• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

after the ex gets re-married does me child support change?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Status
Not open for further replies.

scott 6466

What is the name of your state? Arizona.
My marriage ended in 2002, my ex wife had never worked and I had to pay a substantial amount of monthly child support. I was wondering if the amount of monthly child support decreases as my ex is currently remarried. Any help would be appreciated.

S

shell007

scott 6466 said:
What is the name of your state? Arizona.
My marriage ended in 2002, my ex wife had never worked and I had to pay a substantial amount of monthly child support. I was wondering if the amount of monthly child support decreases as my ex is currently remarried. Any help would be appreciated.
Do you expect your Ex's NEW spouce to support YOUR KIDS?

haiku

the short answer is NO, a new spouses income does not normally come into play for support calculations on either side, as only legal parents are responible for thier children.

scott 6466

No, sorry if I come accross as not "caring" I'm just in the process of trying to figure things out. I have to get my divorce updated due to a change in my medical history and yearly salary.
I guess I should share a little about me, late 2003 I was diagnosed with a brain tumor and had to stop working and have been on disability ever since. The ex got remarried and receieved monthly child support from disability. The tumor was removed in July 2005, I'm about to start working again although at a lower salary prior to the medical issues. My ex wants another $400.00 a month on top of the child support, she doesn't want me to add my kids on my insurance. I realize I have to obtain an attorney I just wanted an idea how to approach all issues, my child support, health insurance, my driving with the kids again etc.

nextwife

Maybe he expects her to someday SHARE the financial cost of supporting HER kids.

Poster, many states have now instituted "income share formulas" to calculate CS. If it has been some time since the order, and YOUR income has not gone up substantially, you may benefit if an income is imputed to her for being voluntarilly unemployed. Run the numbers and see, based on your state, minimum wage for her, and your present income.

scott 6466

I will look into that and I appreciate your help and advice. I want to ensure my children are taken care like most of you. I just hate seeing my ex spending the child support payments on her-getting her hair and nails done ever week.

S

shell007

scott 6466 said:
I will look into that and I appreciate your help and advice. I want to ensure my children are taken care like most of you. I just hate seeing my ex spending the child support payments on her-getting her hair and nails done ever week.
Are your kids being cared for? Do they have a roof over their head, a warm place to sleep, clothes on their backs, food in their stomachs, trasportation to get from here to there? If YES...then this is how your EX is using the $$$.

scott 6466

"Maybe he expects her to someday SHARE the financial cost of supporting HER kids."

This is exactly what I want! When we first got divorced I did basically everything I could to help my guys, anything that would be benificial to my kids I signed over, my attorney suggested I not do that, I just kept thinking of my kids. Now my kids have anything and everything they want, my ex is doing well her current husband is financially secure, very much so and he treats my kids great. I still want to do everything I can although I don't want the money I'm signing over to be misused, not going to the kids.

S

shell007

scott 6466 said:
"Maybe he expects her to someday SHARE the financial cost of supporting HER kids."

This is exactly what I want! When we first got divorced I did basically everything I could to help my guys, anything that would be benificial to my kids I signed over, my attorney suggested I not do that, I just kept thinking of my kids. Now my kids have anything and everything they want, my ex is doing well her current husband is financially secure, very much so and he treats my kids great. I still want to do everything I can although I don't want the money I'm signing over to be misused, not going to the kids.
YOU admit that your kids have anything and everything they want, so....what makes you think the money YOUR are signing over is being misused?

nextwife

When I was a kid, my Dad was a brain tumor patient (frontal glioma) and we DID need to adjust our spending pattern. When one parent is sick, it is reasonable to experience SOME adjustment in lifestyle, and it is NOT necessarilly a bad thing for a child to learn to think of another's needs before their own. None of us suffered for it - life DOES sometimes need to change when one's parent has a major illness. Amazing - when a kids parents are married to each other they live with and are affected by a parents illness and the financial impacts, but we expect them to be totally INSULATED from it if the parents are divorced? It's STILL their parent.

Now, poster, are you on SS disablity? Do you have either language or motor skill impairments? If you are or will be recieving SS disabaility, your children are entitled to benefits under your SS. Be certain to have them apply. And see about having income imputed to her. ALL adults need to have transportation and put a roof over their heads, even if they don't have kids. Most of my friends have homes even after their kids have moved out, having kids in the home is not the only reason to have a house. Most I know believe that they need a house and car whether or not they have had kids, or their kids are now off on their own.

Also, apply for a modification if your surgery or tumor has affected your cognitive or motor abilities in a way that impacts your earning capacity. People just don't get that the mere process of cutting into the brain to remove the tumor (and radiation/chemo, etc.) can create permanant damage to some brain functions, depending on tumor location.

Last edited:
S

shell007

nextwife said:
When I was a kid, my Dad was a brain tumor patient (frontal glioma) and we DID need to adjust our spending pattern. When one parent is sick, it is reasonable to experience SOME adjustment in lifestyle, and it is NOT necessarilly a bad thing for a child to learn to think of another's needs before their own. None of us suffered for it - life DOES sometimes need to change when one's parent has a major illness. Amazing - when a kids parents are married to each other they live with and are affected by a parents illness and the financial impacts, but we expect them to be totally INSULATED from it if the parents are divorced? It's STILL their parent.

Now, poster, are you on SS disablity? Do you have either language or motor skill impairments? If you are or will be recieving SS disabaility? If so, your chil;dren are entitled to benefits under your SS. Be certain to have them apply. And see about having income imputed to her. ALL adults need to have transportation and put a roof over their heads, even if they don't have kids. Most of my fr4iends have homes even after thjeir kids have moved out, having kids in the home is not the only reason to have a house. Most I know believe that they need a house and car whether or not they have had kids, or their kids are now off on their own.

Also, apply for a modification if your surgery or tumor has affcted your cogniticve or motor abilities in a way that impacts your earning capacity. People just don't get that the mere process of cutting into the brain to remove the tumor (and radiation/chemo, etc.) can create permanant damage to some brain functions, depending on tumor location.
I agree that IF the OP's income has decreased since the original orders that he should file for a reduction. However, it seems that he wants a reduction because his EX is remarried to someone who is financially stable and because OP thinks EX is spending CS on beauty salon appointments.

scott 6466

I guess it's due to all that I see from the ex. The home she currently resides in the $60,000 dollar car she drives, the expensive clothing she wears etc. She's the type of person that sees an opportunity to better "herself" by taking advantage of others she'll do it. I just don't care to know people that do such things, if she didn't get pregnant-which she did intentially, she lied to me about her being on birth control I would of never married her in the first place.
I just have to figure out how to do things, meaning update the divorce paper work. I want to start driving with my kids again, ensure I get my kids on half the holidays, take them places etc..

scott 6466

shellandty said:
I agree that IF the OP's income has decreased since the original orders that he should file for a reduction. However, it seems that he wants a reduction because his EX is remarried to someone who is financially stable and because OP thinks EX is spending CS on beauty salon appointments.
I probably didn't come accross correctly, I don't care who she's married to or how financially secure he is I'm being told different this from others, granted none of them have the background that you guys do. I just want to learn and understand things properly. I'm in the process of getting back on my feet, and looking into things a little more deeply meaning the divorce documentation.

S

shell007

scott 6466 said:
I probably didn't come accross correctly, I don't care who she's married to or how financially secure he is I'm being told different this from others, granted none of them have the background that you guys do. I just want to learn and understand things properly. I'm in the process of getting back on my feet, and looking into things a little more deeply meaning the divorce documentation.
Contact your attorney who handled everything in your divorce and inform him/her about the updated details of your health, disability, money etc. I'm sure they will lead you in the right direction.

scott 6466

I appreciate your suggestions, once I start working again, which should be the end of this month I'm definatly going to find and attorney. I hate to go that route as positive relations between the ex and her family and I will suffer which means my kids will suffer.
I grew up with divorced parent's that fought all the time, I don't want my kids to be around that. Do I suffer and not get to do things with my kids, driving them to lunch, the park or on vacations because my ex doesn't want me to and I want to keep a sound relationship or do I go through the legal process to do more things with my kids? I want to do more things with my kids but I don't want them to see or hear their parents fighting.
I'm sort of caught in deciding what's best for my kids?
For the past three years, with my medical issues, I'd get my kids on the weekends and we neverleft the house unless it was close enough so we could walk. Now all the medical issues are resolved and I'm permitted to start working and driving again by my physcian and the department of motor vehicles. My ex hated hearing that, you should of heard how she reacted when I first got permission from my doctor and the department and gave her the legal documentation, she was yelling and cussing in front of the kids, I was able to calm her down and settle the dispute by accepting a three month waiting period, she wanted me to wait another year. I just hate my kids hearing or being around that sort of stuff.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">