• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Can I drop my case IN PA and refile where I Live?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Seekingbalance

What is the name of your state? PA
I initially filed for divorce in PA, we have a mutual agreement on a PFA and she's been awarded an alimony of $195.00 per month. She refuses to sign divorce papers, my lawyer now says I have to pony up $500.00 for a filing fee for equitable distribution. In addition he is talking about interogitories and on and on.
Since I do not reside in PA, can I drop my case there and file it here in Maine? which I know she will not show up for. Or will PA claim juristiction as there are existing orders of a PFA and an alimony award. Can I get this in the courts any faster without having to pay this fee and drag this all out for god knows how long?
She cleaned out my bank account, ran up my credit cards, has my new car and the house with her adult kids in it. It is in foreclosure and my credit is destroyed! Can I recoop anything and is it worth it?

Last edited:

seniorjudge

I will assume she has answered your lawsuit in Pennsylvania.

If that is the case, you may not be able to dismiss it.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">