• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

87 in a 55 zone since my dog was dying....

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

CynPetrauskas

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law): Louisiana

I am a veterinary student and I went in for my morning rotation. Around 9:30 AM I was paged that I had a phone call. It was my room-mate who woke up to find my beloved dog unresponsive. I rushed out of the clinic as fast as I could. I admit I was wrong to do 87 in a 55 zone, and I know I am guilty for that. The officer was crude and didn't seem to care and took his time getting the paperwork done. I was polite but very upset because of my situation. By the time I got home my dog had expired. I know this is not really an excuse for speeding... but my emotions got the best of me.

How should I handle this? Will the judge take my situation into consideration? :confused: Any help is appreciated...

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney

I am a veterinary student and I went in for my morning rotation. Around 9:30 AM I was paged that I had a phone call. It was my room-mate who woke up to find my beloved dog unresponsive. I rushed out of the clinic as fast as I could. I admit I was wrong to do 87 in a 55 zone, and I know I am guilty for that. The officer was crude and didn't seem to care and took his time getting the paperwork done. I was polite but very upset because of my situation. By the time I got home my dog had expired. I know this is not really an excuse for speeding... but my emotions got the best of me.

How should I handle this? Will the judge take my situation into consideration? :confused: Any help is appreciated...
How many HUMAN lives did you endanger just to get to the side of your dying pet?

Banned_Princess

you have to pay this ticket, and or hefty fines and fees. I think 87 in a 55 is a felony... do you have a court date on this?

I'm sorry about your dog, but thats in no way a medical emergency and only you care. Maybe had you been doing the speed limit, or close enough to it you wouldn't have been pulled over, and you would have made it home to comfort your beloved possession.

no the judge will not entertain this. sorry. You sure did endanger real lives.

davidmcbeth3

Even if was a person going to the ER, you cannot speed.

But you may get a judge who is sympathetic to your plight. Bringing the dog carcass in as evidence is not a good idea.

tranquility

Even if was a person going to the ER, you cannot speed.
I believe the defense would be defense of others. If you reasonably believed and did believe the person was in danger and you could save him by driving over the speed limit, that would be a valid defense.

You just have to hope the jury will believe the speeding was reasonable for the facts.

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
I believe the defense would be defense of others. If you reasonably believed and did believe the person was in danger and you could save him by driving over the speed limit, that would be a valid defense.

You just have to hope the jury will believe the speeding was reasonable for the facts.
I think David meant that if our OP were rushing to the hospital to meet up with a person heading to the ER, that would not be a defense.

Hot Topic

The law considers your dog property and will act accordingly.

The officer doesn't have to care about your dog. He cares about the fact that you were willing to run down a child if it meant reaching your dog faster.

Your priorities are skewed.

xylene

Just do what anybody would do, without all this veterinary nonsense.

Get a lawyer and sort it out.

And all the children you might have killed is equally irrelevant as your dog. :rolleyes:

You Are Guilty

If you really cared about your dog, you would have been doing 100mph.

[I am actually (trying to) make a legal point here. I happen to love dogs.]

davidmcbeth3

If you really cared about your dog, you would have been doing 100mph.

[I am actually (trying to) make a legal point here. I happen to love dogs.]
he must not have cared are much as you ... the only time I have driven in excess of the posted speed limit legally is when I was recalled to my military base while on leave .. and I drove up to 150 MPH ...

I recall that this is OK along with mailmen delivering their mail.

Hot Topic

you have to pay this ticket, and or hefty fines and fees. I think 87 in a 55 is a felony... do you have a court date on this?

I'm sorry about your dog, but thats in no way a medical emergency and only you care. Maybe had you been doing the speed limit, or close enough to it you wouldn't have been pulled over, and you would have made it home to comfort your beloved possession.

no the judge will not entertain this. sorry. You sure did endanger real lives.

Excellent point, BP. No one can know for sure, but the fact that the OP was speeding caused the police officer to pull him/her over, which caused the delay in reaching the animal.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">