• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Won a full scholarship to study abroad! ..but lingering civil suit!

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

dylanh724

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Hawaii

A "bully" student housing unit in Hawaii sued me for defamation over 2 years ago for a Facebook blog/review (tasteful) which you guys helped me out before with some advice (Thanks guys!).

The case has been idle for 1.5 years and the blog has not been updated for over 2 years. They now know I won a scholarship to study abroad in Taiwan for 1 year (Aug this year to Aug 2014). Surely they will get me on default as soon as they see my address is out of the country. What should I do? If it helps, they also haven't even filed a pretrial statement after all this time.

I read that you can write a letter to the judge (apparently not Hawaii.. which I just found out AFTER I sent my letter) to ask for a procedural dismissal to avoid having to file a motion since it's been over 1 (1.5, actually) year of inactivity. They responded saying that no action will be taken (whew) against me, BUT the letter will be forwarded to the plaintiff. That's how they now know about my scholarship and moving to Taiwan. They wouldnt have appealed a motion to dismiss before knowing this, but now.. surely just waiting for me to move..

P.S. -- what happens if I default on a civil suit if I have no money and no assets? I have.... negative $25k of student loans and.. a bicycle. I'll have no job in Taiwan and it's a Taiwanese government scholarship, not USA. Not sure if this info helps.

P.S.S - Can I have a "proxy" show up to court for me if I need to? Is there a way to push/delay any court dates if they make one to hold off until I return home? Can I have a Taiwanese mailing address in a US civil suit?

Thanks everyone. This is such an anchor.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">