• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Drug addictive terrorizes his grandma

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

povelniu

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Illinois. Hello there. My nephew is terrorizing my mom (his own grandma) in her own home. Kid has no place to live, so my mom took him in. He is 20 years old. He is using some kind of drugs and very often getting very violent. He throws or kicks things around the house, verbally abuses my mom, even threatens to beat her physically or talks profanities about torching her by pulling her eyeball out, etc. Next day he does not remember what he have done or said, or at least he says he doesn't. My brother refuses to take him to his new family due to other three youngsters in the house. Since he is a young adult, without his consent there is no way to put him in some kind of rehabilitation clinic, or is it? A few weeks ago he got arrested for some kind of minor offense (got himself into a fight and took someones glasses off; cops found these glasses among his belongings, so he was taken to a custody). He insulted the court by kicking and spitting around, and he was assigned a psychiatric expertise. I don't know the results, but taking into account his mental instability and that he was arrested before, is there any way to put him into rehabilitation facility by force without his consent? Thank you.

Last edited:

Proserpina

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Illinois. Hello there. My nephew is terrorizing my mom (his own grandma) in her own home. Kid has no place to live, so my mom took him in. He is 20 years old. He is using some kind of drugs and very often getting very violent. He throws or kicks things around the house, verbally abuses my mom, even threatens to beat her physically or talks profanities about torching her by pulling her eyeball out, etc. Next day he does not remember what he have done or said, or at least he says he doesn't. My brother refuses to take him to his new family due to other three youngsters in the house. Since he is a young adult, without his consent there is no way to put him in some kind of rehabilitation clinic, or is it? A few weeks ago he got arrested for some kind of minor offense (got himself into a fight and took someones glasses off; cops found these glasses among his belongings, so he was taken to a custody). He insulted the court by kicking and spitting around, and he was assigned a psychiatric expertise. I don't know the results, but taking into account his mental instability and that he was arrested before, is there any way to put him into rehabilitation facility by force without his consent? Thank you.

She needs to evict him.

You cannot force someone into rehab against their will unless the court orders it to happen...and that's a murky premise to begin with.

povelniu

Thank you, Proserpina. Should she call cops when violent episode occurs? Eviction would not be necessary, because legally he is not living with her, just "visiting". Besides, he is her first grandson, so she wants to help him. She is trying to be nice with him and blames drugs. If I was there and he would insult my mom in front of me, I would just probably nock him down right away. I don't know though what kind of influence do drugs do to his branes and if he would be able to remember what he was beaten for or if it's even worth to try to stand up against his violence with his own medicine. It's like V. Putin's aggression against Ukraine - talks or sanctions are not effective, so maybe some force against the force would do more good. I just don't want to make things worse than it is now.

povelniu

How long has he been staying there?
Just a few days. First time he came like 6-7 weeks ago, but after a couple of days he have been gone for a month or so. After being arrested he came back for a couple of times, but again - he stays for a couple of days and goes away for a week or so. Now he is back.

Last edited:

LdiJ

Thank you, Proserpina. Should she call cops when violent episode occurs? Eviction would not be necessary, because legally he is not living with her, just "visiting". Besides, he is her first grandson, so she wants to help him. She is trying to be nice with him and blames drugs. If I was there and he would insult my mom in front of me, I would just probably nock him down right away. I don't know though what kind of influence do drugs do to his branes and if he would be able to remember what he was beaten for or if it's even worth to try to stand up against his violence with his own medicine. It's like V. Putin's aggression against Ukraine - talks or sanctions are not effective, so maybe some force against the force would do more good. I just don't want to make things worse than it is now.
I think that yes, she absolutely should call the cops if he gets violent with her, and then maybe follow through with a restraining order. The problem is going to be to convince her to do so.

povelniu

I think that yes, she absolutely should call the cops if he gets violent with her, and then maybe follow through with a restraining order. The problem is going to be to convince her to do so.
Thank you for your response. I tried, she doesn't want to do anything like that.

Last edited:

povelniu

She needs to evict him.

You cannot force someone into rehab against their will unless the court orders it to happen...and that's a murky premise to begin with.
What is the way to get a court to order a forced placement to rehab clinic? Is it just file some kind of summon?

Ohiogal

Queen Bee
She needs to take the steps of doing something. YOU cannot. You could find yourself being arrested or hurt if you intervene. if your mother wants him out, she needs to call the police or file for a restraining order.

Pinkie39

What is the way to get a court to order a forced placement to rehab clinic? Is it just file some kind of summon?[/Quote

I'm going to let you know from experience that it's next to impossible. I have a severely mentally ill adult relative. He refuses to see a doctor or get back on medication. He's completely unstable, and has attacked and threatened an elderly female relative who he lives with. He was arrested once, held overnight, and then released. The prosecutor wouldn't press charges, saying it was a "he said/she said" situation.

He spent time in a mental hospital some years prior to this, and needs to be committed again, but doing so has been impossible. We live in a state where a number of public mental hospitals have been closed, and funding for mental health treatment has been drastically slashed.

I worry that my relative is going to end up seriously injuring or killing himself or someone else, because my family's hands are essentially tied. Like your relative, mine also refuses to put him out of the house. I hope you can convince your relative to get your nephew out of the house before he hurts her.

povelniu

She needs to take the steps of doing something. YOU cannot. You could find yourself being arrested or hurt if you intervene. if your mother wants him out, she needs to call the police or file for a restraining order.
It is not that simple. It is not a problem to get him out, she did it once. Two days later he called and asked her to take him back. He sounded calm, so she took him back. Everything was all right for a day, but then he got aggressive again. Tonight he suppose to leave her place for good. I am furious knowing how he verbally abuses my mother. On the other hand I want to help him as much as my mother does. The problem is, he refuses any help or to seek help himself. Sooner or later he will get himself in trouble. Nobody wants him to get hurt or die from overdose, or even worse - to kill somebody. He really needs professional help, so how we can place him into some kind of clinic without his consent? How can we get him to a court so that he would be forced to get help he needs? How to get that court order? As I was told, he doesn't understand and can't control his actions. His behavior in court supports that, it is something wrong with his mental health. He might be dangerous and might hurt himself or others.

Pinkie39

It is not that simple. It is not a problem to get him out, shbecause ogdid it once. Two days later he called and asked her to take him back. He sounded calm, so she took him back. Everything was all right for a day, but then he got aggressive again. Tonight he suppose to leave her place for good. I am furious knowing how he verbally abuses my mother. On the other hand I want to help him as much as my mother does. The problem is, he refuses any help or to seek help himself. Sooner or later he will get himself in trouble. Nobody wants him to get hurt or die from overdose, or even worse - to kill somebody. He really needs professional help, so how we can place him into some kind of clinic without his consent? How can we get him to a court so that he would be forced to get help he needs? How to get that court order? As I was told, he doesn't understand and can't control his actions. His behavior in court supports that, it is something wrong with his mental health. He might be dangerous and might hurt himself or others.
That's the problem. It's incredibly difficult to get an adult involuntarily committed because of mental illness. If it was simple, there wouldn't be so many of these shooting rampages in this country.

IF your nephew does end up being held at a hospital, he's almost certainly going to just be held for a day, maybe three days at the most, and be released. I'm no expert on mental health laws, but I honestly do know about this from personal experience.

povelniu

I'm going to let you know from experience that it's next to impossible. I have a severely mentally ill adult relative. He refuses to see a doctor or get back on medication. He's completely unstable, and has attacked and threatened an elderly female relative who he lives with. He was arrested once, held overnight, and then released. The prosecutor wouldn't press charges, saying it was a "he said/she said" situation.

He spent time in a mental hospital some years prior to this, and needs to be committed again, but doing so has been impossible. We live in a state where a number of public mental hospitals have been closed, and funding for mental health treatment has been drastically slashed.

I worry that my relative is going to end up seriously injuring or killing himself or someone else, because my family's hands are essentially tied. Like your relative, mine also refuses to put him out of the house. I hope you can convince your relative to get your nephew out of the house before he hurts her.
Thank you for sharing your story. Now I will know that there is not much can be done. That might help me to convince my mother to let events go their own way.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">