• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Incomplete inspection on vehicle purchase

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

wyett717

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? MT

We purchased a used vehicle (2003 GMC) last week. During the sale, the salesman mentiond that each traded-in vehicle undergoes a 101-point inspection before being displayed on their lot.

The evening that we bought the car, we noticed that the instrument panel has two light bulbs burned out, so two of the gauges are not visible during night driving.

We brought the vehicle in today to get the bulbs fixed, and they notified us that the whole cluster needs to be replaced at our expense ($500). Since the instrument panel lights are included on the 101-point inspection (and were overlooked by admission of the service technician), do you think they are responsible for replacing this?

BL

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? MT

We purchased a used vehicle (2003 GMC) last week. During the sale, the salesman mentiond that each traded-in vehicle undergoes a 101-point inspection before being displayed on their lot.

The evening that we bought the car, we noticed that the instrument panel has two light bulbs burned out, so two of the gauges are not visible during night driving.

We brought the vehicle in today to get the bulbs fixed, and they notified us that the whole cluster needs to be replaced at our expense ($500). Since the instrument panel lights are included on the 101-point inspection (and were overlooked by admission of the service technician), do you think they are responsible for replacing this?
Short answer , yes I think so.

Contact your local Office of Attorney General to file a complaint ,if they insist on payment .

Last edited:

racer72

This would be a warranty issue. If you bought the vehicle "as-is", you pay for the repair. The so called 101 point inspection is strictly a sales gimmick, it is not a warranty or legal proof that the everything in the vehicle works.

wyett717

This would be a warranty issue. If you bought the vehicle "as-is", you pay for the repair. The so called 101 point inspection is strictly a sales gimmick, it is not a warranty or legal proof that the everything in the vehicle works.
Understandable, but when they say they do this inspection to insure everything is in proper working order, isn't it deceptive to sell the vehicle when things are in fact not working?

ShyCat

Understandable, but when they say they do this inspection to insure everything is in proper working order, isn't it deceptive to sell the vehicle when things are in fact not working?
I don't think it's deceptive when you yourself can/should notice the problem upon inspecting and test-driving the vehicle. And it's certainly not deceptive when it is quite reasonable to suppose that the problem occurred after the inspection. Things work one minute and suddenly... they don't.

wyett717

I don't think it's deceptive when you yourself can/should notice the problem upon inspecting and test-driving the vehicle. And it's certainly not deceptive when it is quite reasonable to suppose that the problem occurred after the inspection. Things work one minute and suddenly... they don't.
I can't think of any possible way to check lights that only work at night when you purchase a car during the day.

I wonder which two gages and if it effects drivability ?
It is oil pressure and temperature gauges. Two things we definately want to see when traveling cross-country at night in two weeks.

When the salesman assures you the vehicle is mechanically and electrically sound, you trust his word. Had we been able to see this ourselves, it would've been an instant deal-breaker.

Last edited:

wyett717

Sure, you turn on your lights. I can see the difference in my dashboard lights even in the daytime.
Good for you. My dash lights simply aren't visible when the car is full of sunshine, I guess.

The dealership offered to pay 50% since they didn't check it. So they say they were wrong, but I guess we'll take what we get and use a different car dealer next time. Thanks!

wyett717

Maybe you need to also inspect the vehicle at night?
Perhaps they should. The service tech said it's hard for them to inspect the lights during the daytime as well. Logic would suggest they turn off the light in the indoor shop, but common sense escapes many people.

BL

Perhaps they should. The service tech said it's hard for them to inspect the lights during the daytime as well. Logic would suggest they turn off the light in the indoor shop, but common sense escapes many people.
What , and have an employee trip on something and break his/her noggin ?

wyett717

All I'm saying is that since dash/instrument lights are on their list of parts to inspect, I'm surprised that they don't have a proper method of checking them.

wyett717

The dealer has, after all, decided to cover the cost of getting the cluster replaced. Thank you all for your input.

BL

The dealer has, after all, decided to cover the cost of getting the cluster replaced. Thank you all for your input.
Would you care to fill in the forum on how that decision came about , possibly helping out someone who stumbles upon this thread ?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">