewhere. I don't always agree with where the line is drawn, but I do agree that a line must be drawn.

My personal line is usually crossed when some unrelated party shares info they shouldn't be posting online, or is just snooping into others' personal affairs. Steps who think they can represent their new spouse in their custody case are also a pet peeve.

But I have no problem helping someone who simply asks for it. Sometimes, "time to put on the big boy pants" goes without saying. Other times, it has to be said.
As a Parent I can see how OP wants to assist her child. But the child is now a PARENT and will have do deal with this himself in court. It is in HIS BEST INTEREST, IMO, to start dealing with this NOW.

He can post for himself...Ask his own questions. Stuff like that..ya know?? :)

Perhaps OP could direct her Son here or give him the name of a good Family Law Attorney ...But he, the FATHER, needs to learn how to deal with his own legal business.

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
And IMO there is no harm in a parent asking on behalf of their minor child, even if the minor child is himself a parent.

So there we are.

stealth2

Under the Radar Member
OP... I really think that your son would do well at least comsulting an attorney. But kudos to him for steping up to the plate.

And were it one of my kids in this situation, I would hope my friends here would be willing to turn a bit of a blind eye and help me out.

Just Blue

OP... I really think that your son would do well at least comsulting an attorney. But kudos to him for steping up to the plate.

And were it one of my kids in this situation, I would hope my friends here would be willing to turn a bit of a blind eye and help me out.
Stealth...You tell people on a regular basis to have the LEGALLY involved party to post for him/her self.

And that is all I was doing. OPs son is not going to have the option of Mom talking to the Judge. Jr. will have to do that for himself. :)

stealth2

Under the Radar Member
Stealth...You tell people on a regular basis to have the LEGALLY involved party to post for him/her self.

And that is all I was doing. OPs son is not going to have the option of Mom talking to the Judge. Jr. will have to do that for himself. :)
Yes, I do. But this is one of our regulars. She is neither the first nor the last, and *I* think we can provide some leeway, should we choose to. And it would seem quite a few of us do. 1

Last edited by a moderator:

Ohiogal

Queen Bee
Your son needs to file in court to establish a parent child relationship. You can't do that for him even though he is a minor. Without court orders he has no enforceable right to this child. He can be ordered to pay child support. And some states will actually order the GRANDPARENTS to pay child support on behalf of their minor children who are parents. He needs to meet with an attorney and file so that he can be a father to his child. Until he does so, he has NO RIGHT to be at doctor's appointments, no right to have companionship with the child or any right to make any decisions.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">