• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Potential Father's rights??

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Status
Not open for further replies.

KM6764

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? -- New York

My brother in law has recently found out his ex-girlfriend is pregnant, and that he and one other man could potentially be the father. The other man has told her that if the child is his, he will pursue full custody, as she is fairly irresponsible as an adult and cannot care for a child. However, that is not what she wants, so she has convinced my brother in law that he is "probably" the father, because he would not take the child from her. He has been trying to get her to cooperate in a DNA test and she refuses. He also told me DNA tests are very expensive and he cannot afford one alone. My question is, what rights does my brother in law have as a 'potential' father to this child? And what rights does he have to know whether or not he is the biological father? What actions should he be taking right now and in the future when the baby is born, also regarding the birth certificate? --Thank you!

Just Blue

My brother in law has recently found out his ex-girlfriend is pregnant, and that he and one other man could potentially be the father. The other man has told her that if the child is his, he will pursue full custody, as she is fairly irresponsible as an adult and cannot care for a child. However, that is not what she wants, so she has convinced my brother in law that he is "probably" the father, because he would not take the child from her. He has been trying to get her to cooperate in a DNA test and she refuses. He also told me DNA tests are very expensive and he cannot afford one alone. My question is, what rights does my brother in law have as a 'potential' father to this child? And what rights does he have to know whether or not he is the biological father? What actions should he be taking right now and in the future when the baby is born, also regarding the birth certificate? --Thank you!
BIL Should ask his own legal questions here...If, in fact, he wants it posted on the net.

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney

This really is a nunya situation. Also, there is no baby yet.

Proserpina

He didn't think of filing to establish paternity? Seriously?

That's what he needs to do, once the child is actually born.

Until there's a live birth, he'll just have to wait.

KM6764

BIL Should ask his own legal questions here...If, in fact, he wants it posted on the net.
He's been asking me to do research for him, he does not have internet access often, and everywhere I look I cannot find any information related to his situation.

Just Blue

He's been asking me to do research for him, he does not have internet access often, and everywhere I look I cannot find any information related to his situation.
sigh...Asking for "research" does not = Posting on the net. :)

KM6764

He didn't think of filing to establish paternity? Seriously?

That's what he needs to do, once the child is actually born.

Until there's a live birth, he'll just have to wait.
That's why I ask what he should do about a birth certificate. I do not know what legalities are attached to his name being on it, or him signing it, if he is or isn't the father. We're trying to sort things out before the baby is born, I feel that it'd be best the child had a father before coming into the world, instead of two men not knowing who is or isn't.

Proserpina

That's why I ask what he should do about a birth certificate. I do not know what legalities are attached to his name being on it, or him signing it, if he is or isn't the father. We're trying to sort things out before the baby is born, I feel that it'd be best the child had a father before coming into the world, instead of two men not knowing who is or isn't.
Well, how you feel matters not.

The only way to accomplish what you'd prefer, is if the parents are married.

The court will not order pre-natal DNA testing, although apparently some states will do this as an extra bonus if Mom has an amniocentesis.

Look. Your whatever he is needs to man up. If he can't get to the nearest library and/or find out info himself, he's going to get screwed 16 ways from Sunday when it comes to custody and visitation. And let's be blunt here - relatives don't get a say in anything concerning the child.

Silverplum

Well, what you have learned so far is that your wishes and opinion are of no matter, legally; that your BIL should be handling his own legal business; that Google works just fine today if you try; that there's nothing BIL can or should do until there is a live birth; and that we are a bunch of volunteers.

Last edited by a moderator:

KM6764

Well, what you have learned so far is that your wishes and opinion are of no matter, legally; that your BIL should be handling his own legal business; that Google works just fine today if you try; that there's nothing BIL can or should do until there is a live birth; and that we are a bunch of volunteers .
Well I'm sorry if I say you're volunteer work here has done nothing but make me feel attacked. Thank you for your time.

I'mTheFather

Had you followed through on the link, you would have gotten this:

https://www.google.com/search?btnG=1&pws=0&q=establishing+paternity+in+new+york+state&gws_rd=ssl

The first link after the search is this:

https://www.childsupport.ny.gov/dcse/paternity_establishment.html

The second link is also helpful:

https://www.nycourts.gov/courts/nyc/family/faqs_paternity.shtml

Really isn't so difficult.

KM6764

If the baby is his he wants to pursue being the father and staying with the mother. If the child is not his, the other man will be trying for full custody. Neither of these men involved are cowarding out of this situation, mistakes were obviously made but they are trying to fix them with little to no cooperation of the mother. And no, the link does not work, it sends me to an ad to buy a google ap.

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
If the baby is his he wants to pursue being the father and staying with the mother. If the child is not his, the other man will be trying for full custody. Neither of these men involved are cowarding out of this situation, mistakes were obviously made but they are trying to fix them with little to no cooperation of the mother. And no, the link does not work, it sends me to an ad to buy a google ap.
There are none so blind as he who does not see...

You're a waste of time because you won't listen when you don't agree with what you're hearing.

KM6764

There are none so blind as he who does not see...

You're a waste of time because you won't listen when you don't agree with what you're hearing.
Agree with what I'm hearing? Are you kidding me? I asked at least three questions and I'm literally getting nowhere beside a bunch grown adults slamming me with sarcastic and rude comments.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">