• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Racial vilification?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

windchime

Florida
Is this racial vilification?

An article in the TC Palm newspaper has myself and a number of others upset over the comment made buy this person:
Barbara Slack, co-organizer of the Treasure Coast Tea Party/Activist

Title: City of dreams? Port St. Lucie full of problems

Opening paragraph: Port St. Lucie is a city of dreams if you are rich, white and willing to snitch on your neighbors to code enforcement, which has an ordinance for just about everything — or will create one or change one to fit its hunger for revenue. City of Dreams for some; City of Nightmares for others.

This city is full of diversity. Every 10 houses on one block is of a different race. Yet this woman has named White people as the problem, because a White neighbor called code enforcement on their Hispanic neighbor for breaking the city code.

Any opinions as to filing a complaint about this remark?What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?

TinkerBelleLuvr

What's your point? What is your legal questions?

Oh, I read that paper every day. We all know it is a bit slanted. I actually do know the editor.

csi7

This is an opinion, not a statement. It is covered by the Bill of Rights.

If the person wanted to know the facts, they could request an inquiry be done to see how many complaints are filed in the code enforcement office each year.

That still would not answer your question unless there is a spot on the form to identify race.

TinkerBelleLuvr

Here's the article:

http://www.tcpalm.com/news/2011/jul/16/barbara-slack-city-of-dreams-port-st-lucie-full/?partner=popular

It was an OPINION of someone which was printed in the paper. I suggest that you go back and read the Bill of Rights.

http://www.archives.gov/exhibits/charters/bill_of_rights_transcript.html

windchime

I am not sure if I understand the difference between opinion and statement.
When a comment is made on one of these articles, and it has a racial remark in it the paper will not post it. So isn't that someones opinion?

It seems to me that Freedom of Speech is not meant for the White person.

What would happen if I wrote an opinion stating Black people reduce property values? Or better yet if I use the "N" word.

I am sick of everyone playing the race card, and claiming it's all Whitey's fault.

If this Hispanic lady wasn't breaking the city code there wouldn't be a problem, but why blame it on the white people?

Last edited:

windchime

NO! Quite the opposite. I am the one being bullied, and I have never said a word to code enforcement because even though they have over whelmed their property with chickens, have had their dogs dig holes along my fence to get into to my yard a number of times, keep me up all night with the barking and don't speak a word of English, I still smile and say hello. Which is why I have taken offense over this article.

windchime

What would happen if I just changed two words in that first line:

Port St. Lucie is a city of dreams if you are POOR, BLACK and willing to snitch on your neighbors to code enforcement

OHRoadwarrior

What would happen if I just changed two words in that first line:

Port St. Lucie is a city of dreams if you are POOR, BLACK and willing to snitch on your neighbors to code enforcement
Then the black neighbor that snitched on the Hispanic would feel accused of being racist and be here complaining also.

Last edited:

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">