• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Disclosure of Confidential Information

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

moethelep

What is the name of your state? Colorado.

I have been employed by my current employer for about 4 months. I have been seeking a better opportunity for about 2 months. I went on my most recent interview a few weeks ago.
I very clearly indicated on that application that I did not wish for them to contact my current employer; they did. Not only that but evidently there were some negative things said about things that I had supposedly said about my company. This information has-- in effect-- gotten me fired. The individual who informed my employer needs to be held accountable. How can I make that happen?

Thanks,
Ryan

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
You can't. All you can do is report the individual to their boss, whoever that might be. What happens after that is out of your hands.

It is very, very rare that a current employer is contacted when the applicant has requested that they not be, but it does happen and it is not illegal. It's definitely not best practice but no laws were violated. That being the case, his manager is not obligated to take any action at all. There's nothing you can do to force it to happen.

moethelep

Some of the things that were said were not true though. This slander damaged my reputation with my company to the point of me getting fired.

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
When you actually are fired, come back and see us again. Until then, you have no damages that would be recognized by a court based on what you have posted.

moethelep

such as???????
Specifically, it was explained to me that the interviewer claimed that I said that I did not care about my job and was, therefor, intentionally not performing well. My HR manager also said that she was advised about a "derogatory" comment I made about my company; she refused to be specific.

I have not technically been fired, but for all intents and purposes, I have been. I work for a security company and they claim that they don't have any account managers that are willing to work with me, so until that changes they cannot place me at a site. I feel that they are trying to force me to quit so they don't have to fire me.

fairisfair

okay first , prove that those things were said.

Okay, now prove that none of them are true.

I think you get the picture.

racer72

Well, how can slander ever be proven then?
It is very difficult. Right now all you have is someone's opinion of you and that opinion is not what will get you fired, you will be fired for looking for another job. You can be fired for lack of loyalty to your employer. Remember, slander is a harmful statement made to intentionally cause harm. All you have is someone's opionion.

moethelep

It is very difficult. Right now all you have is someone's opinion of you and that opinion is not what will get you fired, you will be fired for looking for another job. You can be fired for lack of loyalty to your employer. Remember, slander is a harmful statement made to intentionally cause harm. All you have is someone's opionion.
It is not their opinion, this person is claiming that I said these things. Obviously this was harmful, whether it was intentional or not, I have no way of knowing.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">