• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

ex wife still using my last name

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

kelliejc

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Missouri, My husbands ex wife is still using our last name,even though she asked for and was granted the return of her maiden name,She has a criminal past of fraud and theft. Is it leagle for her to keep using our last name?

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Missouri, My husbands ex wife is still using our last name,even though she asked for and was granted the return of her maiden name,She has a criminal past of fraud and theft. Is it leagle for her to keep using our last name?
Oh brother!

Hey, Mrs. Smith, there are tens of thousands of women out there using "your" last name...why do you think it's "yours"?

No, you can't force another person to change their name just because it reminds you of the fact that your husband was with her before you.

Ladyback1

muhahahahahahaha....:D

No, hun, he (nor you) can force her to take back her maiden name. It is legal for her to keep her married name.

I find this particular subject funny, because my Ex threatened to take me back to court and FORCE me to take back my maiden name. He said he didn't want any connection whatsoever with me....he forgot the fact that we have children together--so much for no connection.

Reactions: LED

Pinkie39

My brother's first wife still uses his last name, even though they've been divorced for at least a decade now, and my brother is remarried. Neither he nor his current wife care.

ecmst12

It's her name and she can use it if she wants. You can always go back to using your maiden name if it bothers you that much. In fact, you and your husband can BOTH change your names.

Proserpina

As everyone else has indicated, yes - of course she can keep HER last name. He kind of gifted it to her when they got married, and there isn't a court in the land going to force her to change it against her wishes.

Just Blue

Are you and the ponce you are married to willing to go to court to prevent EVERYONE with his/your last name to change it? I MIGHT have your last name...Are you willing to come to Mass to FORCE me to change my name??:rolleyes:

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
Is it leagle for her to keep using our last name?

Just in case it isn't clear to you by now, Yes. It is legal for her to keep using HER last name. Neither you nor your husband owns it outright.

Reactions: LED

Indiana Filer

I have a cousin who got married several times, twice to woman named Judy. Two of his ex-wives have the exact (including middle) name, since neither opted to use their maiden names after their marriages to my cousin. The second Judy was his fourth wife. We liked to tease him that he realized he had so many wives and ex-wives that he needed to repeat names to keep from getting in trouble in the middle of the night for saying the wrong name!

(After that 4th divorce, he finally realized he's just not cut out to be a husband. Personally, I think he should have stopped after two. If you have more than two failed marriages, you got issues. Either you suck at picking a spouse, or you suck at being a spouse.

BL

My X used my last name till I divorced her ,then she remarried took his last name,so now he's in the lower bowls of the earth or above the sky. Guess She can clain my bennies when I'm gone too. .

BL

I have a cousin who got married several times, twice to woman named Judy. Two of his ex-wives have the exact (including middle) name, since neither opted to use their maiden names after their marriages to my cousin. The second Judy was his fourth wife. We liked to tease him that he realized he had so many wives and ex-wives that he needed to repeat names to keep from getting in trouble in the middle of the night for saying the wrong name!

(After that 4th divorce, he finally realized he's just not cut out to be a husband. Personally, I think he should have stopped after two. If you have more than two failed marriages, you got issues. Either you suck at picking a spouse, or you suck at being a spouse.
No never say the wrong name . LMAO.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">