• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Paint or stain codes proprietary?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

nasdaqsam

so what is the truth? You have never actually stated anything anybody did wrong. Since you claim to be rich, you would make a great target for a defamation suit.

or sue you for many thousands of dollars.

as to the statement from the feds; if you told them what you posted here, they did not tell you that. Nothing you have posted here is in violation of any laws, rules, or requirements of the law.
I sent the guy an email with the advertisement, the info on both company web sites and a picture of the house. They seem to feel differently than you, thankfully. As to sueing me I have not mentioned eithers name and even if I did you are completely wrong. As long as I tell the story exactly as it has happened I can name names and speak my mind as I see fit. I can start a web sight and scream to high heaven it is with in my rights so if you think that is going to frighten me your wrong. Do you think it is illegal? Is it illegal for the woman that started the web sight outing the mistress of their husbands with pictures? Nope it isn't. Tell the truth and there is nothing they can do. BTW I never said I was rich. Go reread it all, never did I say I was rich. You inferred that when you took sides and went right on the defensive side with out merit.

They advertised they sell maching doors. They don't, period. That my friend is deceptive. The comments about they can advertise anything they want is a total crook. Truth in advertising is one of the consumer affairs biggest complaints and the reason they exist.

justalayman

And I did not get what was implied. It was implied the doors would match the front door, they do not, not even close. How do you see that is getting what was implied. And if you all have noticed I have not mentioned either company in any of this post. If I was on a witch hunt I would have. I simply want what I was sold.
but nowhere in this entire thread did you say anything about that being your claim. That is a totally different issue than what you posted here.

Now, if you want to argue the finish was not acceptable, then that can be discussed but that is not your complaint. Yes, if there was an implied or expressed warranty they failed to fulfill, it is a valid complaint. So, where is it you made that claim in this thread?

nasdaqsam

You ,yourself will no get your door cost out of their legal fees.

You seem pretty confident you will be given your stain.

You forgot to add that you are high strung in the list .
BL, I did not start out on high. I started by investigating my options. Making calls, sending emails and having very pleasant conversations with both companies representatives. I have been at this for some time now. It was a very simple request. Can either company provide me with stain codes or the actual stain (I would of course pay for it). I am in a situation that has to be remedied. Short of buying all new doors and throwing these out I have am left with few options. The door company made statements to me that this is a common complaint, even the garage door company admitted this is a common complaint. It was when I received the email from the garage door company that, lets say was less then cordial that I decided it was time for the gloves to come off. They drew first blood not me. This whole situation is really rediculous to begin with. It is a stain code and method. I bought the doors in good faith. I like the doors there is nothing wrong with them except I have one damaged I can not repair and they are just completely different than what I was sold. It is too late to return them they are installed and yes I did damage the one. But shouldn't a company have some responsibility to if not legally than morally to assist a paying customer? At some point it becomes more about what is right and what is wrong. I am simply looking to repair a door and stain my others to match is that such a bad thing? Really?

nasdaqsam

but nowhere in this entire thread did you say anything about that being your claim. That is a totally different issue than what you posted here.

Now, if you want to argue the finish was not acceptable, then that can be discussed but that is not your complaint. Yes, if there was an implied or expressed warranty they failed to fulfill, it is a valid complaint. So, where is it you made that claim in this thread?
The thread started with me trying to get a stain code to repair a damaged door. It was added after that they do not match. I should have led with that but didn't my apologees. But either way all I am looking for is the matching stain for two reasons.

justalayman

I sent the guy an email with the advertisement, the info on both company web sites and a picture of the house. They seem to feel differently than you, thankfully
. As to sueing me I have not mentioned eithers name and even if I did you are completely wrong.
I am referring to this;

If nothing else I will make a lot of noise and I will get my door costs out of their attorney fees. I can write letters, visit builder forums and tell my story all day long as long as I tell the exact truth I will be a thorn in thier side for a while to come
to be a thorn in their side, you would have to identify the company.

As long as I tell the story exactly as it has happened I can name names and speak my mind as I see fit.
Oh, do you really think that? I suggest speaking with an attorney before you take any actions as you suggest.

I can start a web sight and scream to high heaven it is with in my rights so if you think that is going to frighten me your wrong. Do you think it is illegal?
Illegal? no. Unlawful? Could be. Depending on exactly what you say and why, your actions could be the basis for a valid suit on their part, even if it is the truth, at least as you see it.

Is it illegal for the woman that started the web sight outing the mistress of their husbands with pictures? Nope it isn't.
Tell the truth and there is nothing they can do
.WRONG

BTW I never said I was rich. Go reread it all, never did I say I was rich. You inferred that when you took sides and went right on the defensive side with out merit.
then there is an even greater reason to not take foolish actions.

They advertised they sell maching doors. They don't, period.
their doors matched their own doors, right?

see how easy it is to disrupt your claim?

Now, let's quit playing this game;

what, exactly, did they say their doors would match and what exceptions did they attach to that statement?

and then, did you purchase the garage doors first or the other door?

justalayman

The thread started with me trying to get a stain code to repair a damaged door. It was added after that they do not match. I should have led with that but didn't my apologees. But either way all I am looking for is the matching stain for two reasons.
so, is your complaint to them that the product does not meet the specs or you want some stain? If the latter, then quit saying the feds give a damn because they don't. If the first, then quit complaining about them not selling you stain or giving up their process because it is irrelevant.

So, how old are these doors?

did you order the garage doors or the other door first?

when you first noticed they did not match the other door, who did you contact and inform them you wanted doors that matched the other door?

nasdaqsam

I sent the guy an email with the advertisement, the info on both company web sites and a picture of the house. They seem to feel differently than you, thankfully

I am referring to this;

to be a thorn in their side, you would have to identify the company.

Oh, do you really think that? I suggest speaking with an attorney before you take any actions as you suggest.

Illegal? no. Unlawful? Could be. Depending on exactly what you say and why, your actions could be the basis for a valid suit on their part, even if it is the truth, at least as you see it.

Is it illegal for the woman that started the web sight outing the mistress of their husbands with pictures? Nope it isn't. .WRONG

then there is an even greater reason to not take foolish actions.

their doors matched their own doors, right?

see how easy it is to disrupt your claim?

Now, let's quit playing this game;

what, exactly, did they say their doors would match and what exceptions did they attach to that statement?

and then, did you purchase the garage doors first or the other door?
No games. They advertised they have an agreement with the door manufacturer to buy their garage door skins off them so your home can have matching front and garage doors. There is no one else in the industry that offers this. They have a picture of a house with exact matching house and garage doors, my color no less. They imply they use the door companies stain to give and exact match.

The doors were ordered with in days of each other. I have spoken, after the fact to both companies and other than the door skins they have no other business. The colors both companies use are named excatly the same. The samples they show on both companies web sights are exactly the same. And as a matter of fact when I had the original damage issue I asked the garage door rep if I could get the matching stain and technique. He sent the stain order info and instructions from the door companies web sight. Not theirs. Everything leads that they use the door companies stain. I found out later when the door company rep came out and said the garage doors stain was not thiers and nothing they provide would match it. He had samples and all kinds of info but nothing was close. He offered to get me new unfinshed doors so I could match the garage doors. I contacted the garage door company with this info and politely asked if I could get the stain. After some emails back and fourth I was sent the one basically saying it wasn't their problem and to go away.

tranquility

Seriously? Thomas Kinkade was the inovator of light and shadowing. Have you ever seen an original Kinkade that he himself did? Not a reprint, an original? Ok at some point he sold out but that does not mean he did not have talent.

And I did not get what was implied. It was implied the doors would match the front door, they do not, not even close. How do you see that is getting what was implied. And if you all have noticed I have not mentioned either company in any of this post. If I was on a witch hunt I would have. I simply want what I was sold.
Kinkade's innovation in light and shadowing was to pretend light was neither a particle or a wave. Talent is different from artistry.

The failure to mention the companies so we can check out the advertisements is more of a good move on your part because of the way you have stated things could lead to litigation against you. I believe you got what was sold and you now want more. Either that or you want some nebulous thing that keeps shifting according to how your argument is flying.

Without specifics no one can help on what you felt the implied warranty was. Your resolution with the company(s) will be in contract and not in tort. Sue them for breach of contract if you believe you have an implied warranty for what you think you don't have. Anything else is either not going to help or cause you more grief than it is worth.

nasdaqsam

so, is your complaint to them that the product does not meet the specs or you want some stain? If the latter, then quit saying the feds give a damn because they don't. If the first, then quit complaining about them not selling you stain or giving up their process because it is irrelevant.

So, how old are these doors?

did you order the garage doors or the other door first?

when you first noticed they did not match the other door, who did you contact and inform them you wanted doors that matched the other door?
The feds do care about false advertising, at least according to the agent I spoke to. Maybe it will go no where and I was talking to a newby but he did say they take false advertising seriously. Do they? I don't know but I asked and that was the answer.

The doors are approx. 6 to 8 weeks old. But as stated it was not immediately apparent. The front door came in first it was installed and covered up as we were painting the exterior and taping the interior so did not want to get paint all over them. The garage doors came in shortly after and were installed the exterior on that portion was done so no need to cover them. The difference was noticed when we pulled the covering off the front doors. I notified the dealer but he quickly hit a dead end with the manufacturer and gave me the info to contact them directly. I also contacted the door manufacturer at that point. That is when they sent a rep right out. The garage door manufacturer has not at any point been interested in resolvong this.

justalayman

nasdaqsam;3222912]
No games. They advertised they have an agreement with the door manufacturer to buy their garage door skins off them so your home can have matching front and garage doors. There is no one else in the industry that offers this. They have a picture of a house with exact matching house and garage doors, my color no less. They imply they use the door companies stain to give and exact match.
\based on your research apparently not true but not the basis for an action unless there is something unique to the door manufactures product and the product they use is inferior for your purposes.

The doors were ordered with in days of each other. I have spoken, after the fact to both companies and other than the door skins they have no other business. The colors both companies use are named excatly the same. The samples they show on both companies web sights are exactly the same. And as a matter of fact when I had the original damage issue I asked the garage door rep if I could get the matching stain and technique. He sent the stain order info and instructions from the door companies web sight. Not theirs. Everything leads that they use the door companies stain. I found out later when the door company rep came out and said the garage doors stain was not thiers and nothing they provide would match it. He had samples and all kinds of info but nothing was close. He offered to get me new unfinshed doors so I could match the garage doors. I contacted the garage door company with this info and politely asked if I could get the stain. After some emails back and fourth I was sent the one basically saying it wasn't their problem and to go away
so, you answered maybe one of my questions...maybe, so, about all I can suggest is:

if these are brand new, contact the garage door manufacturer and tell them their color does not match the door and you want a replacement that will match the door. If they balk, remind them of the advertisement and their claim. Then see where that goes. I suspect there will be an issue since you damaged the product and as such, they may want money damages or maybe even refuse to accept it. All you can do is try it and see where it goes.

If they aren't brand spanking new, you are SOL.

nasdaqsam

Kinkade's innovation in light and shadowing was to pretend light was neither a particle or a wave. Talent is different from artistry.

The failure to mention the companies so we can check out the advertisements is more of a good move on your part because of the way you have stated things could lead to litigation against you. I believe you got what was sold and you now want more. Either that or you want some nebulous thing that keeps shifting according to how your argument is flying.

Without specifics no one can help on what you felt the implied warranty was. Your resolution with the company(s) will be in contract and not in tort. Sue them for breach of contract if you believe you have an implied warranty for what you think you don't have. Anything else is either not going to help or cause you more grief than it is worth.
Unfortunitely you may be right this is more than likely is a futile attempt at a resolution that will never be solved. In the end if nothing is I am going to have to scrap the garage doors and buy new ones of a completely contrasting color since matching is not possible. They are nice doors and I like the color. It is sad at the very least that the company can not see a buyers perspective and offer a product that would only increase their market share. If absolutely nothing else it is a piss poor way to do business. The door manufacturer on the other hand is a top notch organisation I will continue to do business with. We build quite a few homes a year this is my last set of garage doors from that company no matter the outcome.

justalayman

The doors are approx. 6 to 8 weeks old. But as stated it was not immediately apparent. The front door came in first it was installed and covered up as we were painting the exterior and taping the interior so did not want to get paint all over them. The garage doors came in shortly after and were installed the exterior on that portion was done so no need to cover them. The difference was noticed when we pulled the covering off the front doors. I notified the dealer but he quickly hit a dead end with the manufacturer and gave me the info to contact them directly. I also contacted the door manufacturer at that point. That is when they sent a rep right out. The garage door manufacturer has not at any point been interested in resolvong this.
now you are tossing in a third party (the dealer).

so, who is publishing this advertisement of an exact match to whatever?

Your argument is more likely with the dealer than the manufacturer. Ask them what they are going to do about the lack of color match.

nasdaqsam

now you are tossing in a third party (the dealer).

so, who is publishing this advertisement of an exact match to whatever?

Your argument is more likely with the dealer than the manufacturer. Ask them what they are going to do about the lack of color match.
The advertisement is from the manufacturer not the dealer. I did bring this to the dealer first, he brought it to the manufacturer. My impression and this is soley my impression was that the manufacturer told him to have me contact them directly maybe feeling they could say no with more authority. The dealer has been unresponsive since.

nasdaqsam

nasdaqsam;3222912]\based on your research apparently not true but not the basis for an action unless there is something unique to the door manufactures product and the product they use is inferior for your purposes.

so, you answered maybe one of my questions...maybe, so, about all I can suggest is:

if these are brand new, contact the garage door manufacturer and tell them their color does not match the door and you want a replacement that will match the door. If they balk, remind them of the advertisement and their claim. Then see where that goes. I suspect there will be an issue since you damaged the product and as such, they may want money damages or maybe even refuse to accept it. All you can do is try it and see where it goes.

If they aren't brand spanking new, you are SOL.
This product is unique for sure. It is not inferior other than color so it would not fit that definition. After trying to resolve this politely I did ask them formerly to replace them with the right color and provided the link to thier advertisement. They stated stains will very. And i agree they will but not from a completely different color pallet. Red Mahogany and walnut with a red tint are not matching stains. They never mentioned much about the damage they were focused primarily on the stain they would not be doing anything about. The reply came back quick and in talking to them this is not an isolated incident but more of the nrom they were ready with what seemed to be a well drafted response.

Thanks

justalayman

The advertisement is from the manufacturer not the dealer. I did bring this to the dealer first, he brought it to the manufacturer. My impression and this is soley my impression was that the manufacturer told him to have me contact them directly maybe feeling they could say no with more authority. The dealer has been unresponsive since.
Your feelings don't count and he may have been simply shoving you off because he didn't want to deal with you.

So, go back to the dealer with a hard copy of the ad and go:

they don't match the other door. I need you, as a dealer for XXXXX garage doors, the entity I purchased them from, and a generally nice guy to acquire doors that match my other door as the advertisement I hold in my hand states your doors will.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">