• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Can I collect Arrears?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

cshelp

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? SC/GA

I live in SC, which is where divorce took place and I live with our daughter. My ex lives in GA with our son.

My son, who will be 18 next month, wanted to live with his dad, so in Feb he moved to GA to live with his dad. Our daughter wanted to stay with me. Both kids are in school. Our son still has 2 more years of school left. When he moved to dad's I voluntarily dropped CS since we both had a child. He is approx. $5000 in arrears due to the hit the construction industry took a few years ago. Dad has a girlfriend and together they are doing well and are buying things the kids have never had (for his kids and her kids). Is there any hope of me collecting the arrears now that he and his GF are now doing well and he has some money.

Examples of the extra money are they bought all 4 kids brand new L.L. Bean bookbags for school this year along will every item on the list plus others. They also all got **** or Sketchers shoes or Boots, what ever they wanted. New clothes and everything.

Just Blue

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? SC/GA

I live in SC, which is where divorce took place and I live with our daughter. My ex lives in GA with our son.

My son, who will be 18 next month, wanted to live with his dad, so in Feb he moved to GA to live with his dad. Our daughter wanted to stay with me. Both kids are in school. Our son still has 2 more years of school left. When he moved to dad's I voluntarily dropped CS since we both had a child. He is approx. $5000 in arrears due to the hit the construction industry took a few years ago. Dad has a girlfriend and together they are doing well and are buying things the kids have never had (for his kids and her kids). Is there any hope of me collecting the arrears now that he and his GF are now doing well and he has some money.

Examples of the extra money are they bought all 4 kids brand new L.L. Bean bookbags for school this year along will every item on the list plus others. They also all got **** or Sketchers shoes or Boots, what ever they wanted. New clothes and everything.
If there is a CS order that ex is arrears for ...Yes. You can take action to collect. DO NOT EXPECT the girlfriend to be, in any way, shape or form a responcible party to child support for either of your children.

cshelp

Even though I voluntarily dropped the Child Support myself I can still get his money?

I thought it was household income that was taken into consideration. His job has picked up with new construction and summer (he does heating and air) a lot and she is in the medical field and makes good money too.

His dad had to take call the last weekend my daughter was down there and his girlfriend was working a 24 hour shift on the ambulance and my daughter had to babysit her daughter for 2 hours!!!! I think the girlfriend should have left work instead of my daughter watching her 11 year old.

TheGeekess

Keeper of the Kraken
Even though I voluntarily dropped the Child Support myself I can still get his money?

I thought it was household income that was taken into consideration. His job has picked up with new construction and summer (he does heating and air) a lot and she is in the medical field and makes good money too.

His dad had to take call the last weekend my daughter was down there and his girlfriend was working a 24 hour shift on the ambulance and my daughter had to babysit her daughter for 2 hours!!!! I think the girlfriend should have left work instead of my daughter watching her 11 year old.
No. If you dropped CS voluntarily and registered that decision with the court that ordered CS, then there are no arrears.

CS is only going to be predicated on Dad's money, not GF's.

Oh, the horrors of a teenager watching an 11 year old! Get a grip, lady. :cool:

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
No. If you dropped CS voluntarily and registered that decision with the court that ordered CS, then there are no arrears.

CS is only going to be predicated on Dad's money, not GF's.

Oh, the horrors of a teenager watching an 11 year old! Get a grip, lady. :cool:
2 hours. Heck, *I* couldn't do it!

:eek::p;)

Isis1

because your 16 year old daughter is completely incapable of taking care of an 11 year old? how irresponsible is she?

my 12 year old son can make dinner and babysit his two younger siblings (6 and 7) just fine.

cshelp

Well, I don't think it is my daughter's responsibility to watch HER child while she works. She should have just left work herself. No body will tell me where her oldest son was and why he couldn't watch the 11 year old while my ex went to work. My kids should not have to do the same things as her kids do. My son had to learn how to drive a tractor and bale hay for spending money this summer!

I didn't realize that when we split the kids up and I said he didn't have to pay child support any more that I would not get the money owed to me though.

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
Well, I don't think it is my daughter's responsibility to watch HER child while she works. She should have just left work herself. No body will tell me where her oldest son was and why he couldn't watch the 11 year old while my ex went to work. My kids should not have to do the same things as her kids do. My son had to learn how to drive a tractor and bale hay for spending money this summer!

I didn't realize that when we split the kids up and I said he didn't have to pay child support any more that I would not get the money owed to me though.
SMH

YOU don't get to dictate what the kids do while they are with him.

cshelp

MY children should not have to clean their rooms, do laundry, help with house work or yard work or things like that. THAT is what a maid and lawn service is for! SHE doesn't work in the yard because she has asthma, but expects my son to. Children should not have to work!

Just Blue

I would not tell you anything about another persons child either.

As another member has stated: "Lady get a grip".

Ladyback1

MY children should not have to clean their rooms, do laundry, help with house work or yard work or things like that. THAT is what a maid and lawn service is for! SHE doesn't work in the yard because she has asthma, but expects my son to. Children should not have to work!
And this post is a prime example of why we have so many self-indulgent, sense of entitled children these days!

You are an idiot.

Just Blue

Trolldar.:rolleyes:

cshelp

What do you mean Trolldar?

I don't like to cut grass or clean the kids rooms so I pay someone to do it. Evidently she doesn't like to do it so she makes the kids and my ex do it.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">