• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Theft or vandalism?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

White Family

My son left his bicycle gear (helmet, gloves and fleece hood) in his 7th grade class by accident. Later in the day the teacher saw another student wearing the helmet in class (where my son left it). He asked if that was his helmet and the student stated yes. Later the janitor found my sons gear in the toilet.
I contacted the father and he said his son was defending my son from bullies and had not put it in the toilet but had left it in the bathroom. Had he actually been defending my son from bullies he would not have been wearing it (and in the teacher’s words…goofing around). When the teacher asked if it was his helmet he stated yes. At that point he should have state no and said it was Alex’s and handed it over to the teacher. Alex (my son) had left the helmet, gloves and hood all together in the class. All the gear latter was found in the school toilet. Benjamin Pool having had already lied to the teacher stating that it was his, then by his own admission leaving it in the bathroom has established that his intentions were not honorable but were malicious.
The father said he would only pay for the helmet ($20). At this point for me it is the point of the whole thing and this makes it hard for me to just take the $20 and eat the rest of the expense ($52). What should I do?

Antigone*

My son left his bicycle gear (helmet, gloves and fleece hood) in his 7th grade class by accident. Later in the day the teacher saw another student wearing the helmet in class (where my son left it). He asked if that was his helmet and the student stated yes. Later the janitor found my sons gear in the toilet.
I contacted the father and he said his son was defending my son from bullies and had not put it in the toilet but had left it in the bathroom. Had he actually been defending my son from bullies he would not have been wearing it (and in the teacher’s words…goofing around). When the teacher asked if it was his helmet he stated yes. At that point he should have state no and said it was Alex’s and handed it over to the teacher. Alex (my son) had left the helmet, gloves and hood all together in the class. All the gear latter was found in the school toilet. Benjamin Pool having had already lied to the teacher stating that it was his, then by his own admission leaving it in the bathroom has established that his intentions were not honorable but were malicious.
The father said he would only pay for the helmet ($20). At this point for me it is the point of the whole thing and this makes it hard for me to just take the $20 and eat the rest of the expense ($52). What should I do?
Why did your son leave his belongings in the classroom where they could get lost or stolen?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">