• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Profiling- Cheap Soup Theft

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Rstates

What is the name of your state? North Carolina
Good Evening.
Here is my story. Yesterday while at lunch with my work partner we decided to stop at a nice large Grocery/Convenience store in the county i work in. i walk in with cup - o - noodles in my hand (Not Concealed) and proceed to the microwave area to make my lunch while my partner was getting a sandwich to order. on our way out (after standing with my partner while he was paying) a lady shouted " hey you! Do you plan on paying for that!?) so i walked over to her so i wouldnt be embarassed anymore than i was and kindly said oh im sorry i did walk in with this it was in my lunch cooler, but the employee was hell bent on catching herself a shoplifter. after about 5 minutes of me being accused of stealing i was starting to feel very embarassed and trapped, she wouldnt lower her voice or even suggest that we step aside.while the lunch crowd became more interested in my misfortune i explained to her that i wouldnt steal a 79 cent cup - o - noodles, and she told me to tell that to her manager while they reviewed the tape. long story short the manager needed convincing too and my co worker came back in to try and tell these people i wasnt stealing cheap soup. finally i was freed to go after the accusations were done, they never reviewed a tape just kinda gave up the argument.
now please explain the(if any) profiling law to me, i was taught to never accuse ANYONE of stealing unless we had viewed them on camera doing so. this was very embarassing and i would like to do something about this.What is the name of your state?

moburkes

What is the name of your state? North Carolina
Good Evening.
Here is my story. Yesterday while at lunch with my work partner we decided to stop at a nice large Grocery/Convenience store in the county i work in. i walk in with cup - o - noodles in my hand (Not Concealed) and proceed to the microwave area to make my lunch while my partner was getting a sandwich to order. on our way out (after standing with my partner while he was paying) a lady shouted " hey you! Do you plan on paying for that!?) so i walked over to her so i wouldnt be embarassed anymore than i was and kindly said oh im sorry i did walk in with this it was in my lunch cooler, but the employee was hell bent on catching herself a shoplifter. after about 5 minutes of me being accused of stealing i was starting to feel very embarassed and trapped, she wouldnt lower her voice or even suggest that we step aside.while the lunch crowd became more interested in my misfortune i explained to her that i wouldnt steal a 79 cent cup - o - noodles, and she told me to tell that to her manager while they reviewed the tape. long story short the manager needed convincing too and my co worker came back in to try and tell these people i wasnt stealing cheap soup. finally i was freed to go after the accusations were done, they never reviewed a tape just kinda gave up the argument.
now please explain the(if any) profiling law to me, i was taught to never accuse ANYONE of stealing unless we had viewed them on camera doing so. this was very embarassing and i would like to do something about this.What is the name of your state?
Huh? Many places don't have video cameras? Are they not allowed to accuse someone of stealing?
In any case, you shoudn't walk into any establishment and ASSUME that they know that you brought the item in. You could have gotten the attention of an employee there, lifted up your cup as you were walking in, and explained that you brought this item inside.

Rstates

you obviously have a one sided opinion. maybe go on and tell another scenario - senior member? and NO you cant just accuse someone of shoplifting there are many cases against false accusations and im trying to find out more about these cases. this is a well established store with many cameras to clarify your statement.

Rstates

and yes i should have said something to the employees that i was bringing in my own soup . that was my mistake.

racer72

Many years ago when I worked in loss prevention, if anyone could not provide a reciept for something brought into the store we busted them for shop lifting. I never lost a case either. If I was the owner of the store I would have done that. I would also bet the microwaves are for customers that are buying stuff at the store, not for the general public to use with their own stuff. Consider yourself lucky. Nothing in your post suggests you have any kind of legal claim.

quincy

From what you have posted, there does not seem to be any defamation here - just a misunderstanding. Generally people do not bring their own food into a store to prepare it. Sounds like an honest mistake, albeit an embarrassing one for you.

las365

NO you cant just accuse someone of shoplifting there are many cases against false accusations and im trying to find out more about these cases.
If you are expecting to get a bunch of replies telling you that you can sue and get a boatload of money from the store because their employee didn't see you bring the soup into the store, I'm afraid you're going to be sorely disappointed.

moburkes

you obviously have a one sided opinion. maybe go on and tell another scenario - senior member? and NO you cant just accuse someone of shoplifting there are many cases against false accusations and im trying to find out more about these cases. this is a well established store with many cameras to clarify your statement.
Yep, absolutely one-sided. Do you have a legal statute to back up your claim?

Rstates

Many years ago when I worked in loss prevention, if anyone could not provide a reciept for something brought into the store we busted them for shop lifting. I never lost a case either. If I was the owner of the store I would have done that. I would also bet the microwaves are for customers that are buying stuff at the store, not for the general public to use with their own stuff. Consider yourself lucky. Nothing in your post suggests you have any kind of legal claim.
yeah and then when i was released from the station i would provide my attorney with the reciept from the store where i bought the soup cups 4 nights prior along with the rest of my weekly groceries. and you my friend living in the past - would be in some trouble ,i would imagine. i work as a collections manager and LP at a very large furnature store and would NEVER accuse a paying customer of stealing something they brought in. and i say paying customer because i do spend 60 dollars a week at this store/ Gas Station, so i thought it was the least they could do by allowing me to heat my food up. sounds like you ran a tight ship sailor. how did your buisness do?

Rstates

If you are expecting to get a bunch of replies telling you that you can sue and get a boatload of money from the store because their employee didn't see you bring the soup into the store, I'm afraid you're going to be sorely disappointed.
no im expecting a friendly reply or encouraging word of advice. but i guess a pre-madonna Thread post re-poster as yourself cant provide that.

moburkes

no im expecting a friendly reply or encouraging word of advice. but i guess a pre-madonna Thread post re-poster as yourself cant provide that.
Gosh, at least get the spelling right when you accuse me of being a prima donna.

What is a re-poster? I've never even heard that term.

In any case, laws tell you what you can't do, and since you said that you cannot just accuse someone of shoplifting, there should be a law that backs up your claim.

las365

i work as a collections manager and LP at a very large furnature store and would NEVER accuse a paying customer of stealing something they brought in.
Do a lot of people bring furniture into the store?

By the way, I'm not pre-Madonna, I was there, baby, when she hit the bigtime! Like a Virgin! Hooooo!

Mo, I think a "thread post re-poster" is someone who quotes a previous post. If I ever re-register, I think I'll take that as my username.

moburkes

Do a lot of people bring furniture into the store?

By the way, I'm not pre-Madonna, I was there, baby, when she hit the bigtime! Like a Virgin! Hooooo!

Mo, I think a "thread post re-poster" is someone who quotes a previous post. If I ever re-register, I think I'll take that as my username.
Remember the black rubber bracelets? Nowadays, the kids use colored rubber bracelets and they have all kinds of sexual "clues" associated with the colors. :eek:

Thanks for the info about re-poster.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">