• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Landlord Tennant Dispute

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

HumbleSista

Georgia

In December 2004 I moved out of my apartment into a house before the lease was up. I paid the rent in full to cover until the lease expired which was 12-31-2004. Before handing in the keys while showering the floor cracked. the crack was about 3 inches. Anyway when the property manager gave me the itemized bill to settle the account she included $75 for the shower floor. I wrote a letter and explained I was not going to pay for obvious wear and tear and subtracted the 75 from the total and submitted my final check.

A week or so later I recieve a bill in the amount of $300 from the apartments. Itemized as follows REINFORCE TUB $200, LABOR AND SUPPLIES $100. I was furious. I contacted the Better Business Bureau and filed a complaint. We went back and forth and the matter was never resolved.

Now almost 3 years later I discover that the $300 charge was placed on my credit report. The new apartment that I had applied for denied me because of this, but said that if I paid it I could move in. I paid the money but I want it back. I was advised by my current landlord to write paid in full under duress and include a letter explaining that I am not accepting liability for the damage to the shower. Which I did, had it notarized, and mailed it along with a cashiers check certified return reciept mail.

I will add that I am 'morbidly obese', kind of embarassing to say but true. :eek: I am going to take them to court but I want to know what I can sue for: stress, not to mention I drove from Charlotte NC trying to make it to pay the money in person so I could get a reciept and my serpentine belt broke, $300 to repair and I never made it to the office.

I need advice, please help. I intend to pursue this until I am indemnified.

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
Georgia

In December 2004 I moved out of my apartment into a house before the lease was up. I paid the rent in full to cover until the lease expired which was 12-31-2004. Before handing in the keys while showering the floor cracked. the crack was about 3 inches. Anyway when the property manager gave me the itemized bill to settle the account she included $75 for the shower floor. I wrote a letter and explained I was not going to pay for obvious wear and tear and subtracted the 75 from the total and submitted my final check.

A week or so later I recieve a bill in the amount of $300 from the apartments. Itemized as follows REINFORCE TUB $200, LABOR AND SUPPLIES $100. I was furious. I contacted the Better Business Bureau and filed a complaint. We went back and forth and the matter was never resolved.

Now almost 3 years later I discover that the $300 charge was placed on my credit report. The new apartment that I had applied for denied me because of this, but said that if I paid it I could move in. I paid the money but I want it back. I was advised by my current landlord to write paid in full under duress and include a letter explaining that I am not accepting liability for the damage to the shower. Which I did, had it notarized, and mailed it along with a cashiers check certified return reciept mail.

I will add that I am 'morbidly obese', kind of embarassing to say but true. :eek: I am going to take them to court but I want to know what I can sue for: stress, not to mention I drove from Charlotte NC trying to make it to pay the money in person so I could get a reciept and my serpentine belt broke, $300 to repair and I never made it to the office.

I need advice, please help. I intend to pursue this until I am indemnified.
You damaged the tub, you are responsible for the repair.

HumbleSista

You damaged the tub, you are responsible for the repair.
sure it happened when I was showering but that is not my fault. those apartments have been there for over 20 years. my current apartment manager says there is no way that I should be held resposible for normal wear and tear. not to mention the fact that that could have happened to anyone and I was not doing anything out of the ordinary only showering so I am sorry I don't agree with you. It's not like I was doing jumping jacks in the shower, you have to be joking.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">