• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Mother of child died; child is 17 in foster care

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Black

What is the name of your state? New York
Hello, my husband has was ordered to pay child support in court. The mother of his daughter died in December 2006. His daughter is 17 years old and is living in a foster home; she will be 18 and on her own in November 2007. My husband's license was suspended for not making payments on time. My husband would like to know if he should still pay the support, who does it go to and what will happen when she leaves foster care in November (she definately is living the foster home in November). Thank you very much.

Zephyr

it goes to the state to pay for her care, and yes he pays until a court tells him he doesn't...why didn't she come to live with him upon mom's passing?

CJane

Child support goes to age 21 in NY. It will still be owed after the child leaves foster care.

CJane

Because the big issue is the money not the custody.
How DARE you! You don't know these people, you don't know their situation, you have NO IDEA what this drug addicted wh*re of a woman put the poor man through until the day she died! He had NO CHANCE of getting custody. None. And why should he have to pay CS until 21 when the child will be an adult? It's not fair! He has another family to support!

You should be ashamed.

:rolleyes:

Ohiogal

Queen Bee
How DARE you! You don't know these people, you don't know their situation, you have NO IDEA what this drug addicted wh*re of a woman put the poor man through until the day she died! He had NO CHANCE of getting custody. None. And why should he have to pay CS until 21 when the child will be an adult? It's not fair! He has another family to support!

You should be ashamed.

Hey Cjane dear... Bite me! ;)

Black

it goes to the state to pay for her care, and yes he pays until a court tells him he doesn't...why didn't she come to live with him upon mom's passing?
My husband's daugher is 17 years old and does not want to leave the city to live in country and since my husband and her mom did not get along he did not want to push the girl into doing something she does not want to do. As well as hermom told her it was my fault that her dad was not married to her mom so my husband's daughter hates me. My next question is can he petition the court to get his drivers license back so that he can find more substantial work?

Black

Why hasn't dad filed for custody?
My husband and I live in the country and his daughter lives in the city. She refuses to leave the city and threathen to run away and even get pregnant to prevent her from living in a small "white" town with "nothing to do". She will be 18 years old in 3 months.

Zephyr

so he has been, or is in arrears far enough to lose his license? yes he can petition to have his license reinstated, once his arrears are paid

Black

Because the big issue is the money not the custody.
If the big issue is the money than he should not have to pay if the money is no longer going to her mom (who passed away). I agree with him paying while she is in foster care, but there is already a plan (by the city) in place which will place her in an apartment because she must leave foster care when she turns 18 years old (in 3 months). If he continues to pay (past her 18th birthday), his daughter does not get the money. The last time I checked, child support is suppose to support the child not sit in the city's bank account collect interest for the CEO'S of the Human Resourse Department of NYC. He also inquire about the money being forward to his daughter after November 2007 (when she turns 18) and her case worker's supervisor told him, his daughter can not get the money because she is not the person that brought the case against him nor can she petition the court to receive the money.

Ohiogal

Queen Bee
Mom's estate would receive the money if that is who he is still paying. Mom's estate is ENTITLED to the arrearages.

Just Blue

If the big issue is the money than he should not have to pay if the money is no longer going to her mom (who passed away). I agree with him paying while she is in foster care, but there is already a plan (by the city) in place which will place her in an apartment because she must leave foster care when she turns 18 years old (in 3 months). If he continues to pay (past her 18th birthday), his daughter does not get the money. The last time I checked, child support is suppose to support the child not sit in the city's bank account collect interest for the CEO'S of the Human Resourse Department of NYC. He also inquire about the money being forward to his daughter after November 2007 (when she turns 18) and her case worker's supervisor told him, his daughter can not get the money because she is not the person that brought the case against him nor can she petition the court to receive the money.
There is no such thing as a CEO of a State Agency.

P

PamiToni

You should be ashamed.

LOL Cry me a river. Ohiogal is right!

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">