• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

disability and child support

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

RR218

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Ga.

My ex-boyfriend was recently in a four-wheeler accident outside of work and he is getting 100% temporary disability. (I don't know anything about what 100% temporary disability is.) He broke his back and shattered a shoulder, so he will be out of work for a while. Will he have to pay child support during the months that he isn't working from the money he receives from disability. He does not have anything to do with our little girl and I don't speak to him to find out any information on anything. I live in Georgia and he lives in Florida, didn't know if that was relevant.

Last edited:

Antigone*

My ex-boyfriend was recently in a four-wheeler accident outside of work and he is getting 100% temporary disability. (I don't know anything about what 100% temporary disability is.) He broke his back and shattered a shoulder, so he will be out of work for a while. Will he have to pay child support during the months that he isn't working from the money he receives from disability. He does not have anything to do with our little girl and I don't speak to him to find out any information on anything. I live in Georgia and he lives in Florida, didn't know if that was relevant.
Unless there is a change to his order he needs to continue to pay support.

Silverplum

But of course, OP wants to change the child's name without even notifying Dad:

My daughters last name is the same as her father she is 8 years old, but my other daughter has my last name. Well, my 8 year old has been asking me to change her last name to mine because she wants the same last name as me and my other child. Her father is in and out of jail and is currently awaiting a hearin on an arson case. He will probably be in jail for a long time if convicted. Can I get her name changed without his permission. He doesn't have anything to do with her and could care less what abou her, but if I were to ask him he would say no because he is an a-hole. He doesn't want anything to do with her do to her physical disability she was born with and he is ashamed of her. He doesn't pay child support even though it is court ordered. His license has been suspended but with his illegal past that doesn't bother him. Is there something that I can do legally without him knowing? I heard that if her name change is posted in the news paper for 6 weeks with no response from him it would be legal. Is that true?
Nobody has clean hands.

https://forum.freeadvice.com/child-custody-visitation-37/can-i-change-my-daughters-last-name-without-permission-her-father-555272.html

:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

RR218

Silverplum,
I don't understand why my hands aren't clean. I have left her name alone for 8 years now. I am not the one wanting to change her name. She wants to have her name changed and I think that she is old enough to understand that he is not there for her and that he doesn't give a crap. She came to me asking for the name change. All I'm saying is, he isn't there for her and doesn't even pay to support her. Why should he get to decide what she wants. On top of all of that, he is ashamed of her disability. my oldest child wants her name changed. The child support issue with the four wheeler accident is my youngest daughter. Neither father is involved with their kids.

Last edited:

RR218

silver plum,
I have two children, one has asked for her name to be changed the other has my last name. two different issues, you are pretty quick to be a smart butt don't you think.

2Mistakes

Was the accident his fault? He could petition the court for a down-ward modification due to his disability.

Your daughter can also receive a payment for his disability. Judges will sometimes credit this toward child support payable.

Just Blue

silver plum,
I have two children, one has asked for her name to be changed the other has my last name. two different issues, you are pretty quick to be smart.
Edit free of charge. ;)
Perhaps if you were as smart as Silver you would not have made such poor choices that have harmed your children. :(

RR218

Why are you so quick to say it was my poor decision. The father's were the ones who chose drugs over there children. i'm the one doing what is right for them.

RR218

The accident was his fault, he was joy riding and through himself off the four wheeler at high speed.

Just Blue

Why are you so quick to say it was my poor decision. The father's were the ones who chose drugs over there children. i'm the one doing what is right for them.
Because YOU are the one to choose these druggies as fathers for your children. If you were "doing what is right" you would not have sex/associate with scum.

Just Blue

The accident was his fault, he was joy riding and through himself off the four wheeler at high speed.
He made the decision to "toss himself" off the vehicle? Or he had an accident? Were you there to observe?

BTW. The word is "threw".

Last edited:

2Mistakes

Because YOU are the one to choose these druggies as fathers for your children. If you were "doing what is right" you would not have sex/associate with scum.
Wanna takes bets on that the response to that is going to be, "but he wasn't that way until after I did the deed with him." :rolleyes:

2Mistakes

He made the decision to "toss himself" off the vehicle? Or he had an accident? Were you there to observe?
I think it's emtirely possible that dad could be successful at getting a downward modification due to his diability. He's not willfully in contempt. He can't work because of his diability.

Not saying it's a sure thing by any means, but judges have a lot of discretion.

RR218

Neither of the dads were doing drugs when I started dating them.
I found out about the drugs and b.s. they were doing and left the scum for the children to be raised right. I am now with a man that loves both of them and no drugs or b.s. involved. I'm doing what is best for the kids.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">