• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

I feel violated

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Other than being (justifiably) upset at what happened, what actual damages have you suffered as a direct result of this?

I feel violated and disrespected which affects my emotions. So my emotions have been damaged. We forget that words can harm someone just as much as physical abuse or property damage. are hearts can be damaged this could have been the straw that broke the camels back.. No one knows what I am going through already then to add ignorant comments from a bank teller..

Silverplum

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Arizona

Is there anything I can do if I was discriminated and my privacy was violated at my federal credit union. The teller said some racist inappropriate terms to me as well as giving me a receipt with all of my fast food purchases and telling me that I spend to much on eating out. I went to the bank to deposit some money and I end up being called a ****** and getting advice on where not to spend my money. I never asked her to look into my purchases. I feel very violated but I don't know what to do. Please offer some advice.. Thank you so much :)
And what happened when you marched straight to another teller and asked to speak to the management?

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
No damages, no case.

But if you don't believe us, please feel free to tell your story to as many lawyers as you like. If they jump up and down and agree to take it on contingency, you're going places. If they want a retainer up front, it means you've got nothing - they don't believe you'll get anything, or at least not enough to pay them.

The same applies if they tell you something on the order of, "Yes, you may well have a valid case but we're too busy to take it on right now - try another firm." THAT is code for, "You've got nothing and you're wasting my time; get out of my office and don't make me call Security".

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
I can remember a time when folks would have walked away grumbling about how much of a jerk the teller was...then they would have told their story to anyone that would listen...after a few weeks, everyone would have a big laugh.

Now it's "My feelings are hurt, I want to sue!"

:mad::rolleyes::(

Just Blue

I can remember a time when folks would have walked away grumbling about how much of a jerk the teller was...then they would have told their story to anyone that would listen...after a few weeks, everyone would have a big laugh.

Now it's "My feelings are hurt, I want to sue!"

:mad::rolleyes::(
If I sued every time someone hurt my feelings...I would have a personal secretary typing this post. :cool:

LdiJ

You haven't mentioned being the victim of any form of discrimination...
He/she did say that the teller said some racially inappropriate things...however, we do not know what those things were, so we really do not know if they were really racist or he/she is overly sensitive.

I had a client accuse me of being racist once because I stated that he could not claim EIC because his wife had an ITIN number rather than an SSN, and therefore they did not qualify for EIC. That one really floored me.

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
He/she did say that the teller said some racially inappropriate things...however, we do not know what those things were, so we really do not know if they were really racist or he/she is overly sensitive.

I had a client accuse me of being racist once because I stated that he could not claim EIC because his wife had an ITIN number rather than an SSN, and therefore they did not qualify for EIC. That one really floored me.

The reason I posted what I did is that, while rude/racist things may have been said, it doesn't appear that any discriminatory actions were taken against the OP.

In a nutshell, racism is a belief while discrimination is an action. One can be racist without being discriminatory.

The lady seen a 30 something year old black woman with a beautifully groomed afro and started talking in the third party about how some people called blacks pickaninnys and cotton pickers. I was like wow that crazy it caught me off guard and I really didn't know how to respond. Then she proceeds to check my spending habits and tell me how to spend my money. So I don't think i was being overly sensitive.

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
No one is saying you are wrong to be upset. But everything that is upsetting is not grounds for a lawsuit.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">