• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

house purchased with inheritance money

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Status
Not open for further replies.

lyn03

I live in South Carolina.
I purchased my Moms house with inheritance money I rec'd from her and my stepdad, they both passed within 5 months of each other. The house is in my name only, since the deed was just transferred (more or less.) If I were to divorce my husband, would he be able to force me sale the home? or would a judge make me sale the house.

LdiJ

I purchased my Moms house with inheritance money I rec'd from her and my stepdad, they both passed within 5 months of each other. The house is in my name only, since the deed was just transferred (more or less.) If I were to divorce my husband, would he be able to force me sale the home? or would a judge make me sale the house.
No, you would not be forced to sell the home. You purchased it with inheritance money which is completely separate property and you didn't gift him half of it by putting his name on it. So do not worry about the house.

mistoffolees

The judge can't make you sell the home.

HOWEVER:

Make sure that you don't mingle the home with your other assets by refinancing or using marital funds to pay for repairs or upkeep.

Worst case, you might have to pay stbx for the increase in equity during the time you owned the house, but if the inheritance was recent, that shouldn't be much, regardless.

lyn03

Thank you

Thanks for all your answers. I don't plan on a divorce, but we have argued in the past and I was just curious.

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
if you are curious. you are already divorcing. it is called malitious desertion. read the bible
Please feel free to point out ANYTHING ANYWHERE that defines malitious desertion.

More importantly, please point out the section of South Carolina law that defines "Malicious Desertion". Then, point out how the act of asking questions relating to divorce amounts to "Malicious Desertion".

We'll wait, but I won't hold my breath.

mistoffolees

This is a legal site - please point out the LAW.

(You DO remember that the bible says you should follow the law of the land, right?)
And that the bible says that adulterers should be stoned to death. There would be a lot fewer posters on this board if we followed that one......

Status
Not open for further replies.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">