• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Caught driving on a suspended license. Paid original fine. Ignored ADOT class

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Status
Not open for further replies.

kecochra

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?Arizona

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Arizona

In Arizona, Adot (dept. of transportation) will send a letter forcing a driver to take a traffic survival school. usually after getting a red light ticket, or too many points on record. ( I paid the original ticket) but disregarded the Adot letter.

My car got towed. This got my attention, and I took the survival class the same day. Got my license back in 2 days, and car out of tow lot after license back. $350 lesson.

Now am fighting in court and got 2 continuances. Any practical defense ideas? The judge is a tough one. I do have a financial hardship at this time and could do without the added points and fines.

Hardship: (was a $7500 fraud victim in a case that is in superior court and I can show this, that is one reason I avoided Adot class)

The statute ARS 28-3473 seems to imply that reinstatement and fees should satisfy the court, but the prosecutor won't budge and wants $200.
I know you can't drive on a suspended license, but I paid original (red light) violation fine. I pleaded not guilt to driving on a suspended license to have a chance at defending myself.

Again, the red light ticket was paid, but I ignored the adot demand to take traffic survival class which led to suspension/tow.
Any ideas? File a motion to dismiss? Type a request and send to the Prosecutor?

Thanks

Last edited:

Ohiogal

Queen Bee
What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?Arizona

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Arizona

In Arizona, Adot (dept. of transportation) will send a letter forcing a driver to take a traffic survival school. usually after getting a red light ticket, or too many points on record. ( I paid the original ticket) but disregarded the Adot letter.

My car got towed. This got my attention, and I took the survival class the same day. Got my license back in 2 days, and car out of tow lot after license back. $350 lesson.

Now am fighting in court and got 2 continuances. Any practical defense ideas? The judge is a tough one. I do have a financial hardship at this time and could do without the added points and fines.

Hardship: (was a $7500 fraud victim in a case that is in superior court and I can show this, that is one reason I avoided Adot class)

The statute ARS 28-3473 seems to imply that reinstatement and fees should satisfy the court, but the prosecutor won't budge and wants $200.
I know you can't drive on a suspended license, but I paid original (red light) violation fine. I pleaded not guilt to driving on a suspended license to have a chance at defending myself.

Again, the red light ticket was paid, but I ignored the adot demand to take traffic survival class which led to suspension/tow.
Any ideas? File a motion to dismiss? Type a request and send to the Prosecutor?

Thanks
You are in over your head. You broke the law and expect pity. You ignored the letter and now think you have an excuse. You don't. You were guilty for driving on a suspended license. And if you can't afford to pay money, you may find yourself ordered to do community service. This is what your ignorance has led to.

kecochra

You are in over your head. You broke the law and expect pity. You ignored the letter and now think you have an excuse. You don't. You were guilty for driving on a suspended license. And if you can't afford to pay money, you may find yourself ordered to do community service. This is what your ignorance has led to.

Anybody who is knowledgeable have any real ACTUAL good advice in beating the traffic courts? There are always two sides in a matter, and the courts are not always right on all issues, otherwise there would be no need for Lawyers.

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">