• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Paint or stain codes proprietary?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

nasdaqsam

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? NY

Can a company keep their paint or stain codes proprietary? We purchased garage doors and had them stained by the company. Now we are in need of repairing the doors stain but the company will not provide the codes or offer the stain for purchase so we may make the repair to match. We have tried color matching but because of the nature of these multi-application process''s with out all the info it is all but impossible to match.

These doors are only a few weeks old and very expensive. I would think a consumer would have the right to the color that was applied so a repair canbe made or at least provide the stain and instructions. It makes no sense that if they are damged even slightly you either have to live with them or replace them. Yes? No?

Thank you in advance.

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? NY

Can a company keep their paint or stain codes proprietary? We purchased garage doors and had them stained by the company. Now we are in need of repairing the doors stain but the company will not provide the codes or offer the stain for purchase so we may make the repair to match. We have tried color matching but because of the nature of these multi-application process''s with out all the info it is all but impossible to match.

These doors are only a few weeks old and very expensive. I would think a consumer would have the right to the color that was applied so a repair canbe made or at least provide the stain and instructions. It makes no sense that if they are damged even slightly you either have to live with them or replace them. Yes? No?

Thank you in advance.
Yes.

Offer to pay the original company for the repairs.

nasdaqsam

Yes.

Offer to pay the original company for the repairs.
I have offered that solution telling them I would pay any price to get the stain with in reason. That along with every idea I could think of to remedy the situation. The situatiuon is this. I purchased the garage doors to match my front door. The garage door company buys their fiberglass door skins from the front door company and both advertise this is done so they can be color matched. The advertisement says as much. It leads one to believe they share the color codes or use each other codes but in fact they both use different stains and different process's. The door company will seel thier stain with full instructions for application. The garage door compan acts like their codes are more secret than the launch codes at nasa.

nasdaqsam

The doors are only a few weeks old ?

What kind of warranty do you have ?
The warrantee does not cover accidental damage. But I would also like to match the front door to the garage doors so I need the stain for more than one use.

justalayman

So you misunderstood zigner's statement. He said pay them to repair the damage. You responded that you offered to purchase the stain. The company is not obligated to sell you the stain or explain the process to you. If you want a door to match the garage doors, you will have to figure out how to do it on your own or purchase a finished door from the company that does the matching treatment.

Simply put/ you cannot force the to provide either material, methods, or specifics of their work product unless they are willing to provide it.

nasdaqsam

So you misunderstood zigner's statement. He said pay them to repair the damage. You responded that you offered to purchase the stain. The company is not obligated to sell you the stain or explain the process to you. If you want a door to match the garage doors, you will have to figure out how to do it on your own or purchase a finished door from the company that does the matching treatment.

Simply put/ you cannot force the to provide either material, methods, or specifics of their work product unless they are willing to provide it.
I tried that along with offering to take that panel down, ship it to them and pay for shipping back. No Go. They are just a brick wall. They should stop advertising matching doors. If nothing else it is false advertising. They have a nice little picture of a house with one companies front door with an exact match garage doors. It is very miss leading. Even if I have to figure that out there should be a repair kit so people can repair their doors.

justalayman

Not understanding the part about advertising matching doors. You said they are sold by different companies. If you want a matching door to what you have, you will have to purchase it from the company that offers that. That is apparently a different company the the one you have already made a purchase from.

What I see is you have two different issues but you seem to out it all on the one company so, to start, the door you currently have apparently needs repair. You are saying that company has refused to provide any info as to a process and materials to repair it and they have also refused to repair the damage at all?

If so, have they told you anything about how one would have damage repaired? Are you suggesting they simply tell the customer they have to purchase an entire new door?

FlyingRon

They're not obliged to do anything for you beyond what is covered in the warranty.

If you just want paint, take the smallest thing you can find with the paint color on it to a better paint store (even some home centers) and they will match it.

nasdaqsam

Not understanding the part about advertising matching doors. You said they are sold by different companies. If you want a matching door to what you have, you will have to purchase it from the company that offers that. That is apparently a different company the the one you have already made a purchase from.

What I see is you have two different issues but you seem to out it all on the one company so, to start, the door you currently have apparently needs repair. You are saying that company has refused to provide any info as to a process and materials to repair it and they have also refused to repair the damage at all?

If so, have they told you anything about how one would have damage repaired? Are you suggesting they simply tell the customer they have to purchase an entire new door?
The two companies have a colaberation they formed I thnk back in 2007. People were wanting matching doors but no company actually builds both. In order to grab more market share they came up with; the garage door company buys thier fiberglass door skins off the front door company so that the graining can be matched exactly. It is implied they buy their stain there also so that you can deal with two different companies and buy matching doors. It's there advertisement not mine. I made it perfectly clear to both companies what I was looking for. Neither warned me they use different stains and do not match. The door company is very accomodating. They even came out to the house to see what they could do. Their rep went through every channel to see if they could match the garage door company stain but could not. They even went as far as to send me new door slabs at no charge to try and stain myself to match since thiers will not. But with out the codes and method there really is no way to match them.

The damage issue. Yes I am saying the company has flat out refused any help. Their only advice was to buy stain from the front door company and try mixing it. Thats it.

Zigner

They're not obliged to do anything for you beyond what is covered in the warranty.

If you just want paint, take the smallest thing you can find with the paint color on it to a better paint store (even some home centers) and they will match it.
Good advice - my comment on this:

The last time I took a paint sample for matching, the guy said he'd do his best and apologized profusely for not matching it quite right.

The funny thing is that it was an absolute perfect match. You can't even tell where the old paint stops and the new paint starts...and I was the one that did the re-painting!

nasdaqsam

It cannot be done. These are multi step stained doors. There is a series of stains that have to be applied, wiped off then the next layer be applied. The can be anywhere form a two step process to a ten step. The door company uses a two step. The little info I got from the garage door company is theirs is any were from a 7 to 9 step process. You cannot just go to a paint store and get that kind of match. It does not exist.

justalayman

So why are you upset that the door company can't match the garage door? Aren't they the company claiming to be able to provide a door matched to the garage door?

Or is it that to get matching doors you had to purchase them all at the same time so the two companies could collaborate on the project and provide matching doors from their respective companies?

Something doesn't sound right about the garage door company refusing to repair your existing garage door though. I wonder if somewhere along the line they just grew tired of dealing with you in your attempts to obtain their information and just refuse to do business with you anymore.

nasdaqsam

I really appreciate all the input and advice. As you can see I have exhausted all options at this point. There are indeed two seperate isuues and I still believe there has to be a part of the consumer protection law that would cover despective advertising practices. They clearely sell these doors with the implication that you can deal with two seperate companies and obtain matching doors. Not to mention how would a consumer repair a door if damaged. I know a company can not sell a product such as a car or an engine and not offer parts for that item. The consumer has to have more rights than just throwing them out and starting over. These are $8000 doors not your typical $450 lowes special. Accidents do happen a full replacement is needed when a repair will do.

I am going to contact the consumer protection borrow and see if there is anything I am missing.

Thanks

Zigner

I really appreciate all the input and advice. As you can see I have exhausted all options at this point. There are indeed two seperate isuues and I still believe there has to be a part of the consumer protection law that would cover despective advertising practices. They clearely sell these doors with the implication that you can deal with two seperate companies and obtain matching doors. Not to mention how would a consumer repair a door if damaged. I know a company can not sell a product such as a car or an engine and not offer parts for that item. The consumer has to have more rights than just throwing them out and starting over. These are $8000 doors not your typical $450 lowes special. Accidents do happen a full replacement is needed when a repair will do.

I am going to contact the consumer protection borrow and see if there is anything I am missing.

Thanks
There is nothing deceptive about it. You wanted matching doors and you got matching doors.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">