• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Georgia Gas Meter

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

mattmann34

I owe no money but couldn't wait 7 days for them to turn the gas back on so I cut the lock and turned it on myself...should I retain a lawyer or will they simply fine me; no damage was done to the meter. I can't find anything on how the gas company handles this situation.

Mass_Shyster

I owe no money but couldn't wait 7 days for them to turn the gas back on so I cut the lock and turned it on myself...should I retain a lawyer or will they simply fine me; no damage was done to the meter. I can't find anything on how the gas company handles this situation.
Was this a lock or a seal? What did you use to cut it off?

Silverplum

Apologies - it was locked due to late payment (oversight on my part - I was out of town for a few weeks and overlooked it).
So you were late (months late) and it was locked. You paid up, and refused to wait the seven days to restore service, cutting their lock.

Is that the correct story?

Mass_Shyster

I can't find anything on how the gas company handles this situation.
That's because they don't publish what they will do, otherwise people would abuse the system even more.

What they will do really depends on the gas company policies.

When the tech shows up to turn on the gas, he may simply scratch his head wondering why they sent him out to turn of the gas that was already on. Maybe he'll think to himself "Good thing nobody found out I forgot to turn off the gas". Maybe it's too much paperwork and he'll simply report that he turned on the gas.

On the other hand, maybe he gets a bonus for each person he catches tampering with the locks.

There's no way anyone here can predict what will happen.

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
Or, maybe, they report this to the police.

http://law.onecle.com/georgia/16/16-7-22.html

OP could be looking at prison for 1-10 years.

mattmann34

That's because they don't publish what they will do, otherwise people would abuse the system even more.

What they will do really depends on the gas company policies.

When the tech shows up to turn on the gas, he may simply scratch his head wondering why they sent him out to turn of the gas that was already on. Maybe he'll think to himself "Good thing nobody found out I forgot to turn off the gas". Maybe it's too much paperwork and he'll simply report that he turned on the gas.

On the other hand, maybe he gets a bonus for each person he catches tampering with the locks.

There's no way anyone here can predict what will happen.
Yea - that's pretty much what I was thinking...don't think they'll put me in jail for a first offense misdemeanor - just thought I'd see if anyone here knew.

Thanks!

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">