• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Can Anyone Interpret This For Me??

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

TRossD85

Massachusetts General Law Question Here: Can anyone dumb this down for me? I'm very confused:

Chapter 231 Section 103-104

Section 103: If a party elects to bring in any district court any action or other civil proceeding which he might have begun in the superior court, he shall be deemed to have waived a trial by jury and his right of appeal to the superior court, unless within thirty days of commencement of the action or service of a responsive pleading, or within such further time as the court may allow, a plaintiff files a claim to a jury trial in the superior court with the district court and within thirty days after notice of the decision or finding files an entry fee of fifty dollars and bond in accordance with the second paragraph of section one hundred and four; provided, however, that if any claim, counterclaim or cross-claim is asserted against a plaintiff who has elected to bring such action or other civil proceeding in any district court, said plaintiff may of right remove said action or proceeding and claim a jury trial in the same manner and upon the same terms as set forth in said section one hundred and four; and, provided further, that if any compulsory counterclaim is asserted by a defendant, said defendant may of right remove the action and claim a jury trial in the same manner and upon the same terms as are set forth in said section one hundred and four. This section and sections one hundred and four to one hundred and ten, inclusive, shall not apply to actions or counterclaims under the provisions of chapter two hundred and thirty-nine.

Section 104: Any other party, a plaintiff against whom a claim, counterclaim, or cross-claim is brought, and a defendant who asserts a compulsory counterclaim, may, provided that the amount of the claim against such other party, the amount of the claim, counterclaim or cross-claim brought against such plaintiff, or the amount of the compulsory counterclaim asserted by such defendant, as the case may be, exceeds twenty-five thousand dollars, file in the district court in which the action is pending a claim of trial by the superior court together with the fee for the entry of the claim of each plaintiff in the superior court, and, except as provided in section one hundred and seven, a bond in the penal sum of one hundred dollars, with such surety or sureties as may be approved by the party or parties not asserting such claim of trial by the superior court or by the clerk or an assistant clerk of said district court, payable to the other party or parties, conditioned to satisfy any judgment for costs which may be entered against him in the superior court in said cause within thirty days after the entry thereof. Such claim of trial by the superior court must be filed no later than twenty-five days after service of the pleading which asserts the claim, counterclaim, or cross-claim on which the right to remove is based, provided, however, that in the case of a compulsory counterclaim, the party asserting such counterclaim must file such claim of trial by the superior court no later than five days after the expiration of the time allowed to assert such counterclaim. The clerk shall forthwith transmit the papers and entry fee to the clerk of the superior court and the same shall proceed as though then originally entered there.

Removal of a case under this section shall remove any default and vacate any judgment entered thereon for failure to plead or otherwise defend in the district court, excepting cases in which the amount of the claim does not exceed twenty-five thousand dollars. Cases in which no claims, counterclaims and cross-claims exceed twenty-five thousand dollars and those in which rights of parties to remove for trial in the superior court as provided herein and in section one hundred and three are not properly exercised shall be tried in the district court. A party who would have been entitled to remove the case for trial in the superior court as hereinabove provided but for the fact that the amount of the claim, counterclaim, or cross-claim, as the case may be, does not exceed twenty-five thousand dollars shall, if he desires trial by the superior court, file an entry fee of fifty dollars and bond within thirty days after notice of the decision or finding. Such filing shall have the same effect as a request for retransfer under section one hundred and two C, and the decision shall be transmitted to and the case tried in the superior court subject to the provisions of said section one hundred and two C applicable to retransferred cases.

PLEASE HELP

single317dad

The first paragraph addresses the automatic waiver of jury trial (and determination by bench trial) unless the litigant pays a fee and bond within 30 days.

The other two address removal of cases from district court to superior court, and how counterclaims and claims above $25,000 affect said removal.

Do you have a specific question about how these rules apply to your case?

TRossD85

The first paragraph addresses the automatic waiver of jury trial (and determination by bench trial) unless the litigant pays a fee and bond within 30 days.

The other two address removal of cases from district court to superior court, and how counterclaims and claims above $25,000 affect said removal.

Do you have a specific question about how these rules apply to your case?

I won a lawsuit for breach of contract a few years ago in Massachusetts for approximately $5000 and the defendant never paid up in spite of rounds of supplementary process. My attorney tried collecting on the judgement via trustee process but the defendant and his employer never answered the complaint. We came to find out that the defendant has left the state and is now residing in Florida. Unfortunately, my attorney hasn't been a very good communicator lately, but I have been following my case via the state's court website. I noticed that Chapter 231 Sec. 103-104 had been cited recently. Does this mean my case will be moved to superior court now? Also, does this case in Massachusetts become a moot point seeing that he no longer lives in the state? Do I need to pursue my claim in Florida?

Last edited:

TigerD

I won a lawsuit for breach of contract a few years ago in Massachusetts for approximately $5000 and the defendant never paid up in spite of rounds of supplementary process. My attorney tried collecting on the judgement via trustee process but the defendant and his employer never answered the complaint. We came to find out that the defendant has left the state and is now residing in Florida. Unfortunately, my attorney hasn't been a very good communicator lately, but I have been following my case via the state's court website. I noticed that Chapter 231 Sec. 103-104 had been cited recently. Does this mean my case will be moved to superior court now? Also, does this case in Massachusetts become a moot point seeing that he no longer lives in the state? Do I need to pursue my claim in Florida?
You might want to have serious heart-to-heart with your attorney. And you might want to seek out advice from a different attorney - with experience in collections. However, you should prepare yourself for the reality that a $5,000 judgment isn't going to have enough value to interest most attorneys. They would have to get all of the $5k and leave you with nothing. There is a reason that few smaller judgments are paid. They just aren't worth enforcing.

You could also try NationalJudgment.net. There are resources to teach you how to enforce your judgment yourself or you could sell it to an enforcement professional.

Good luck.

TD

single317dad

It will be impossible to say how these rules may affect you without the context of the citations. Who cited them and when? It could be anything from defense counsel fishing to simple court administrative motions to clear caseload.

Regarding collection, I would contact a reputable collection agent in Florida. It doesn't really matter where the defendant lives, but where his assets are. If his collectable assets are in Florida, then you'll have to collect there.

Florida has enacted the Uniform Enforcement of Foreign Judgments Act. Massachusetts has not. I don't know how that affects your judgment; you'd have to ask a qualified attorney. If the UEFJA does not help you, you might have to file another case in Florida based on the existing judgment in Mass, or simply register the judgment with the local court (see Foreign Judgment Registration).

TigerD's suggestion to sell the debt deserves some consideration. The more information you can provide about the debtor, the more valuable your judgment will be. Don't count on it being worth much, though.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">