• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

19 Dating 17

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

westcoastgirl

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? California

Is it legal for a 19 year old girl to day a 17 year old guy. What are the consequences for the girl or the guy if caught having sexual intercourse? What are the consequences if she is pregnant? This is an emergency and I would really like to know asap if anyone can help me. Thanks!

Antigone*

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? California

Is it legal for a 19 year old girl to day a 17 year old boy. What are the consequences for the girl or the guy if caught having sexual intercourse? What are the consequences if she is pregnant?
I fixed it for you.:cool:

If his parents do not approve of the relationship you can be in big trouble. And you've given them evidence to boot.

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
Okay. One more time. (WHY do we even bother HAVING a search feature?)

There are no laws, anywhere in this country, that dictate who may and who may not DATE. You can hang out at the mall, go to a movie or school event, have a picnic, drive around the countryside, etc., with anyone the minor's parents give him and her permission to, regardless of ages and regardless of state.

Where the law steps in, is when sexual contact (which is NOT limited to sexual intercourse) comes in.

The age of consent in California is 18, and if I recall correctly, the close-in-age laws serve only to reduce the charge to a misdemeanor from a felony. So if the 19 year old comes up pregnant, she's just handed the state evidence on a silver platter that she has committed a crime; the only rope she will have to hold onto is that she will have committed a misdemeanor, not a felony.

CdwJava

Is it legal for a 19 year old girl to day a 17 year old guy. What are the consequences for the girl or the guy if caught having sexual intercourse? What are the consequences if she is pregnant? This is an emergency and I would really like to know asap if anyone can help me. Thanks!
How is it an emergency? Oh ... I see ... they are already having sex and she's "late" ... is that it? Which of the two are you?

The girl is guilty of - at least - a misdemeanor. If they admit to certain other sexual acts, she could be guilty of a felony.

cyjeff

How is it an emergency? Oh ... I see ... they are already having sex and she's "late" ... is that it? Which of the two are you?
Yup, I went to the same place.

The other night, I heard a comedian say, "The best thing about pre-marital sex? Woman look HAPPY about their monthly visit!"

Either that or they only have the room for another couple of hours.

The girl is guilty of - at least - a misdemeanor. If they admit to certain other sexual acts, she could be guilty of a felony.
It also depends if there is a custodial relationship between the woman and the child.

CdwJava

It also depends if there is a custodial relationship between the woman and the child.
True. But, that would be highly unlikely.

Sadly, I know of a couple relationships like this (though without the pregnancy) and the parents of the boy are okay with it in each of them!!

westcoastgirl

Actually, you shouldn't start making assumptions yet. It's just a question I need for my class. We are having debates. I need support for my reasons. Because all I heard are older men dating younger girls. It's common for the guys to be older than the girl. So I was just wondering, what happens when an older girl dates a younger boy. These kinds of relationships are just more likely to get gossip about than the other way around. But thank you very much. I'm not pregnant. lol

Last edited:

westcoastgirl

True. But, that would be highly unlikely.

Sadly, I know of a couple relationships like this (though without the pregnancy) and the parents of the boy are okay with it in each of them!!
What if the parents of the boy are okay with them having sex? Is that even legal?

westcoastgirl

And also if the boy is okay with dating her and the parents doesn't approve, will she go to jail for that?

Or what if the parents and the boy are okay with the boy dating the girl who is older than him and someone else disapprove. For example, the boy's teacher, can the teacher do something about it? And if the teacher can, what kind of things can she be charge with?

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
I am willing to violate my usual rule that I don't do homework in this case, particularly since in this instance I don't believe it's homework. There was too much urgency in the initial post.

No. The parents cannot make the illegal, legal (though they can make the legal illegal). If the parents approve of their underage child having sex with an adult, all that means is that the parents join the adult in jail.

And yes, anyone who disapproves of the relationship is free to report it to the authorities.

westcoastgirl

Oh I see. Now that makes sense to me. And believe what you believe. Law is hard to understand. Especially when you are learning about it in law class!! Thank you very much.

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
Yes, I will continue to believe that anyone who wants to know that urgently whether she can legally have sex with a minor, has more on her mind than her homework assignment.

You haven't fooled anyone here.

Oh, and in the event that we're all wrong and this really is a homework assignment, don't come back with another one. We're volunteering here to help real people with real problems - not to save spoiled teenagers from having to do their own research so they can go out and party.

CdwJava

What if the parents of the boy are okay with them having sex? Is that even legal?
Nope.

In CA this woul deb at least a violation of PC 261.5. If they engaged in other sorts of sexual acts, the girl could be committing a felony, though the chances are she would only face the misdemeanor 261.5 after all was said and done.

CdwJava

And also if the boy is okay with dating her and the parents doesn't approve, will she go to jail for that?

Or what if the parents and the boy are okay with the boy dating the girl who is older than him and someone else disapprove. For example, the boy's teacher, can the teacher do something about it? And if the teacher can, what kind of things can she be charge with?
If the adult is encouraging or causing the minor to be delinquent or disobey/deceive the parents, then the adult can be guilty of a crime, yes.

The teacher cannot do much to prevent the 19 year old from talking to the minor, but if the teacher finds out about sex, yep! And, of course, unless the adult is an old student, she is potentially committing a crime being on campus to talk to the minor anyway.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">