• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Filing in Two States

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

irritatedman83

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Texas

I am trying to figure out what my rights are. I have already been to court once because a young lady declared me the father of her child. We went court in the State of Arkansas and the judge said I was not the father. They appealed and again I was declared not the father. I have not heard from this young woman in years. She did however, find my wife on a social network and harass her a few years ago. This morning, I received a letter from the State of Colorado from this same woman and same child saying that she has named me in child support case. I would like to know if I can do anything or am I basically going to have to deal with this woman until she goes to a state that finally gives her the answer she wants.

Proserpina

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Texas

I am trying to figure out what my rights are. I have already been to court once because a young lady declared me the father of her child. We went court in the State of Arkansas and the judge said I was not the father. They appealed and again I was declared not the father. I have not heard from this young woman in years. She did however, find my wife on a social network and harass her a few years ago. This morning, I received a letter from the State of Colorado from this same woman and same child saying that she has named me in child support case. I would like to know if I can do anything or am I basically going to have to deal with this woman until she goes to a state that finally gives her the answer she wants.

I'm literally elling my ay off here (more at your user name than anything else other than your wife's sense of indignation).

So. Your ex filed in Colorado. Respond, and request a DNA paternity test.

Or, respond with proof that the state of Arkansas already deemed you NOT to be the child's father. That WAS via DNA, yes?

Then it will all go away.

irritatedman83

I'm literally elling my ay off here (more at your user name than anything else other than your wife's sense of indignation).

Or, respond with proof that the state of Arkansas already deemed you NOT to be the child's father. That WAS via DNA, yes?

I am irritated because I thought this was all taken care of. My wife is very passionate about my well being. I apologize if it offended anyone on this website. She was trying to be proactive and get advice for us. She did not realize that it would be this difficult. Anyway, we took the DNA test and between her telling other people she knew I was not the father and the low CPI index we ended up in court over the issue. But the State of Arkansas has stated I am not the father on initial court appearance and the appeals process.

mistoffolees

OP said that there was a DNA test and he's not the father - both by the test and by AR court ruling.

Shouldn't be a big deal.

I am irritated because I thought this was all taken care of. My wife is very passionate about my well being. I apologize if it offended anyone on this website. She was trying to be proactive and get advice for us. She did not realize that it would be this difficult. Anyway, we took the DNA test and between her telling other people she knew I was not the father and the low CPI index we ended up in court over the issue. But the State of Arkansas has stated I am not the father on initial court appearance and the appeals process.
So what the heck are you worried about? You take a couple of hours, take the stuff to court (preferably with an attorney) and you're done with it.

Believe me, others have had to put up with far worse from their ex. Your shrill, antagonistic response suggests that there's more involved than you're telling us.

irritatedman83

OP said that there was a DNA test and he's not the father - both by the test and by AR court ruling.

Shouldn't be a big deal.

So what the heck are you worried about? You take a couple of hours, take the stuff to court (preferably with an attorney) and you're done with it.

Believe me, others have had to put up with far worse from their ex. Your shrill, antagonistic response suggests that there's more involved than you're telling us.
Honestly,

There is nothing else involved. I just honestly thought that after the first court hearing and judgement, I was done. We are getting all the paperwork from the State of Arkansas. I just wanted to know what my rights are as far as this young lady harassing me and my family and is this legal.

mistoffolees

Honestly,

There is nothing else involved. I just honestly thought that after the first court hearing and judgement, I was done. We are getting all the paperwork from the State of Arkansas. I just wanted to know what my rights are as far as this young lady harassing me and my family and is this legal.
Yes, it's legal.

Now, you MAY be able to get the judge to penalize her in some way for filing a frivolous suit, but it's not very likely. You simply respond with the proof and it goes away.

irritatedman83

Yes, it's legal.

Now, you MAY be able to get the judge to penalize her in some way for filing a frivolous suit, but it's not very likely. You simply respond with the proof and it goes away.
Thank you so much. I am just in shock that someone could do this. I mean does that mean she could go to every state and file again? I am sorry that my wife and I caused such an uproar in your forum to answer one question. She thought she was helping me. We just wanted to know if this was harassment or if I had any rights.

Proserpina

Thank you so much. I am just in shock that someone could do this. I mean does that mean she could go to every state and file again? I am sorry that my wife and I caused such an uproar in your forum to answer one question. She thought she was helping me. We just wanted to know if this was harassment or if I had any rights.

It would be irritating the life out of me, too, if I were in your position.

It's not really germane to the question, but out of curiosity did she go away for X number of years? Did you happen to remarry and then she started up again?

Ohiogal

Queen Bee
Truthfully this is real easy -- he files a motion to dismiss with a CERTIFIED COPY of the Arkansas decisions attached and serves her with a copy of the whole mess.

irritatedman83

It would be irritating the life out of me, too, if I were in your position.

It's not really germane to the question, but out of curiosity did she go away for X number of years? Did you happen to remarry and then she started up again?
Her and I were never married. During all of this back in 2002 I did get married. My wife was there with me at the trial. I have not heard personally from this girl since the trial. She has contacted my wife once before on a social network. It has been 9 years. I believe she did just move to the state of Colorado from what I heard. I have not lived in the state of Arkansas in 9 years. That is why it is so shocking.

Proserpina

Her and I were never married. During all of this back in 2002 I did get married. My wife was there with me at the trial. I have not heard personally from this girl since the trial. She has contacted my wife once before on a social network. It has been 9 years. I believe she did just move to the state of Colorado from what I heard. I have not lived in the state of Arkansas in 9 years. That is why it is so shocking.

It's possible that she's on State assistance and has been told to identify every possible father.

I do have a question.

Were you ever legally established as this child's father?

Was the original trial to try to establish paternity? Or to disestablish paternity which had already been established earlier?

irritatedman83

It's possible that she's on State assistance and has been told to identify every possible father.

I do have a question.

Were you ever legally established as this child's father?

Was the original trial to try to establish paternity? Or to disestablish paternity which had already been established earlier?
I was never legally established as the father. The trial was to establish paternity which the State of Arkansas says I am not. She may be trying to get state assistance. My wife did some research for the State of Colorado and saw that if she was trying to apply for TANF it would automatically open up a case.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">