• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Military Involvement in a Divorve

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

theycallmedan

I am stationed at Camp Lejeune, NC. I am wondering what types of things my command can tell me to do with my impending divorce with my wife. Do I need to show them proof that the divorce is taking place? Are they able to give me a "lawful order" to show them documentation? I have had a long battle over this and would like to have some real legal advice. I do not want to give my command any ammunition to use against me on this subject. Please shed any light you can.

Thank you,

CPL USMC

CSO286

I am stationed at Camp Lejeune, NC. I am wondering what types of things my command can tell me to do with my impending divorce with my wife. Do I need to show them proof that the divorce is taking place? Are they able to give me a "lawful order" to show them documentation? I have had a long battle over this and would like to have some real legal advice. I do not want to give my command any ammunition to use against me on this subject. Please shed any light you can.

Thank you,

CPL USMC
When you enlisted, you made your person property of the USMC--and therefore subject to to the orders of your superior officers. Yes, they can order you to provide updates on your divorce proceedings.

Or, since divorces are a matter of public record, they can keeps tabs on it that way.

TinkerBelleLuvr

What kind of information are they asking? And the armed forces expect their soldiers to take care of their dependents and spouses until that divorce is over.

Shadowbunny

Queen of the Not-Rights
"I do not want to give my command any ammunition to use against me on this subject."

What, exactly, do you think they would do with this "ammunition"? Is the divorce due to adultery? Drug abuse? Domestic violence? What are you fearing?

Proserpina

"I do not want to give my command any ammunition to use against me on this subject."

What, exactly, do you think they would do with this "ammunition"? Is the divorce due to adultery? Drug abuse? Domestic violence? What are you fearing?

I do believe you're correct.

Thank you,

CPL USMC
Consult a JAG officer. It will cost you nothing and you will get better advice than you could hope for on an Internet forum. Good luck.

theycallmedan

My spouse has been dragging her feet on the divorce and my command has been searching for a way to NJP me. Such as a false/contract marriage. I cannot force my wife to sign anything when she keeps interjecting with a lawyer. I can say that my command has investigated me for adultery since I have female friends. They have also investigated me for wrongful cohabitation, since I live with my friend and his wife. My command believes that I have to provide them with my legal paperwork of my divorce to prove that I am making headway. I do not believe that they are able to order me to give them any of my personal, legal paperwork. Am I wrong?

Ohiogal

Queen Bee
My spouse has been dragging her feet on the divorce and my command has been searching for a way to NJP me. Such as a false/contract marriage. I cannot force my wife to sign anything when she keeps interjecting with a lawyer. I can say that my command has investigated me for adultery since I have female friends. They have also investigated me for wrongful cohabitation, since I live with my friend and his wife. My command believes that I have to provide them with my legal paperwork of my divorce to prove that I am making headway. I do not believe that they are able to order me to give them any of my personal, legal paperwork. Am I wrong?
Yes you are wrong. When you enter the military, you give up certain rights -- such as the right to privacy.

Ohiogal

Queen Bee
I have to ask if you have any references to any Military Orders in relation to my rights to privacy being forfeited?
As a member of the military, you are required to follow any lawful order. There is nothing unlawful about your command demanding copies of your divorce paperwork. That paperwork is NOT private quite frankly. It is public record. If you don't follow the lawful orders, you can be discharged.

milmom

Speaking from experience chains don't ask for divorce documentation to verify progress. I would guess you've given them some reason not to trust what you're telling them. Generally leadership doesn't just arbitrarily pick people to target for non judicial punishment. If you feel you are being wrongly treated contact legal and run it by them. If you have nothing to hide you would show them something.

As a supervisor I wouldn't ask for documentation proof unless I was dealing with someone that had a history of dishonesty... I have a feeling this is the case.

Shadowbunny

Queen of the Not-Rights
..... my command has been searching for a way to NJP me. Such as a false/contract marriage. .. I can say that my command has investigated me for adultery since I have female friends. They have also investigated me for wrongful cohabitation, since I live with my friend and his wife. ...

So again, what are you so fearful that they'll find in the paperwork? Proof that it was a fraudulent marriage? Proof of adultery? Methinks you're in that notorious 10% that takes up 90% of Command's time.

CJane

My spouse has been dragging her feet on the divorce and my command has been searching for a way to NJP me.
Your command has nothing better to do than to "search for ways to NJP" you? Really? You must be a member of the only command on the planet with nothing worthwhile to do.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">