• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Fee Agreement Contract Dispute

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Wisconsin.

BACKGROUND:
I hired an attorney to assist me in obtaining the best possible award/settlement from my insurance company resulting from an auto accident where the other driver was at fault, but uninsured. The applicable coverage that applies is uninsured motorist coverage (but only for bodily injury and pain & suffering - not property damage).

The attorney suggested that given the injuries sustained and medical bills incurred, a reasonable settlement amount to expect was $70k to be received within about 6-9 months after the auto collision, but he could not guarantee any amount. It is now almost 2 years later and no money has been paid out. The attorney reduced his estimate recently and said he thinks he can only get $25k and stated that if he could not get the insurance company to settle for that amount, it would be worth going to trial. The insurance company has offered $16k and will not go any higher. After medical bills and attorney fees, this leaves approximately nothing left over. My attorney has recommended going to trial and I concur with his recommendation.

PROBLEM
The problem is that the attorney is requesting a $10,000 up-front retainer from me to cover court costs, but the fee agreement I have with the attorney states it is a contingency basis only where the attorney gets 33.33% of the proceeds. Furthermore, I recently learned that the attorney had not even requested a police report of the collision and is not aware of the status of the other driver's citations. While I'm not sure having this information is critical to my case, at the very least I would think a competent attorney should at least have something as simple as this on file.

In response, I informed the attorney that I did not want to accept the settlement offer and that he should proceed to go to trial by filing a lawsuit. I also told him that the fee agreement nowhere states a requirement for me to pay any money upfront, let alone $10k, and therefore his request for a retainer is denied. The attorney responded by saying my only option is to give him the $10k or accept the settlement.

QUESTIONS FOR THIS FORUM:
1. Neither of the options provided by the attorney are acceptable to me. What would you do if you were me in this situation?

2. Should I terminate representation?

3. If I terminate representation, what amounts am I actually supposed to pay? Would it be just 1/3 of whatever settlement arrangement I end up getting?

4. The agreement says "No hard costs will be extended beyond the available funds in the Client's trust account." What does this exactly mean? I have no available funds in a trust account. So, does this mean that I am not responsible for any costs whatsoever?

APPLICABLE PORTIONS OF THE FEE AGREEMENT ARE PASTED BELOW:

"Attorneys will provide competent representation."

"Once employed, Attorneys will act with reasonable diligence and promptness, as well as use their best efforts on behalf of Client."

"Attorneys will abide by Client's decision concerning the objectives of representation, including whether or not to accept an offer of settlement, and will endeavor to explain any matter to the extent reasonably necessary to permit the client to make informed decisions regarding representation."

"The attorneys' fee for legal representation in any case arising from these occurrences will be based on a contingency fee of 33.33% of the awarded judgment. The XYZ Law Firm is hereby given a lien for said amount pursuant to �757.36, Stats."

"If representation is terminated by Client prior to judgment at trial or arbitration or before a settlement is reached the following hourly fees will be applied for all work. $200/hr for in-office work, $300/hr for out-of-office work, and $100/hr for travel"

"In representing you, all of the costs and expenses of the claim or lawsuit will be paid by Client. This would include the cost of investigation, filing fees, postage, the costs of reproductions out of Attorneys' office, long distance telephone calls, collect calls, travel expenses, obtaining records (tax returns, pay stubs, deeds, abstracts, bank account statements, checks, etc.), payments to experts who testify in your case, deposition transcripts, pro hac vice fees, and other costs and expenses incurred in your case. No hard costs will be extended beyond the available funds in the Client's trust account. All costs must be paid within 15 days of billing or as otherwise agreed in writing. Any costs not paid within 15 days will be subject to an interest rate of 1.5 percent, compounded monthly."

"There is no prepaid legal fee for this agreement. Attorneys will keep track of their time in 1/4 hour time intervals. Client agrees to pay Attorneys within 15 days of billing for any fees or costs incurred, or according to other written arrangements. Any fees or costs not paid within 15 days will be subject to an interest rate of 1.5 percent, compounded monthly. Client should review each billing statement promptly and address any objection or error in a timely manner. The client will not be billed for time spent to explain or correct a billing statement. If an appropriately detailed written estimate is submitted to Client as to future costs for Attorneys' representation or a portion of the contemplated services (i.e., relative to specific steps recommended by the counsel in the estimate) and, without objection from Client, Attorneys then performs the contemplated services, all such services are preemptively reasonable and necessary, as well as to be deemed pursuant to Client's direction. In an appropriate case, Client may pursue contribution to his or her fees and costs from the other party. Client understands and agrees that if Client fails to pay any fee or any cost within the time permitted by this agreement, or to make additional deposits into trust as deemed necessary, Attorneys may withdraw at his discretion from further representation of client. Attorneys' right to withdraw shall not be waived by working with Client or waiting for fees or costs to be paid. Client further understands and agrees that if Attorneys, in his discretion, believes that it is no longer legally tenable or ethical to represent Client, Attorneys may withdraw from further representation or as otherwise provided in this Agreement."

"The attorney client relationship is regulated by the Illinois Rules of Professional Conduct (Article VIII of the Illinois Supreme Court Rules) or Wisconsin Rules of Professional Conduct for Attorneys, (Chapter 20 of the Wisconsin Supreme Court Rules) and any dispute shall be reviewed under the terms of such Rules. Any dispute regarding fees billed shall be resolved in fee arbitration."

Proserpina

You're always free to seek a second opinion from other attorneys.

With that said, it looks like your attorney is about to dump you - and he's going to do so legally because he's essentially included a CYA clause.

Client further understands and agrees that if Attorneys, in his discretion, believes that it is no longer legally tenable or ethical to represent Client, Attorneys may withdraw from further representation or as otherwise provided in this Agreement."

You're always free to seek a second opinion from other attorneys.

With that said, it looks like your attorney is about to dump you - and he's going to do so legally because he's essentially included a CYA clause.
What I've been running into is that other attorney's refuse to touch this and they cite "ethical concerns." Either way, it looks like we are at an impasse. So, what happens next? What is my liability to the attorney and what is the attorney's liability to me?

Proserpina

What I've been running into is that other attorney's refuse to touch this and they cite "ethical concerns." Either way, it looks like we are at an impasse. So, what happens next? What is my liability to the attorney and what is the attorney's liability to me?

I'm thinking that your case isn't as winnable as it initially seemed.

The attorneys really don't gain from advising you to settle for something lower than your initial hopes (if anything, the fact that your attorney wants you to settle is perhaps the most ethical thing s/he can do - let's face it, a lower settlement means a lower pay off for the attorney).

If it were me, I'd think very seriously about taking their advice. YMMV though.

LdiJ

Let me make sure that I understand...

The at fault driver was NOT insured.

The insurance company who is offering 16k is YOUR insurance company? Correct? If so, going to trial or not, you are not going to get more than the coverage you have paid for under your policy in uninsured coverage.

Any other damages you would go for would be against the actual driver, and then it would only be worth it if the driver has assets that can be seized. An award of 70k is worthless of the at fault driver has no assets. Your attorney may be asking for 10k up front because your attorney realizes that there would be no hope of collecting a judgment.

I'm thinking that your case isn't as winnable as it initially seemed.

The attorneys really don't gain from advising you to settle for something lower than your initial hopes (if anything, the fact that your attorney wants you to settle is perhaps the most ethical thing s/he can do - let's face it, a lower settlement means a lower pay off for the attorney).

If it were me, I'd think very seriously about taking their advice. YMMV though.
I'm sure my case is winnable as evidenced by the insurance company's monetary offer. They wouldn't be offering to settle if they weren't liable to pay. The only thing in dispute is the amount. My attorney DOES NOT want me to settle, he suggested going to trial. The problem is that my fee agreement states it is based on a contingency and he is now asking for a retainer to cover upfront costs. Assuming I can, I'd prefer to fire this guy and find some other attorney that will take the case on a contingency. I'm worried about my liability to the attorney I have now.

Let me make sure that I understand...

The at fault driver was NOT insured.

The insurance company who is offering 16k is YOUR insurance company? Correct? If so, going to trial or not, you are not going to get more than the coverage you have paid for under your policy in uninsured coverage.

Any other damages you would go for would be against the actual driver, and then it would only be worth it if the driver has assets that can be seized. An award of 70k is worthless of the at fault driver has no assets. Your attorney may be asking for 10k up front because your attorney realizes that there would be no hope of collecting a judgment.
Correct - the other driver was not insured and the insurance company offering the money is mine. I am covered up to $200k, so this is not an issue of being unable to collect.

Dave1952

If I follow this, your attorney will be compensated by 1/3 of the final award but you are responsible for a lot of the costs and fees. There's supposed to be a fund set up to pay the costs and fees. Is your attorney telling you that your fund does not currently have enough cash to bankroll a civil suit? Is he guesstimating that you'll need $10k up front to sue?

If I follow this, your attorney will be compensated by 1/3 of the final award but you are responsible for a lot of the costs and fees. There's supposed to be a fund set up to pay the costs and fees. Is your attorney telling you that your fund does not currently have enough cash to bankroll a civil suit? Is he guesstimating that you'll need $10k up front to sue?
Yes, he is saying that he needs $10,000 to cover costs related to filing a lawsuit. The fund mentioned in the fee agreement with the attorney currently has a $0 balance and it always has had a $0 balance. There is no language in the fee agreement that requires me to add any of my own money into this trust account.

My understanding is that the final award would go into the trust account and from there, his fees would be paid, his costs would be reimbursed, and the medical provider costs would be paid. After all those deductions, I'd get whatever was left over.

OHRoadwarrior

This sounds like a normal situation based on the accidents I have been hit in. You have not indicated whether you have other than soft tissue injuries, directly linkable to the accident. If you have nothing else, at this point you should be looking to work your lawyer over to amend the contract to give you something or not sign. If you are married, let your spouse be the heavy.

This sounds like a normal situation based on the accidents I have been hit in. You have not indicated whether you have other than soft tissue injuries, directly linkable to the accident. If you have nothing else, at this point you should be looking to work your lawyer over to amend the contract to give you something or not sign. If you are married, let your spouse be the heavy.
My wife had a broken collar bone and she had to be out of work for several months per doctors orders. So, what amendment to the lawyer's fee agreement do you suggest?

Ohiogal

Queen Bee
Yes, he is saying that he needs $10,000 to cover costs related to filing a lawsuit. The fund mentioned in the fee agreement with the attorney currently has a $0 balance and it always has had a $0 balance. There is no language in the fee agreement that requires me to add any of my own money into this trust account.

My understanding is that the final award would go into the trust account and from there, his fees would be paid, his costs would be reimbursed, and the medical provider costs would be paid. After all those deductions, I'd get whatever was left over.
Yes there is language that requires you to add your own money. Trials cost money -- experts will be necessary to testify regarding your injuries, treatment and pain and suffering as well as depositions may be need to be taken of insurance company employees. The attorney is NOT going to extend those costs. Those are hard costs:

"In representing you, all of the costs and expenses of the claim or lawsuit will be paid by Client. This would include the cost of investigation, filing fees, postage, the costs of reproductions out of Attorneys' office, long distance telephone calls, collect calls, travel expenses, obtaining records (tax returns, pay stubs, deeds, abstracts, bank account statements, checks, etc.), payments to experts who testify in your case, deposition transcripts, pro hac vice fees, and other costs and expenses incurred in your case. No hard costs will be extended beyond the available funds in the Client's trust account. All costs must be paid within 15 days of billing or as otherwise agreed in writing. Any costs not paid within 15 days will be subject to an interest rate of 1.5 percent, compounded monthly."
You are responsible for paying those costs per the above. If you nothing in the IOLTA account, then you have no money to pay costs. The 10k is necessary to pay costs.

Ohiogal

Queen Bee
My wife had a broken collar bone and she had to be out of work for several months per doctors orders. So, what amendment to the lawyer's fee agreement do you suggest?
The lawyer is NOT going to amend the fee agreement. He doesn't have to do so. You however will have to pay him $200 an hour for the work he has done.

OHRoadwarrior

A $10k up front payment is not unusual from my experience. It is to cover additional fees, professional testimony expenses and things like that. No one can advise you whether to roll the dice on court. It depends on 2 things mainly. Is there enough insurance to pay a judgment worth pursuing and what could you get. A Google of "insurance settlement for broken collar bone" brought up a lawyer claim of award for 100k, policy max. You can pursue other such links.

LdiJ

I am totally confused....who hires an attorney to sue their own insurance company?...at least in a situation like this one?

When you have uninsured motorist coverage it covers direct costs. It covers damages to your vehicle, a temporary rental car and medical costs. I have never seen uninsured motorist coverage that covers things like lost wages and other indirect costs. Am I just way out of the loop here? Isn't this guy going to get cancelled by his insurance company as soon as this is over?

Ohiogal

Queen Bee
I am totally confused....who hires an attorney to sue their own insurance company?...at least in a situation like this one?

When you have uninsured motorist coverage it covers direct costs. It covers damages to your vehicle, a temporary rental car and medical costs. I have never seen uninsured motorist coverage that covers things like lost wages and other indirect costs. Am I just way out of the loop here? Isn't this guy going to get cancelled by his insurance company as soon as this is over?
Most likely he will not have insurance through this company at that time.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">