• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Domestic Violence - 8th time in 5.5 years

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

JenBoMo

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Alabama

My daughters boyfriend beat her in the face and leg causing severe bruising, bleeding and swelling. She signed a warrant and he was arrested and bailed out. The charge is listed as Domestic Violence 3rd (Assault 3rd). We have found out that this is his 8th arrest for the same charge in the past 6 years. Other previous charges include Criminal Trespassing 3rd and 1st. What is likely to be his sentence? I hope they lock him up for a LONG time.

LdiJ

My daughters boyfriend beat her in the face and leg causing severe bruising, bleeding and swelling. She signed a warrant and he was arrested and bailed out. The charge is listed as Domestic Violence 3rd (Assault 3rd). We have found out that this is his 8th arrest for the same charge in the past 6 years. Other previous charges include Criminal Trespassing 3rd and 1st. What is likely to be his sentence? I hope they lock him up for a LONG time.
Much will depend on how well your daughter cooperates with the prosecution. Many women go right back to their abusers and then refuse to cooperate.

JenBoMo

She Will Cooperate

She is ready to see him in jail...she will cooperate fully. No she will not go back. The previous arrests are on different women...this is the first time he did this to her and will be the last.

Ohiogal

Queen Bee
She is ready to see him in jail...she will cooperate fully. No she will not go back. The previous arrests are on different women...this is the first time he did this to her and will be the last.
Arrests don't matter. How many times has he been convicted? You cannot guarantee that she will cooperate fully. You don't know that because you don't control her. She is an adult and may decide she loves him.

TheGeekess

Keeper of the Kraken

Section 13A-6-22
Assault in the third degree.

(a) A person commits the crime of assault in the third degree if:

(1) With intent to cause physical injury to another person, he causes physical injury to any person; or

(2) He recklessly causes physical injury to another person; or

(3) With criminal negligence he causes physical injury to another person by means of a deadly weapon or a dangerous instrument; or

(4) With intent to prevent a peace officer from performing a lawful duty, he causes physical injury to any person.

(b) Assault in the third degree is a Class A misdemeanor.
(Acts 1977, No. 607, p. 812, §2103.)
http://alisondb.legislature.state.al.us/acas/CodeOfAlabama/1975/13A-6-22.htm

Section 13A-6-132
Domestic violence - Third degree.

(a) A person commits domestic violence in the third degree if the person commits the crime of assault in the third degree pursuant to Section 13A-6-22; the crime of menacing pursuant to Section 13A-6-23; the crime of reckless endangerment pursuant to Section 13A-6-24; the crime of criminal coercion pursuant to Section 13A-6-25; the crime of harassment pursuant to subsection (a) of Section 13A-11-8; the crime of criminal surveillance pursuant to Section 13A-11-32; the crime of harassing communications pursuant to subsection (b) of Section 13A-11-8; the crime of criminal trespass in the third degree pursuant to Section 13A-7-4; the crime of criminal mischief in the second or third degree pursuant to Sections 13A-7-22 and 13A-7-23; or the crime of arson in the third degree pursuant to Section 13A-7-43; and the victim is a current or former spouse, parent, child, any person with whom the defendant has a child in common, a present or former household member, or a person who has or had a dating or engagement relationship with the defendant. Domestic violence in the third degree is a Class A misdemeanor.

(b) The minimum term of imprisonment imposed under subsection (a) shall be 30 days without consideration of reduction in time if a defendant willfully violates a protection order issued by a court of competent jurisdiction and in the process of violating the order commits domestic violence in the third degree.

(c) A second conviction under subsection (a) is a Class A misdemeanor, except the defendant shall serve a minimum term of imprisonment of 10 days in a city or county jail or detention facility without consideration for any reduction in time.

(d) A third or subsequent conviction under subsection (a) is a Class C felony.

(e) For purposes of determining second, third, or subsequent number of convictions, convictions in municipal court shall be included.
(Act 2000-266, p. 411, §3; Act 2011-581, p. 1273, §1.)
http://alisondb.legislature.state.al.us/acas/CodeOfAlabama/1975/13A-6-132.htm

http://alisondb.legislature.state.al.us/acas/CodeOfAlabama/1975/147495.htm
http://alisondb.legislature.state.al.us/acas/CodeOfAlabama/1975/147410.htm

dave33

Well, if this truly is his 8th arrest for a domestic issue, than hopefully he has been convicted and was on probation when the incident took place. A probation violation would be good for you.

Regardless, it's basically impossible to give an accurate estimate of what his sentence will be. goodluck.

JenBoMo

He was found guilty all prior 7

Exactly.

I'd like to think the the court would have remanded him without bail if his conviction history matched his arrest history.
He pled guilty the first 6 times and received anger management and a small fine. The 7th time he pled not guilty and was found guilty at trial and served 60 days. The last guilty conviction was in 2007. When he was arrested this time, he was released on bail. His bail was $1350. I'm so frustrated that this guy just gets a slap on the hand and he's back at it. During his 7th conviction he lost his Second Amendment rights too.

Ladyback1

Funny, but your other thread says a "friend"

https://forum.freeadvice.com/domestic-violence-abuse-38/8th-domestic-violence-600333.html

JenBoMo

Funny, but your other thread says a "friend"

https://forum.freeadvice.com/domestic-violence-abuse-38/8th-domestic-violence-600333.html
It was my daughter's boyfriend. It's hard to admit that. And, does it matter really? I am looking for answers to the question regardless of the person involved.

TheGeekess

Keeper of the Kraken
He pled guilty the first 6 times and received anger management and a small fine. The 7th time he pled not guilty and was found guilty at trial and served 60 days. The last guilty conviction was in 2007. When he was arrested this time, he was released on bail. His bail was $1350. I'm so frustrated that this guy just gets a slap on the hand and he's back at it. During his 7th conviction he lost his Second Amendment rights too.
Have you even looked at (much less read) the links I posted earlier in this thread? :cool:

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">