• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Underage alcohol

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

thecody

Sometimes you guys get distracted.

"Just hanging" is not a life, it's an existence. Quit hanging with slackers, find something you want to DO, and do it.
o.....k. I had a busy day winning hockey so I earned some hanging time.

First, a minor in possession of alcohol in New York is a civil and not a criminal offense. You probably received a summons and you will need to appear in court to address the matter. What you face is a $50 fine, up to 30 hours of community service, and you can be ordered to attend an alcohol awareness program. For a look at the law (Section 65C of New York's Alcohol Beverage Control law), here is a link: http://codes.lp.findlaw.com/nycode/ABC/5/65-c
I got a summons. And so no actual criminal conviction, right? No locking up?

You can also face problems at school, with the worst case scenario being expulsion - but you may escape with academic probation.
yeah i'm already on behavior contract so I hope not. They didn't have anything to do with it so far.

It appears that you have a foster family that cares about you a lot, thecody. Please remember this and try to work with them by avoiding situations that can get you in trouble, even if this means giving up some of the friends you have now who may not be great influences.

Good luck.
they do care about me and I been living with them for like forever - a year almost and I don't want to mess up for them. I know that I screwed up. They're all over me right now. I know tht I did the wrong thing. I swear that I try to do good but sometimes I still just do stupid stuff. I don't know. That just was normal. That's not an excuse. You just can get...I don't know - stuck doing the same things.
I don't want a lengthy criminal record.

Now that depends.

Many municipalities have their own alcohol-related offenses on the books, so Cody may not get off that easy.

What are the ages of the people involved and where did this occur?
Like 15-17, nyc

CdwJava

they do care about me and I been living with them for like forever - a year almost and I don't want to mess up for them. I know that I screwed up. They're all over me right now. I know tht I did the wrong thing. I swear that I try to do good but sometimes I still just do stupid stuff. I don't know. That just was normal. That's not an excuse. You just can get...I don't know - stuck doing the same things.
There is no "try." You either DO, or you DO NOT. No "try." These are conscious decisions you make. It takes intent, effort and planning to conceal booze in a water bottle. That's not trying. You CHOSE to do wrong and you were not concerned with the consequences because the consequences - be they legal or personal - are not severe enough to give you pause. Only when you decide it's time to stop hanging with idiots and losers will you CHOOSE to do right and straighten up.

You are well on the way to the primrose path to a lengthy criminal history. Petty offenses like the ones you are repeatedly engaged in are the foundation blocks upon which felony careers are built.

stealth2

Under the Radar Member

o.....k. I had a busy day winning hockey so I earned some hanging time.

said it before, will sat it again - you are lucky you do not live with me. There would not have been any hockey for you, or any opportunity to "hang" with your JD friends. You would be on restriction.

Really? They need to put you in Juvie at this point, since you refuse to follow rules.

yeah i'm already on behavior contract so I hope not. They didn't have anything to do with it so far.

That won't last.

So start making better choices. Because you ARE letting them down every time. Over, and over, and over.

quincy

Yup. :)

If this was your first alcohol offense, and going by state law and not whatever municipal law HighwayMan might find that could apply, I would say "yes. If you were just issued a summons, this is not a criminal offense and there is no jail time." BUT, as you no doubt noticed by our posts, New York appears to have municipal laws that vary in some way from state law - so I would not count on me being right. So you will want to wait to hear from a New Yorker who better understands these variations or you can contact an attorney in your area to see what the summons means for you.

I have a sneaking suspicion that the school will hear about this. What they will do about it, though - seeing as how you are already operating under a "behavior contract" - is a question mark. I imagine you will find out soon enough.

I recommend you involve yourself in (if possible in advance of your court appearance) a community service activity. I recommend you devote all of your "free" hours outside of school to this service activity, so that you do not have any time left to do stupid stuff. Make the community service activity your new "stuck doing the same things." I think you will find that doing stuff for others makes you feel good. You might want to ask your foster parents for suggestions on service activities in your area. I suggest you rely on them to help you.

Good luck, thecody.

thecody

There is no "try." You either DO, or you DO NOT. No "try." These are conscious decisions you make. It takes intent, effort and planning to conceal booze in a water bottle.
I wasn't involved in that part. yeah I should have just left again but I didn't.
I really didn't make any plans before to be there.

You CHOSE to do wrong and you were not concerned with the consequences because the consequences - be they legal or personal - are not severe enough to give you pause.
well now I know what the personal consequences anyways are. and what they expect.

You are well on the way to the primrose path to a lengthy criminal history. Petty offenses like the ones you are repeatedly engaged in are the foundation blocks upon which felony careers are built.
What is "primrose path"?

No, I'm not having a felony career.

said it before, will sat it again - you are lucky you do not live with me. There would not have been any hockey for you, or any opportunity to "hang" with your JD friends. You would be on restriction.
well it's not like you would ever be given any foster kids so I don't think it matters.
Oh no hockey. Oh ok. bc that's so bad for me. You think we're there to have fun?? we work hard.
:rolleyes:
if I was your foster kid i'd be like, where's the window.

Really? They need to put you in Juvie at this point, since you refuse to follow rules.
I don't 'refuse' to follow rules. I've been following rules for ages. Then I did something wrong. Nobody's perfect.

If this was your first alcohol offense, and going by state law and not whatever municipal law HighwayMan might find that could apply, I would say "yes. If you were just issued a summons, this is not a criminal offense and there is no jail time." BUT, as you no doubt noticed by our posts, New York appears to have municipal laws that vary in some way from state law - so I would not count on me being right. So you will want to wait to hear from a New Yorker who better understands these variations or you can contact an attorney in your area to see what the summons means for you.
Yeah, it's the first. Ok, thanks. Hopefully I can find out more before court.

I have a sneaking suspicion that the school will hear about this. What they will do about it, though - seeing as how you are already operating under a "behavior contract" - is a question mark. I imagine you will find out soon enough.
hmmm. yeah I have no idea. I've been doing ok there so I hope that counts for something. and it's not like I did something AT school.

Yeah, my fosters think like you quincy, they already got me into doing different stuff (before this), and getting back into hockey aswell, even if stealth thinks it's the devils sport. I just didn't have anything scheduled for a Saturday nite...

I don't know why you guys think I spend all my time hanging around and with losers. If you look at my last few threads here - 1 was at school, 1 was on my way to school, 1 was just after school. And my first one was at school. And when I got arrested it was school too. I think it's obvious tht school is the problem.

Anyways - I'm still interested - so when exactly can a cop just take bottles from people and open them up to smell them?

stealth2

Under the Radar Member
well it's not like you would ever be given any foster kids so I don't think it matters.
Oh no hockey. Oh ok. bc that's so bad for me. You think we're there to have fun?? we work hard.

I actually had few rules for my kids. But yeah, if they insisted on getting into trouble and felt entitled to hangout drinking vodka after their activity? The activity would be put on hold.

I don't 'refuse' to follow rules. I've been following rules for ages. Then I did something wrong. Nobody's perfect.

Well, yes, you do. Or you wouldn't keep coming back with issues with the cops. People who follow society's rules rarely have repeated run-ins with the cops.

Yeah, it's the first. Ok, thanks. Hopefully I can find out more before court.

hmmm. yeah I have no idea. I've been doing ok there so I hope that counts for something. and it's not like I did something AT school.

Yeah, my fosters think like you quincy, they already got me into doing different stuff (before this), and getting back into hockey aswell, even if stealth thinks it's the devils sport. I just didn't have anything scheduled for a Saturday nite...

Actually, my daughter plays hockey.

I don't know why you guys think I spend all my time hanging around and with losers. If you look at my last few threads here - 1 was at school, 1 was on my way to school, 1 was just after school. And my first one was at school. And when I got arrested it was school too. I think it's obvious tht school is the problem.

Maybe because the people you seem to hang out with lead you to make poor decisions and attract the attention of law enforcement?

Anyways - I'm still interested - so when exactly can a cop just take bottles from people and open them up to smell them?
When it's a bunch of minors acting drunk, and have an empty bottle of vodka in their midst.

Proserpina

Cody, it's that attitude that's going to keep landing you in trouble if you don't change your ways lickety split.

You're still in "blame everyone else but me" mode, and that's fine. It happens. But at some point you're going to have to own your mistakes and start behaving like a responsible adult.

CdwJava

well now I know what the personal consequences anyways are. and what they expect.
Yet, it did not deter you.

What is "primrose path"?
Think, "Yellow Brick Road."

No, I'm not having a felony career.
Wow ... I have heard THAT one before! You may not intend to, but, nearly 100% of career felons started down their path through repeated and continuous lesser offenses. If you do not straighten out and quick, your future is pretty much easily predictable.

A foster parent that lets their foster child run the roost is no better than the parent that lost custody to begin with.

Oh, and while stealth may NOT be a foster parent, *I* am! And there WOULD be consequences for such behavior!

Then you chose NOT to follow the rules. Life is about choices. You are making some poor ones. Not being perfect is forgetting to cross a "t" in an essay, or forgetting to lock the front door when you go to school. Concealing alcohol in water bottles and drinking it, and then complaining that the cops might have illegally searched your stash (i.e. he was smart enough to bust you) THAT is a conscious choice!

No, SCHOOL isn't the problem; following the rules - and the law - is the problem. YOUR problem.

When he has probable cause to believe they contain contraband as this officer did.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">