• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

VC 22348 (B) - CA (speed 100+mph) - HELP

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

san_cal_driver

Hi,
I received a ticket for driving 103 mph on 65 speed limit. The ticket has radar/lidar reading on it.

I would like to know how should I approach it. Also please let me know how much will the actual fine be and how much will it impact my insurance cost.

I_Got_Banned

san_cal_driver

I usually never go beyond the speed limits, however due to rental car, I was unable to feel the speed. Is there any possibility that the punishment can be reduced. Any guidance/help would be really helpful.

I am planning to go to court which is almost 5hr 30 mins drive (app 320 mi) from my place by taking off from work. Hence please suggest anything which can help reduce my fine. Is there any possibility that it can reduced to one point infraction with the community service in city of residence.

Last edited:

I_Got_Banned

please suggest anything which can help reduce my fine..
Sure.... Do NOT use the excuse of "I usually never go beyond the speed limits, however due to rental car, I was unable to feel the speed." since by doing so, you would be insulting the intelligence of anyone listening or reading.

And there is nothing that you can do to reduce the points. The judge cannot change the charge. He can either find you not guilty, or find you guilty (at which time when the DMV -not the court- will add two violation points to your record)....

You can search the forums for 22348 and read the few suggestions that some offered on how to defend against this charge. Considering the fact that few if any of those threads were updated with reports of successful arguments, I wouldn't hold out much hope for a reduction or a dismissal!!!

Last edited:

davew128

I usually never go beyond the speed limits, however due to rental car, I was unable to feel the speed.
MY BS detector just exploded.

My car (RX-8) is in the shop getting an engine replacement and I'm driving a rental. Trust me, I still know how fast I'm going even switching from a 6 speed to an automatic.

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
"Not feeling the speed" is the explanation for 72 in a 65. At 100+ mph, you knew darn well that you were going WAY TOO FAST.

Mass_Shyster

I bet 100+ in any rental feels like 50 in my Jeep. But since I know what a junker I'm used to, I use the cruse control when I drive something decent.

asiny

I usually never go beyond the speed limits, however due to rental car, I was unable to feel the speed.
I guess the little 'clock-like' device that represents the speed of the vehicle means nothing then....
...you should no longer be driving. I pray for the suspension.

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
I guess the little 'clock-like' device that represents the speed of the vehicle means nothing then....
...you should no longer be driving. I pray for the suspension.
Good point. I don't know why people think "I pay no attention to the speed of my vehicle" is a valid defense.

cyjeff

I drive 2-3 rental cars A WEEK. I can't even remember the types of cars I have rented... but there have been everything from v8's to four bangers.

I have never driven over 100 in any.

That is a ridiculous excuse.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">