• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Child Support Payment

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

dcutter

What is the name of your state? GA

Child support services is holding an involuntary payment from the taxes of the non-custodial parent. The letter he received says that he has 30 days to file for a hearing if he disagrees. He called to inform me that he is not disputing the amount. I called the child support office and was told that the money will be held for a maximum of 180 days and there is nothing he or I can do to get the payment released. Why do they need to hold the payment so long and why can't he call or write to let them know that he is not disputing? It doesn't make sense to hold the money for that long when children are involved. Is there anything that can be done?

Thanks.What is the name of your state?

fairisfair

yeah, you can wait 180 days.

It is standard for them to hold the payment to allow spouses to file an injured spouse form and for other reasons as well.

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
Why would the CS department take YOUR word that the ex won't contest/dispute it?

cvdesign

What is the name of your state? GA

Child support services is holding an involuntary payment from the taxes of the non-custodial parent. The letter he received says that he has 30 days to file for a hearing if he disagrees. He called to inform me that he is not disputing the amount. I called the child support office and was told that the money will be held for a maximum of 180 days and there is nothing he or I can do to get the payment released. Why do they need to hold the payment so long and why can't he call or write to let them know that he is not disputing? It doesn't make sense to hold the money for that long when children are involved. Is there anything that can be done?

Thanks.What is the name of your state?
Call your CS office and ask if it's possible to have your ex sign a waiver stating that he will NOT dispute the offset. Some CS customer care reps will know about this, some won't. It's relatively new, so you may have to ask to go higher up the chain.

fairisfair

Call your CS office and ask if it's possible to have your ex sign a waiver stating that he will NOT dispute the offset. Some CS customer care reps will know about this, some won't. It's relatively new, so you may have to ask to go higher up the chain.
Really? and what if he has a spouse?

cvdesign

Any spouse (didn't see where the OP had mentioned that there was one) would have to sign a waiver as well.

Which she would have learned when she called asking if that particular CS agency had a waiver, I would assume.

AFAIK, the original "waiting period" is for disputing the offset itself (whether it's valid) -- the additional time period is to allow for a filing of "Innocent Spouse."

Ex's waiver would have to come first, if she wants the money ASAP.

dcutter

yeah, you can wait 180 days.

It is standard for them to hold the payment to allow spouses to file an injured spouse form and for other reasons as well.

I don't think you understand. He decreased his deductions so that they WILL take the payment. He owes over $10,000. I'm asking why can't he call or go there to tell them that he is not going to dispute the charges. I was told that he can't do anything. Furthermore, how do you know that I can wait. You have no idea what my situation is. My child is 21 years old, I've waited for over 9 years. Are you a lawyer?

Silverplum

I don't think you understand. He decreased his deductions so that they WILL take the payment. He owes over $10,000.
Okay.
dcutter said:
I'm asking why can't he call or go there to tell them that he is not going to dispute the charges.
That's not a rule WE made up, or anything. This is not OUR procedure. :rolleyes:
dcutter said:
I was told that he can't do anything.
By whom?
dcutter said:
Furthermore, how do you know that I can wait. You have no idea what my situation is. My child is 21 years old, I've waited for over 9 years. Are you a lawyer?
There's no need to get angry at an advisor. You don't know the advisor's situation, either, do you?
:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:
In the end, the person who is in the wrong is the one who is not obeying a court order. Yell at that person.

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
You've waited 9 years...what's another 6 months?

(From a guy who is owed over $100k from his ex...)

dcutter

Child Support

Why would the CS department take YOUR word that the ex won't contest/dispute it?
I'm really surprised at the responses I am getting. It doesn't seem like anyone is reading what I typed. You are not understanding, I asked why can't he call or go there to have them release the money. They don't have to believe me. They told me that there is nothing he can do to have the money released. I'm asking why not? He is not disputing, why would I call to tell them that just to have them take it back. Everyone is not a liar or crook. He called ME to let me know that the money was coming to me. He was surprised when I told him how long they will hold it.

dcutter

Child Support

Thank you so much for your response. I will try this to see if it works.

dcutter

Child Support

No one is getting the part that he wants me to have the money. He is not married. He called to let me know to expect the money but was surprised when I told him how long they will hold it. I want to know why he can't call or go there to tell them that he is not disputing.

dcutter

Child Support

Okay.

That's not a rule WE made up, or anything. This is not OUR procedure. :rolleyes:

By whom?

There's no need to get angry at an advisor. You don't know the advisor's situation, either, do you?
:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:
In the end, the person who is in the wrong is the one who is not obeying a court order. Yell at that person.
Ok, now I'm really confused, the advisor told me I can wait. I don't know his situation but why would he assume that I can wait as if he knows my situation. Are you reading all the threads. I guess I was expecting more from this site because I seem to be getting some mean responses. I'm not yelling. Sorry I guess I should have researched how REAL this site it because I can't imagine lawyers with this attitude.

Silverplum

Ok, now I'm really confused, the advisor told me I can wait. I don't know his situation but why would he assume that I can wait as if he knows my situation. Are you reading all the threads. I guess I was expecting more from this site because I seem to be getting some mean responses. I'm not yelling. Sorry I guess I should have researched how REAL this site it because I can't imagine lawyers with this attitude.
I really think you misread the *tone* of fairisfair's posting. She may well have meant, "You can EXPECT TO wait..."

There's no need to get all freaked out. The advice is free. You are welcome to hire an attorney. You are welcome to leave. You are also welcome to stay and learn.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">