• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Claiming parnter as a dependent

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

JS500

I am in Ohio. I have recently become unemployed. Can my partner claim me as a dependent? We live together but are not married. Are there income limits if I do get a little part time work. I also collect unemployment benefits currently (no tax taken out at this point).

And, once married, can she claim me if we file separately?

davew128

The same rules apply to everyone as to claiming another as a dependent. A couple of items though:

1) Last time I checked, Ohio was not one of the states that allowed "partners" to get married.
2) Exactly WHY would you want to claim a spouse as a dependent on a separate return (assuming that person qualifies) as opposed to filing jointly in the first place???

LdiJ

The same rules apply to everyone as to claiming another as a dependent. A couple of items though:

1) Last time I checked, Ohio was not one of the states that allowed "partners" to get married.
2) Exactly WHY would you want to claim a spouse as a dependent on a separate return (assuming that person qualifies) as opposed to filing jointly in the first place???
OP stated that they lived together but are not married.

Your partner/significant other can claim you as a dependent for 2009 if 1) you lived with your partner for the entire year of 2009 and 2) you earned less than $3650.00 for the entire year.

Otherwise, you are not his/her dependent.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">